Third Car Garage Sim - New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third Car Garage Sim - New Build

Hi Everyone - have been reading a lot of posts lately on this forum, would like to thank everyone for their pics and threads. After much thought, I decided to convert a third car garage space, into a dedicated sim room. Attached are my specs, and a picture of a bear room. Added more power outlets this weekend before drywalling next week. I will continue to upload pics and this transformation takes place, but I need some help deciding a few things.

The total space is 11feet wide by 9feet tall by 20 feet deep. I ordered cimerron kit online, and plan to build a frame for a PR20 or Archery netting from West Coast Netting and bungies. I need suggestions on the dimensions of the frame. Should I go right to the ceiling at 9feet, or cut down do 8 feet? Also do you suggest 11feet wide or 10 feet wide? what would make sense for the best viewing hitting area for this space. I think i'm too short width wise for 16:9 ratio. Right now, if the frame is 2feet deep, i'll be hitting from around 12 feet.

Thanks! I Appreciate the help.

On the frame inwould go 11 feet wide and about 8.5 feet high. Length would depend on where you will be hitting from, but I would leave about four feet from where you hit so that there is no risk of your driver catching the top of your frame. The west coast archery netting is great stuff, but it on the top as well as it is heavy and will catch flop shots and chips.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Yes it does, thank you! I could then use a native 16:9 projector and force it to 4:3 to fit the 11wx8.5h net? I would be 12 feet or so from hitting to screen distance .

Comment

I second the archery netting with bungies. Love it. Ball returns gently right back to me at 10 feet (when I hit it straight!) and the visual projection is awesome. Our space doubles as a big screen TV and the picture quality is top notch. Definitely see about some ceiling guard/net. Flop shots beat the hell out of my drywall. Width - swing a driver and see what it feels like. Mine is nearly 10 feet and just enough. Good luck with your build out. Tons of great info here.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Going with 11x8.5 with AlmostGolf Balls as a start and adjust from there. Will post pictures as the build continues. Anyone have any suggestions for ceiling curtrain track that does not have hooks? would like the black out curtain to have no light through between the track and curtain.

Comment

I agree with the 8.5 height, maybe even 8.7 to give you a little wiggle room when hanging screen/net. IMO you definitely don't need to worry about the tiny amount of light omitting from holes in curtains. If u don't have good directional led lighting you will find a little extra light helps more than it hurts. Swinging​ in blackness is difficult! For the ceiling net you can use anything since swing/ball speeds are much lower on flop shots. I used camo mesh netting from Walmart.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Good points you make. The curtains are only going to extend out about 10 feet from the screen..total black out not necessary..now just got find 9foot high curtains!

Comment

Hey Jizrigs. Just thought I would share my build so far in the tandem portion of my garage. My Frame is 11Wx9H, and will be projecting in 4:3. My ceilings are 9'3 from concrete to ceiling, and with subfloor and turf, I ended up right at 9'. Hitting from 9' away, and have yet to have a wedge come close to ceiling. I still have curtains going up this week, and projector was going up as well, but my PC took a dump almost two weeks ago, and I don't have it back yet to set the mount location with sim software on screen. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0538.JPG
Views:	1023
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	113983 Also, this is the 9' curtains I went with....good quality...https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

• NVONEPUTT
                  NVONEPUTT commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Really like your setup! My new house is almost done and very close to the same dimensions for my garage stall. How tall was your subfloor what materials did you use? ⛳️

• leoapd
                  leoapd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The subfloor is made up of Dricore panels (1" thick) the turf is Emerald premium putting from purchase green.com and total height is just under 1.75 inches. I have since added side curtains

Leopd..looks like the same amount of space I'm dealing with. Looks great ! Those curtains looks like they will fit perfect ..might have to order them tonight and the ceiling track..what did you use for your turf ? Is your projector 16:9 native and are pushing it through 4:3?

Comment

• leoapd
                  leoapd commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My projector is a Benq 1085st... 16:9 native, pushing 4:3 with 1600x1200 resolution out of GTX 1070... good image that fits nicely on screen without the squished effect. Turf is emerald putting turf from purchasegreen.com... local store near me sold me a 15x12 remnant at a discount

Comment

I just finished assembling my 8x10 enclosure and just bought the EMT fittings needed direct from here http://www.a1tarps.com/flat-roof-fittings.html rather than ordering a kit with a mark up.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I came Accross That site after ordering he cimarron kit..now I'm stuck debating wether to go 10x8 or shoot for 11x8.5..anyone think there would be a notable difference ?

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X