Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carls Finished Edges vs Raw

Hey guys,

I'm vigorously planning my build and was curious to the benefit of having the screen finished with grommets vs getting the unfinished material on its own and adding grommets without finishing the edges.

I was looking at doing the Carls Preferred finished or if I go to the premium unfinished it's $150 more for a better screen and I can spend the time adding the grommets.

If it helps the type of build I plan on doing is a 12x9 enclosure and getting a 13x9.5 screen so I can wrap it all the way around like this post:

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...-sim-with-pics

Are there any benefits of having the edges finished with the type of fold up build I'm doing?

Any other recommendations or feedback is appreciated!

*Edit* Also will 1" EMT be good enough for a 12' long enclosure or should I beef up with 1.25"?
    Last edited by brg1875; 07-06-2017, 05:21 PM.

I can't see a reason to get the finished one if you are able to add grommets yourself. You might also consider using tarp clips. Lots of guys use those with unfinished material as well. If you are considering unfinished and are still in the planning stages, I would look at the thread on this forum about buying impact screen material directly from the mill. The first run was supposedly the same material as Carl's premium, and the next run is supposed to be even better. As a price reference, in the first run, I got a 13x10 unfinished piece for around $300 including shipping and the material is definitely top notch.

Comment

andygg1986 I haven't thought about doing the tarp clips. Do you think having 6" extra on each side to pull from will be enough? (i.e. 13x10 screen on 12x9 enclosure)

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        I think that should be fine. You could fold it over a couple of inches and clip to the doubled-up part. Then you would still have about 4" to pull around the sides like the third picture in the thread that you referenced. Going 12x9 has the added benefit of being a 4x3 ratio, which is a standard projector ratio (you won't have black bars on the top and bottom

Andy, when is your next purchase ?

Comment

• andygg1986
        andygg1986 commented
        Editing a comment
        I bought it from dbgolf72. You will have to ask him when his next order is going to be.
    Working...
    X