Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Forum, Here is my Simulator Build from Last Year.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Forum, Here is my Simulator Build from Last Year.

First, I am so happy to find this forum. I've been lone wolfing this for long enough and have found that there are some super knowledgeable folks here that will no doubt give me great ideas and cost me a small fortune. I look forward to some fun collaboration. I am currently using an optishot and I am not a huge fan. It is fun in a video game kind of way but not incredibly useful for helping me become a better golfer. I just ordered a skytrak after reading several reviews on here and thinking about adding on the TGC simulator but am still researching the release of TGC 2 and may wait for it. Anyway, attached are some pics of my setup taken last year. Feel free to ask questions. I will be checking out other's setups looking for ideas.
    Last edited by DWargo; 01-20-2017, 06:22 AM.

Looks like an awesome spot to set up. One word Id add is not to wait for "TGC2" if you have the money to get TGC now. There technically isnt going to the a "TGC2" for us simulator guys. What we have is different, its the "TGC simulator version". And protee has already said that we will just get the upgrades to the TGC sim version and they wont be selling it as an entire new game. Its all just TGC sim version for us, they are just going to update it to have some or all of the TGC2 features. No word on possible cost for this though yet. Sounds like it is either going to be a free upgrade as they have done in the past, or possibly some sort of small fee. No one but ProTee United knows for sure right now......im guessing they probably havent even made up their final decision on this either as its still is a long way away for us to get these upgrades. Heard 6 months or so after the console game comes out, but not sure on that.

Comment

• Stingreye
      Stingreye commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point. The only thing I wonder about is if the contracts with third party hardware will limit them (Skytrack and ES). For example, how you can't transfer a TGC licence to skytrak from another device but you can come from Skytrak. It would stink but I can see where maybe Skytrak or ES would charge an upgrade fee that might be out of Protee's control unfortunately.

Agreed. Don't wait if you don't have to. It's great as it stands now and wayyyyyy better than opti.

Comment

Sweeeeet - very cool. What did you put under the black fabric and does it work to deaden the balls?

All you need now is acoffer in the ceiling so the driver doesn't keep nicking it

You must have some lefties that you care about in your life!!!

Comment

• DWargo
        DWargo commented
        Editing a comment
        Ha. Yeah, I have a lot of "non-golfer" users that have used this and have really stretched the limits of my design. Those marks are from gaff tape on the driver that is necessary for optishot readings. Folks with flat swings can make contact over there with the driver. I also did not consider in the "scotch factor". I thought it would be impossible to hit the projector where it is but a friend put a ball a few inches in front of it and into the drywall....with a Driver. I have a net now to protect the ceiling.

Nice build. One of the few who built a set-up similar to mine with padded panels. Have to say that yours is a whole new level with great attention to detail.

But! - have to say that the projector image could be better - why not project in 4:3 and have the picture fill the whole impact screen? (Maybe you've already thought of that!)

I'd agree about the Optishot. I use proTee but when my computer broke I tried my Optishot as a temporary stop gap sim. That was disappointing to say the least.

Don't hesitate getting TGC if the reason you're sitting on the fence is the TGC 2 announcement. ProTee, who sell the TGC Sim software has gone out of their way to state that they won't be charging for the "upgrade", since they have not charged for upgrades in the past.

Happy golfing!

Comment

Originally posted by aja
        Nice build. One of the few who built a set-up similar to mine with padded panels. Have to say that yours is a whole new level with great attention to detail.

But! - have to say that the projector image could be better - why not project in 4:3 and have the picture fill the whole impact screen? (Maybe you've already thought of that!)

I'd agree about the Optishot. I use proTee but when my computer broke I tried my Optishot as a temporary stop gap sim. That was disappointing to say the least.

Don't hesitate getting TGC if the reason you're sitting on the fence is the TGC 2 announcement. ProTee, who sell the TGC Sim software has gone out of their way to state that they won't be charging for the "upgrade", since they have not charged for upgrades in the past.

Happy golfing!
        Appreciate the feedback. My projector is middle of the road cost but I expected better quality. Part of the issue is the impact screen texture. I've thought about overlaying a white sheet or something for better clarity. I've messed with 4:3 and liked the widescreen better. My intent wasn't to fill the screen necessarily. What you can't see in the picture is that the screen starts working toward you at the bottom since it is taller than the room and lays on the floor, creating a fortunate ball return. If the image goes down that far it gets distorted a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ironstrokes
          Looks like an awesome spot to set up. One word Id add is not to wait for "TGC2" if you have the money to get TGC now. There technically isnt going to the a "TGC2" for us simulator guys. What we have is different, its the "TGC simulator version". And protee has already said that we will just get the upgrades to the TGC sim version and they wont be selling it as an entire new game. Its all just TGC sim version for us, they are just going to update it to have some or all of the TGC2 features. No word on possible cost for this though yet. Sounds like it is either going to be a free upgrade as they have done in the past, or possibly some sort of small fee. No one but ProTee United knows for sure right now......im guessing they probably havent even made up their final decision on this either as its still is a long way away for us to get these upgrades. Heard 6 months or so after the console game comes out, but not sure on that.
          Thank you for this. I did not understand the difference between the sim and the game. I will go ahead and buy it now.

Comment

Originally posted by awisnia
            Sweeeeet - very cool. What did you put under the black fabric and does it work to deaden the balls?

All you need now is acoffer in the ceiling so the driver doesn't keep nicking it

You must have some lefties that you care about in your life!!!
            They are 2" polyurethane squares that are cut slightly smaller then the panels. They work great for deadening strays and also for some sound control. Mostly, I just wanted it to look somewhat professional since it is in a very visible location in the house.

Comment

• elli0t
              elli0t commented
              Editing a comment
              Sorry I know this is an old post, but what is the black material you used to make the panels? Vinyl? Canvas? Has it held up over time? Thanks

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
            Good point. The only thing I wonder about is if the contracts with third party hardware will limit them (Skytrack and ES). For example, how you can't transfer a TGC licence to skytrak from another device but you can come from Skytrak. It would stink but I can see where maybe Skytrak or ES would charge an upgrade fee that might be out of Protee's control unfortunately.
            Maybe, but I feel like they wouldnt be able to do that without some weird GIP loophole or something. We already bought TGC. Now its just protee that gives us our updates and upgrades within the game, and that part feels like its out of skytraks hands other than maybe some optimization with just how the data is transferred from the skytrak to the game.

Feel like if skytrak/es somehow charged a little extra, then the GC2 and protee guys would be getting it for free and that would probably cause a little animosity between different sim users that im sure they would like to avoid. But all speculation right now, curious how it all plays out, wouldnt be surprised if it went how you were saying on this either.

Comment

Im dumb, didnt even realize there was 18 pictures attached there when I first saw the post yesterday. Saw the first 3 and thought you were just showing how you first started haha. After checking out it all, super impressed! Love how you solved the wall issues with that padding, and looks great as well from a present-ability stand point

Comment

I am dumb too! I missed the extra pictures. Awesome setup!

Comment

Looks great! May be silly question -- when you put those side pads up, did you nail through the fabric (or on the right side did you put the panels up and then do the foam/fabric over it?).

Comment

• DWargo
                    DWargo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wrapped each 2x2 panel with the foam glued to the center with the vinyl like a seat cushion and stapled the back to get it tight. I then took that padded square and used a brad nailer to tack the panel to the strips that were screwed into the drywall. i put at least a brad nail at every corner, sometimes more. It went through the fabric but since they do not really have a head, you can't even see the holes. I hope that makes sense.

Dear DWargo. I would like to ask your thoughts on your sim set-up since it has now been over a year since it has been 'live'. In particular, I would love to know more re: your black vinyl pads. I am working on my 2nd sim setup and want to make very similar 2'x2' pads to line my walls and part of my ceiling also. My first attempt used 3" thick mattress/furniture foam and Dupont Cordura canvas, but it's a bit pricey per square to make, and the 'spring effect' from a stray golf ball seems rather significant. Can you provide more details on the type of foam you used under the vinyl? And, do you feel it deadens any stray shots, or does just deflect the shot - causing the golf ball to bounce around the room. I have kids and can only assume a few stray shots will occur - I just want to try to deaden the shot if at all possible. But, I do not want to hang nets or other material - this new set-up will be in a finished part of my house so it needs to look professional. Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated. I just ordered the hitting screen from Par2Pro - SQ Beta screen. So, I need to get cranking on making my "chiclets" ... as I call them.
                  Last edited by Carl Johnson; 02-14-2018, 10:41 PM.

Comment

DWargo What an awsome setup! I as well am very curious about the black vinyl foam pads you made. I love the finished look it brings to your SIM.I have zero experience in upholstery. Sounds like you took a 2x2 panel and glued the 2" foam to the face and then wrapped it in black vinyl? Am I on the right track?

Comment

Working...
                    X