Bounce Back 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bounce Back 101

Wondering if we can make a pinned thread with advice.

I bought some par2pro raw screen for my 4.4m x 3.3 (or roughly 14 foot x 10 foot) area.

I put a hitting area mesh behind it, also from Par2Pro.

The problem I had, was a flapping sound as the screen wasn't tight and major bounce back.

So, after a previous thread, and looking for others to confirm is

1) Screen not taut (pulled tight) at any place around the edge of the EMT.
    2) Bottom can be free hanging (forgot why this was recommended)
    3) - THe backing material, in my case mesh, can be flush to the screen.

However, I'm still having a bit of an issue with bounce back, especially mishit balls that don't hit the sweet spot of the middle of the screen.
    I placed a bed topper, although very thing and this made very noticable difference. The ball didn't come rocketing back. I have this hung at the top of my EMT between the screen and the net. Just hanging.

My questions are
    I wonder if I hung some plush type blankets, maybe even 2 deep would that completely reduce the bounce back
    Would this increase the lifespan of my screen
    I bought white because the screen is white, any reason you could choose another color (although my screen I can see the topper through the raw material so I want to cover all)

Looking for some good notes here. Thanks!

I have the HQ2-T6 from partopro. I have almost no bounce back after some adjustment. I think the key is hanging the screen very loose and also using some type of flexible strap (bungee cord) to hang the screen. I have no mesh, or blankets, or anything behind the screen. The screen is hanging from the ceiling and just enough side tension to get main "waves" out of the screen. It is less tight at the bottom of the screen. I have had it this way for about a year and it is holding up very well.

Comment

Has anyone tried to stack fleece / plush bankets between the screen and the background NET?

Comment

Yes, I have very thick moving blankets (they call them pads) behind my screen and I get almost zero bounce back. I think it also quiets the hit as well.....

Comment

Good to know gene438. What color are the moving blankets My screen is the RAW par2pro and I guess it is reversable, or upside down so the main hitting spot can be moved around. If I go with a moving blanket kind of thing, does it rub on the inside of the screen?

Do you think it makes your screen last longer?

Comment

Here is a video of my current setup. The moving blankets are actually dark blue and I am not getting any rub off, etc but I think that is an excellent question and something to think about.

If you notice, my shots drop straight down. What you can't see is that my floor is actually a subfloor that is built up 2.75 inches so that my Protee sensor is flush and I can have a putting green with holes. I purposely built this so that it is short of my screen by 12 inches which does 2 things....1) it gives me a trough were the balls gather.....and 2) I can actually have my screen image below the green which allows my screen and putting green to mesh into one another visually....

Comment

• eezetee
              eezetee commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I was wondering how you landed that second green shot. I thought you hit it low off the drive yet it was a great shot.

Can you take a picture (or share previous ones) of what you did? If the moving blankets are taking the brunt of the force, maybe they won't run off on the screen. Or if they are taking the force then the screen won't wear as much so the idea of flipping the material around to get a fresh side won't matter either.

I have some plush blankets on order. How did you mount yours? Fastened tight?

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, that second shot is one of my all time favorites. If you look at the info screen after the shot you see that I hit it 10 deg. drive and my driver is 10.5 so, I did hit slightly lower than plan. This brings up a really great point that I really love to tell people who ask me about using a sim. One of the things I have really worked on is hitting my drives lower and hitting a more piercing shot rather than popping it up which was my tendency. Working on the sim and getting feedback has really helped my trajectory. I was also amazed at how low pros and better players hit their irons and I am working on that as well. Love having a sim to get that kind of data....anyway....back to your question

I use tarp clips to hang my screen and the moving blankets. Here is a link to them on amazon...they work very well and i have never had an issue with them. I tie them to my emt frame with bungee cords.

I will go out and take a few pictures now to show you....what it looks like behind the screen.

gene438 how much of a gap do you have been the impact screen and how tight are the blanket(s)? What size blanket did you get?

Comment

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              No gap, blanket just hangs from the top, but tarp and screen are bungeed top and sides and not the bottom. I don't think I would call it tight for any of them, I think the looser the better.

One thing to remember and test, you will be surprised how well movies and other videos display or show on your screen assuming you have a good projector and screen......what I mean is that your screen does not have to be super tight or completely wrinkle free to show movies, etc. in high quality. I have to actually turn off the projector and turn on all the lights to see wrinkles in my screen.

I also use a handheld steamer to clean my screen every 2 or 3 weeks.

OK guys, I think I mis-spoke and forgot I had a tarp also behind my screen....my bad. So, my setup is the screen, then moving blanket, then a heavy duty black tarp. Now honestly, i used all three because I simply had them on hand from my previous setup. The black tarp used to be the side panels when I had an enclosure type setup. I don't know if it is needed or how much it helps, I simply used them because I had them on hand. I love the way it works so, I never tried anything else.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2851.JPG
Views:	3174
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	122737

Name:	IMG_2857.JPG
Views:	3206
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	122738

Comment

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey eezetee, my blankets are not the heavy padded blankets...more like the first link....it is "felt like" but much heavier than what you think felt would be. But if I had to guess, I would say they are more like the first link.

• eezetee
              eezetee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Gene. I'm not sure if these type of blankets are available where I live. I'll have a look today.

May lean towards the heavier ones like you said as I need to order then on my next US trip so better go heavy duty I guess.

Did you stitch them together to cover your screen or did they line up perfectly?

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              I just hung them separate but side by side. I had to use 3 blankets to cover the width of the screen. I just hung them from the top.

Oh and here is a photo showing how I stopped the sub-floor short to create a trough for the balls and to help the visual transition from the green to the screen.

Name:	IMG_2852.JPG
Views:	3153
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	122746

Comment

• Sledge0001
              Sledge0001 commented
              Editing a comment
              2 words. Bad Ass!

looks good gene i do not see a putting sensor with your unit

Comment

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              No aero, I think the ProTee putts fine with just the base unit. With the latest green speed patch, etc. I have mine dialed in pretty good. My cup is 8 ft from sensor and if I hit it 8 ft. it goes 8ft on a flat green with normal settings. I have never degree tested off line putts, but if I pull it on my putting green, it pulls about the same on screen.

Just my opinion, but I think the ProTee base unit does a great job without it.

Where did you buy your moving blankets? I need some that would be 10 1/2 feet high and 8 feet wide

Comment

• gene438
              gene438 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey Kevin, they were actually left over from moving and we had some old furniture still wrapped in them ....not sure where you can buy them.

Harbor Freight had a really good deal on them, I think I paid $5 each for two 8' X8' blankets

Comment

• eezetee
              eezetee commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks. Trying to look at their website but it's got some weird formatting issues.

BTW, go blue!

Has anyone tried sponge covering for piping?
            I have some of these and plan to make a ramp cover for the bottom of the cage ( I have a pipe across the bottom)

Comment

Oh man......I dunno if that’s dense enough to stop a ball from ricochet

Comment

• eezetee
                eezetee commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not sure how to test. Might try stacking them. I saw someone selling some padding tool. Like a door angle. Maybe a deflecting angle may work better

• eezetee
                eezetee commented
                Editing a comment
                Update: You were right, the way that sponge was firm yet compressible didn't help. In fact, I laid a 8 x 8 landing area and dropped a ball from waist height and the dang thing bounced back the same. Failure #1

I think I may just use some of those long pillows to cover the base as my screen hangs onto the floor. Unless anyone else has an idea.

Wow Gene, that is an incredible set up !! Simply awesome. Do you happen to know your screen dimensions and what model projector you're using?? Thanks

Killer shot on the that second hole !!

Comment

Working...
              X