Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a desktop for GC2 - how does this look?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a desktop for GC2 - how does this look?

I'm not a PC guy or a gamer, so this is all very foreign to me. I've been doing some reading on the forum here regarding building vs. buying, but I got a little help from a friend of mine who is into IT. Here is what he came up with based on a few of the threads I've had him read. Does anyone have any feedback on what he is suggesting? The graphics card looks a little spendy compared to some of the builds I've seen online here, but everything I've read says that 1060 6gb is the way to go.

I'm looking to run GC2 and SIM software (still up in the air on SIM, likely some combo of FR1/TGC/JNPG). My build is in my attached garage, and as I live in Vegas, it can get pretty warm in there during the summertime. I've never actually measured the temp, but I'd guess it's around 90* F during the daytime in the summer months. Wintertime it never gets down below ~50* or so. Should I be looking to build something with easy portability?

My buddy also asked that I get feedback on the following:

How much of a difference would a dual channel 16gb (2x8gb) make over an 8gb single channel or dual channel (2x4gb), and is the difference in performance worth the extra cost?

Thanks for any feedback you guys can offer!

ram I am not sure. I fall into the camp you can never have too much ran but I don't think sim requires more than 8.

pricing looks good. Here is a prebuilt off the shelf with the same video card and slightly better processor (not needed).

Let BedBathandBeyond.com help you discover designer brands & home goods at the lowest prices online. With free shipping on EVERYTHING*. See for yourself why shoppers love our selection & award-winning customer service.

I have the same pre built cyber power except with the gtx 1070. Pretty sure the 1070 is overkill.

stick with a desktop vs portable. 90*. Should be fine. I will likely get flamed for it but google runs its data centers very warm. My sim room gets to 90*

Good luck I am sure you will get some good advice from the Pc gurus!

make sure you check out the sticky with the recommended BT adapter.

regards
    steve

sorry if it's hard to read, posting from my phone

Comment

Oh and if it will run TGC, you should be good for any other sim. 👍

Comment

You say your garage is attached, can you put the PC in an adjoining room and run cables to the garage? That is what i do. I have a garage setup and deal with both hot and cold in MI. I just run my cable through the wall to the projector, keyboard and monitor that way the PC doesn't see the extreme temps.

Comment

• drewtaylor21
          drewtaylor21 commented
          Editing a comment
          That's certainly a thought. I'll have to consult the wife about adding holes in our guest room lol

I'm not overly tech savvy but this is my gamer from costco (Black Friday). I couldn't afford for it to underperform and I didn't think it was terribly expensive ($1.5k). Most importantly I've never had any programs stutter during play (TGC, FR1, FSX) and I'd never chance saving a couple hundred and risk anything but smooth graphics given the overall sim investment. May be overkill but don't think so. FWIW.

Comment

• drewtaylor21
          drewtaylor21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Brock, based on similar feedback from some other members, I've decided to go with a built-out desktop similar to the one you've shown here. Looking forward to getting started!
      Working...
      X