Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did you hand your memory foam behind your screen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How did you hand your memory foam behind your screen?

ing
    I did do a search but did not find as much as I would have hoped. My set up is pretty much done other than aesthetics but I would like to decrease some of the bounce back I'm getting while still maintaining a fairly tight screen if possible. Right now the back bounces back and rolls just past my hitting area which would be fine but I'm worried about it coming back and hitting the GC2. I have two pieces of 3" memory foam that I bought from Costco. Both are 6' wide by 7' long but I may be able to get by with one piece just backing the impact area rather than the whole screen. I would just have to deal with the difference in brightness. I use the Supertex screen.
    The problem is the memory foam is heavy (about 45-50lbs I'm guessing). I already have where to hang it FROM taken care of but trying to figure out a way to hang and test without damaging the foam in case I need to take it back. I tried using tarp clips but the clips just don't open enough to insert the 3" foam/cover. I was thinking of just biting the bullet and trying grommets into the foam but not sure if the foam would start to tear through at the grommet locations from the weight.

Any suggestions, advice, pics are greatly appreciated.

Thanks all.

I think there are duvet covers or something that you could put it in and the maybe hang it from that.

Comment

Sorry. Just noticed all the typos. Should have checked before I posted. That should be "How did you HANG your memory foam. Not sure what happened with the "ing".

Comment

I would screw 1x2 lumber or something similar in size to the ceiling with the edge of the foam between the wood and ceiling so that the entire top edge is clamped. I would think grommets would tear through after not too long.

Comment

Here's mine...
          Back at the beginning of 2015, I had a go at turning my 2 car garage into a simulator room. One of the main issues I faced was that I had to have it collapsable...

Comment

p3eps,
            I did see your post but don't you have the same problem with the duvet cover? Maybe your foam is not as thick? Mine is close to 50lbs/3" so I would think I would have the same problem. The duvet cover would be supporting all the weight at the grommets so I wouldn't expect it to hold up very long. What has your experience been? How thick is your foam? How much does it weigh? Where did you get your duvet cover and much? Is it still holding up at the grommets?

inurkou,
            The problem with your suggestion is that my ceiling is too high for that. If I clamp it at the ceiling the memory foam would only be covering the top 3rd of the screen. The rest of the foam would be above the impact area. My ceiling height at the screen is 12.5'. And I wouldn't want the lumber hanging in the screen area for obvious reasons.

Thanks for your replies. Still brainstorming.

Comment

that is a pickle. how about spray adhesive the foam topper to a heavy duty tarp with grommets?

Comment

Here's mine. When target in Canada went belly up I went and got two king sized 3" memory foam mattress covers. I sandwiched them between 12' pieces of wood and hung them from the 10' ceiling with rope. Works great. The mattresses are 1/2 way between the screen and the wall.

For some reason the pic is upside down. I'm on my iPad. Not going to the PC to fix it.
                Last edited by mthunt; 03-22-2017, 01:46 AM.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

Your foam is 7' tall and I imagine your screen height is taller. My thought would be to locate a couple pieces of slotted flat plate metal. They only need to be an inch or so wide. Lay one on each side of the foam and bolt them together, through the foam. This would serve as a clamp that compresses the foam and makes it structural for hanging. You then mount angle iron or a 2x4 on the ceiling (into trusses) in plane with where you want the foam to hang. Hang the foam using wire or rope to desired height. You could use small threaded eyebolts for the hardware to clamp the foam together, and then run the wire/rope through the eyebolt for hanging. The foam will hang from the ceiling and have plenty of strength clamped between the plate metal. If you want to secure it from deflecting back at all, you could run wire/cable to a side wall or hitting enclosure/frame from each end of the clamp on the foam. Pull the wire/rope tight side to side and it's not going to move much.

This concept would require you to punch/drill through the foam along the 6' width at the top. No way to create a strong connection without compressing two pieces of metal together. You could use wood but it would be heavier and thicker. If it works and you like it you can hang the other piece the same way right next to it. If you need protection on the plate metal from ball strikes I am sure you can find a strip of memory foam to cover the metal on the front side that is exposed to ball strikes. You obviously don't want a ball ricocheting off the metal/clamp. It could happen even if it is behind netting. Here is an example of the plate metal that I found on a quick web search. https://www.farmandfleet.com/product...FYIBaQodWTwJhQ

I imagine you want the foam up close to the impact screen. Not sure how to solve the brightness issue as it will not be uniform if you don't have memory foam everywhere behind the screen. You might be able to hang a piece of fabric of some sort between the screen and the memory foam to even out the screen bleed, although it might not be needed depending on your screen and how it looks when the projector is fired up and room lighting turned down/off.

Good luck!
                  Last edited by cspin; 03-22-2017, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Gstmike My memory foam is about 3" thick, and it's just put inside a standard Super King sized duvet cover (I'm in the UK - so bed sizes are called different things here!). I've placed the memory foam right into a top corner, and put the grommets through both the duvet AND the memory foam. That's how it doesn't slip down inside the cover. It was hard work and took a lot of perseverance, but I got there in the end.

Once that was done, I simply hung it using some massive zip ties as per my photo.

Comment

I didn't want any ripple or wave on the screen for watching movie and stretched my screen rather tight. In doing so, this makes the screen like a trampoline and had too much rebound with longer clubs. I bought a king size 2" memory mattress topper on amazon that came with bamboo fabric cover. Installed 7-8 grommets (1/2" dia) along the top edge, then hung it with rope. Been working perfect the last 4 months, balls now landing softly 3-4 ft off the screen.

Video of ball bouncing off the screen w/ memory foam behind. A faint silhouette of king size foam can be seen in this video.

2" Memory Foam Mattress Topper
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1/2" Grommet Kit
                      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Last edited by Vuvision; 03-24-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Vuvision--

How far behind the screen did you hang the topper?

Comment

Maybe send the 50# foam back and get the foam topper from amazon and a duvet cover. My setup works great. The topper weighs maybe 5-7# and is 3” thick. 3-4’ bounce back with driver

Comment

And a flat screen

Comment

Working...
                            X