Turf smell???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turf smell???

Anyone else put in an indoor putting turf with a rubber pad backing have issues with a strong odor? I got mine in on friday and I can't even go in the room now. I assume it is chemicals from the rubber backing? any advice on getting rid of the odor would be appreciated as I won't be able to keep it if it does not go away soon. My wife has already demanded I rip it out!!!

My recommendation is to contact the turf manufacturer for direction. Sounds like you installed it yourself. Did you use any adhesive? It is not uncommon for foam/rubber to off gas for a while. I bought some EVA foam floor tiles one time and they gave me a headache from the smell but it went away. I had putting turf with a rubber backing installed in my basement and there was no smell, other than a little from the spray adhesive the installed used. If there was an issue, I would have contacted the manufacturer directly. I knew where the turf came from and who manufactured it. That is not always the case though, and depends on where you got it and if you are able to trace it back to the actual manufacturer.

Good luck.

Comment

thanks cspin. I did contact them and they said it was the first time they ever heard of that issue. They did not have a reason or a remedy. It's very heavy and I just laid it straight on the basement floor, about 225 sq ft. It does not require adhesive. I'm wondering if a deoderizer would help but I'm doubting it. I hate to pull it all out. It was expensive and was difficult to get in there in the first place.

Comment

Should go away within a few days. Will go away faster if you open a window/turn on fan. Very common for rubber/plastic materials to give off odor upon opening packaging.

Hell, my shredded latex pillow reaked when I opened it up. After 1 day it was not noticeable.

I imagine the flooring to react the same way.

Comment

When my sim had a chemical smell, I installed a charcoal air filtration system from walmart. ( air purifier) It works great. Since the sim is a workout room as well it keeps it smelling great ( no smell).totally worth the cost.

Comment

Working...
          X