Preventing ricochet from top EMT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preventing ricochet from top EMT

Shop our selection of indoor golf simulator and hitting screen enclosures, hitting screens, components, and complete packages.

im planning on DIY the Superbay enclosure from the link above. Installation starts page 16. My question is the screen is attached to a top EMT pipe but I can't see how I'd be protected from a ball hitting that top pipe and coming back at me hot. These enclosures are pretty common amongst a lot here in the forums and just curious how that issue gets alleviated. I've read about the bottom pipe solution which make sense but I'd think a PW/SW would be almost perfect angle to hit that top bar from 10ft.

Thanks for any replies

go to home depot (dot) com and look up pipe insulation......ah hell here you go:

Comment

As gene stated, I have pipe insulation on those pipes too. I also have a small net cornered up there in front too. No hot shots at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

foam doesn't help much, need to offset the EMT so it is away from where the top and sides attach, shoot me an email and I will send pics....

Comment

PM sent. Thanks

Comment

Please post up, if you can !! I'd like to see that also!

Comment

1/4" bungee runs horizontally and vertically through straps or clamps and bungee straps runs from that bungee to the EMT which is offset from the top of the screen and the corners

Comment

Boo...I can see it, but I just can't see it. (that probably doesn't make sense!). If the EMT is offset, how is the screen supported ????

Comment

• cspin
                  cspin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think what he is describing is the enclosure material (with screen inside it) being suspended away from the EMT, so that when a ball hits the screen/enclosure it deflects but not enough to where the ball contacts pipe. The EMT is basically a large frame and the screen/enclosure dimensions are smaller than that frame, and are thus protected from balls striking the frame. If you built a square frame out of EMT and wrapped the screen around the EMT to make it taught, you would have screen material right up to and wrapped around the pipe, and a ball could easily strike the top bar. However, if the screen were say 6" smaller than the pipe frame sound the top and sides, and suspended from the frame via bungees or similar, the pipe is protected. This requires an enclosure (vinyl tarp, netting, etc.) to stop balls that hit off the screen area on the top and sides. I will see if I can post a pic of what I am trying to describe. It is essentially a handgun enclosure with a screen inside it. No chance for balls to escape or to hit framing, regardless of whether it is EMT or other.

The only other option is to fabricate some sort of pipe protection for the vertical EMT on the sides and the horizontal pipe across the top. I have seen pics of fellow GSF'rs that have protected poles using strips of carpet or rubber floor mats. It needs to be more robust than simple foam pipe wrap.

• aeroburner
                  aeroburner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  i am trying to figure it out too WTH boo your looking like you are a stock holder in rope and bungees

I have insulation on mine and I also bought 2" foam and cut it into 6" strips. Covered with black out cloth and then just zip tied it all
                the way around the frame. This adds protection from a bad ricochet and also makes a nice blackout frame around the outside of the screen. Cheap too!!!

Comment

• pkim813
                  pkim813 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  erikh5014 could you post a pic of what this looks like? Have you had to test the ricochet protection? thanks!

This follows my comment above (at 8.1). Here is a pic of an enclosure where the pipe frame is well outside the enclosure and screen, protecting against ball strikes against pipe. Everything is sealed off and then the enclosure and screen are attached via straps or bungees to the pipe frame. One way to describe this is the screen/enclosure being "offset" from the frame. To make this work you need the pieces to be stitched, clipped or velro'd together...and then attached to the frame.

Comment

Mine works in a similar way - but with the curtains being velcro'd to the sides of the 'floating' screen. No chance of ever hitting the sides or top EMT.

Comment

This is on the side of the frame. I used 2" foam and I wrapped blackout cloth around it and safety pinned it cause I am too lazy to sew lol.

Comment

Originally posted by cspin View Post
                      This follows my comment above (at 8.1). Here is a pic of an enclosure where the pipe frame is well outside the enclosure and screen, protecting against ball strikes against pipe. Everything is sealed off and then the enclosure and screen are attached via straps or bungees to the pipe frame. One way to describe this is the screen/enclosure being "offset" from the frame. To make this work you need the pieces to be stitched, clipped or velro'd together...and then attached to the frame.

That looks like what I want to put together. Do you have a make and model for the side panels?

Comment

The enclosure is a Golf Swing Systems setup, and they are out of the UK. Check out their website for examples of what they build https://www.golfswingsystems.co.uk/g...closures-nets/ and here is a video of them putting one of these things together.

It is a very nice enclosure that is built to last, and probably is not cheap. The black material they use for the enclosure appears to me to be a vinyl tarp type material that is all pre-made/sewn together before they ship. The frames look to be of heavy gauge steel as well. The way the screen attaches and then side flaps Velcro over onto the screen is real slick.

Depending on your space, you may opt to hit from outside the enclosure, like in the photo above. If you have more space, you can get a larger enclosure and make it deeper and hit from inside the enclosure.

There are places in the US that can put something like this together. If it were me, I would go with something like this http://www.sportnetting.com/nets/sim...-cage-net.html and have it built to the size I needed.

I would let them sew all the netting together and depending on price sort the pipe/frame pieces locally to avoid shipping costs and/or unnecessary markup. For ease and one stop shopping, you could get the whole thing from them. Then, what I would do is buy some blackout fabric locally and drape it over the top and sides of the frame and netting, giving that nice blackout look. Note how the netting is "offset" from the frame like in the pic above.

Par2Pro and West Coast Netting could obviously also put something like this together. Not sure on pricing. Another option which is likely a step down, but still perfectly serviceable, is the Super Bay from All Sports Systems. http://www.allsportsystems.com/golf-simulator-setup.php It has the option to include blackout material. Just not sure how their setup works to "offset" the frame from the enclosure and screen, like in the above pics above.

Last, if you're getting a setup like this you really have to make sure your getting a quality impact screen. Not sure on the offerings that these places have from a screen standpoint, but if you buy the screen elsewhere it may be difficult to get it dimensioned properly to fit in the enclosure.

Comment

Working...
                        X