Ceiling Protection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceiling Protection

I have my simulator built, but forgot about ceiling protection. I have about 1 foot from the top of my impact screen to the ceiling. I was thinking of putting a net under tight tension that would be level with the top of my impact screen. I'm not 100% confident this idea will work.

Has anyone had a similar problem? How did you handle this? Pics would be great.

Thanks,

I"m also eager for ideas, and have similar dimensions. My current outlook is to use 2' carpet tiles glued to thin plywood and put in place like a drop ceiling. The panels would absorb the impacts as they could move some, but hitting the grid would be undesirable. I didn't think a regular net could stop it in 1', and if too tight might become a slingshot. I'm gutted to studs and floor joists so i have options if there is a good idea out there.

Comment

Same here. I already have a couple of ball marks on my roof where the ball spins off the net and hits the roof!
      Looking forward to seeing some suggestions that I can get some inspiration from!

Comment

People have been mentioning using the foam mattress topper behind the impact screen, maybe use one of these attached to plywood and then cover it with black sheet or any black material. You could then angle the plywood toward the screen so it would direct it a little. Anything that hits the ceiling shouldn't have that high of a ball speed, so it may work. Just a thought.

Comment

I may have a solution to my problem.
          Through my work, I do a lot of dealings with a local company that supply me Peli cases. I get them made with custom moulded foam for each appliance.
          I asked the sales manager today if they had any 'off cuts' I could have / buy.
          He's going to bring me 3 100cm x 100cm x 5cm sheets of dense foam next time he comes round. My screen is 300cm wide. I'm not sure if I'll glue it to a board and attach it to my ceilings joists, or attach it directly to the ceiling... but hopefully it'll work one way or another.

Comment

I'm going with 2' x 2' commercial carpet tiles stapled to plywood (walls and ceiling). If one gets beat up too bad I'll just pull it off and replace. I'm building out frame now, pics to follow soon...

Comment

Here are a couple of current photos. 1st is a picture of my framed enclosure, just starting to put plywood on. Frame is 13' wide at opening by 10' deep. Screen is 8' by 10'. Ceilings are 10' at hitting area and taper down to 8' high at the screen (not installed yet). I have it set up so any stray balls will bounce off the carpet tiles into the screen. 2nd photo is from the screen looking back into the room (back wall is 22' from screen). I have an electrician showing up this weekend, any suggestions (i.e. separate halogen light over hitting mat, power for computer, etc.)?

Thanks!

Jerry

Comment

If you go to a commercial simulator they have rows of netting hanging from the ceiling. I imagine the bottom of the net is weighted. Thus the ball is trapped in the net and the weight absorbs the ball and slows it. The rows are 6-10" apart and hang 2' down. they get further apart as you get back to about 4' from the screen.

I really like the looks of what you are doing here Gas. But that hard top scares me.
                Protee
                CST Time zone

Comment

Why does a hard top scare you? Too loud? It'll only bounce into the screen.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  London Hunt Club L mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                  Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                  Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                  Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                  The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

I just posted pictures of my sim build. Here are some details of the ceiling baffles that I installed.

Comment

And some more.

Comment

Yeah thats what I am talking about... AJA that looks nice.

M Hunt. I think you will be surprised. At 9 ft back and only 8 ft tall (that is what you said correct) your 9 irons are going to be into the roof. That means the ball will be at a downward angle into the screen which most likely will not stop the ball, the next object is the floor. Which will send the ball back in your direction. Trust me I played dodgeball the first season I had my sim. My room is 24x26 with an overhead door 24 ft from the screen and I have embedded a ball through the inside skin on the door into the insulation, the ball stuck there for several weeks until I had to open the door. I now have at least a dozen ball dents in that door. And when they hit you they hurt for some time. The only shots I had to worry about was SW. my screen is 10' tall. GW hit the top of the screen and LW hit the tarp above. But with no give in the wood you will have to worry about them all. And if your 9 irons do get up there just imagine the speed on them shots. and just think about how many shots you use a 9 iron - LW at half or more swing speed. Thats one heck of a lot of balls coming back at you.

I have everything temporary in the spot so could not build anything permanent. I had a 2x6 on the top to hang the screen and no matter what I did those balls found it. So I changed it out with a 2x4 on end and they still found it. Now I have a 1" conduit frame that my screen is stretched around. I took an old net and cut it and hung it 2 ft from the screen, it hangs just about to the video frame. and it catches the balls that get up there and slows them enough. If I had some weight on it it would stop them completely. Basicly the same thing AJA has only I used net. and a long hunk of bungee cord weaved through it to hang it.

With the set up you have now it may work fine with the angle in the roof. I am no expert. But If I may give you one suggestion. Don't have any kids behind you when you test it... It looks to much like what I had and it scares me.... If I were you I would get rid of the wood and stretch a net in the same way you have the wood. Paint everything black up there and you will never see it. Or use a black tarp on top of the net. So far everything else your doing looks fantastic. I just would hate to see you spend a bunch of money and time on something that will literally give you a black eye. the one thing everyone gives little thought when designing these rooms is safety. And its the first thing that rears its head when you start to play. I know there are many with solid ceilings here. Hopefully someone else will chime in and give you their view. There is no doubt in my mind the best (safest) option is a net.
                        Protee
                        CST Time zone

Comment

aja let me know how your set up works. I was thinking of taking some padded carpet from Lowes and cutting it into about 2 foot strips and hang them from the ceiling about 1 foot apart. If your deal works i might try to find some of that stuff and copy your setup.

Comment

Finished with plywood on my enclosure. This design is safe, no dead spots or bad angles where the ball could bounce back at me. Everything funnels into the screen. I will put some padding under the carpet tiles on the roof section where the short irons will hit regularly, this will keep the noise down. I'm shooting for a clean, professional hitting bay look, vs. nets, tarps, etc. Agree with the comments, Safety First! More pics to follow as padding / carpet tiles get installed...

Comment

Originally posted by kyle1981 View Post
                              aja let me know how your set up works. I was thinking of taking some padded carpet from Lowes and cutting it into about 2 foot strips and hang them from the ceiling about 1 foot apart. If your deal works i might try to find some of that stuff and copy your setup.
                              My ceiling baffles haven't disappointed. The PEF (foam slabs) that are used in the baffles are resilient and relatively lightweight so they not only absorb shots directly but the baffles are free to move which also helps to absorb the impact.

When choosing carpet, try and get some that is low abrasion (soft to the touch) so that you have less wear and tear on your golf balls.

Comment

Working...
                              X