DIY Divot-Action Mat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Divot-Action Mat?

I saw that there's a great thread on how to make a DIY Gel mat.

I'm hoping to create a thread on how to build a DIY Divotaction mat.

Right now, the 12" x 24" Divotaction is $125 and I've heard it wears out after a year of use. With a DIY setup, I would hope that after a year all you need is a new piece of plexiglass (~$10) and a new piece of turf (~$20).

Has anyone taken apart a Divotaction mat apart to how it's constructed? Are there any descriptions/specs/pictures/etc out there of what the inside looks like?

As I understand, there's a piece of plexiglass that flexes until it bottoms out on some foam. I'm wondering:
    • What the length/width of the plexiglass?
    • What is the thickness of the plexiglass?
    • How much empty space is underneath the plexiglass before it bottoms out?
    • What does it bottom out on? (i.e. type of foam/thickness)
    • How is the plexiglass supported? (4 corners? All edges? Solid support or foam support?)

Any info you have would be super helpful!
    Last edited by zamundan; 01-25-2017, 10:17 PM.

I bought enough rubber foam and 12" wide turf to make 15 of them. I made mine 24"x12". Home Depot has that size Lexan (make sure to get the right kind). Stronger kinds can be found online, but I've had no issues even when purposely hitting down hard. The foam density is a matter of preference IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Godfather View Post
      I bought enough rubber foam and 12" wide turf to make 15 of them. I made mine 24"x12". Home Depot has that size Lexan (make sure to get the right kind). Stronger kinds can be found online, but I've had no issues even when purposely hitting down hard. The foam density is a matter of preference IMHO.
      Thanks for the reply!

I'm having a hard time understanding what I'm looking at in the picture... is there foam at the front and back of the lexan, with a smaller piece of foam in the center? So the edges are not supported? Is that right?

Do you remember the thicknesses of foam you used? (I assume the from and back are thicker than the middle?)

Is the rubber foam you used basically just weatherstripping like this:

When you say to get the "right kind"... what is the "right kind" of Lexan? This is the only one I found at Home depot that was 12 x 24... it has a 0.093" thickness?:

Thanks again!

Comment

• Godfather
        Godfather commented
        Editing a comment
        Rubber foam at each end. I used about 4" on each end for the 24" length. Little pieces in the middle for support. Not weatherstripping. I bought from a rubber/foam place online. I don't recall the specifics. A density like an exercise mat maybe. Thickness to match your existing mat depending on turf thickness. 5/8-1" depending. For the plexiglass, make sure it's the shatter-resistant kind (Lexan or Polycarbonate I believe... just google it).

Going from memory on the one i had seen, they had about 1" pieces of a firm foam at the corners. Then in the middle they had foam pieces that are about 1/2". That way when you hit, the mat/plexiglass flexed down until the middle section bottomed out on the ground underneath.

Comment

I'll post some pics in a bit. You are right in making your own...it's nice to hit off of but way to overpriced for what it is.

Comment

Here you go
          ​​​​​​​

Comment

I agree that when I received mine, I was shocked how much I paid for what it actually is. With that said, I do love mine and think its a great design. My view point, is that we are supporting those who are innovating for us.

Comment

Originally posted by Wigalo View Post
              Here you go
              ​​​​​​​
              This is awesome! Thanks for posting it!

Couple questions...

Are the little pyramid shape bits on the side edges the same height as the foam at the front and back edge? Or are they shorter? Are the front/back edge ones about 1"?

Would the foam in the center be needed at all if there wasn't a tee there? (i.e. is it only there in order to support the tee, or is it needed even if the tee wasn't there?)

Comment

Just sent a message to your inbox

Comment

Hey, one more question, how did you adhere the foam to the lexan?

I have spent a fair bit of time googling today, and I can't find an adhesive that claims to be suitable for gluing lexan to anything. (There are products that 'weld' lexan to more lexan, but nothing that claims it can make lexan adhere to another material, such as foam.)
                  Last edited by zamundan; 02-05-2017, 03:31 AM.

Comment

• Godfather
                    Godfather commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My foam is fairly dense. A little glue I had lying around was fine. I used double sided tape for the turf to the lexan and should easily be able to replace the turf when it wears out.

Maybe try double sided gorilla tape if you don't find anything.
                  Originally posted by zamundan View Post

Hey, one more question, how did you adhere the foam to the lexan?

I have spent a fair bit of time googling today, and I can't find an adhesive that claims to be suitable for gluing lexan to anything. (There are products that 'weld' lexan to more lexan, but nothing that claims it can make lexan adhere to another material, such as foam.)

Comment

My foam is fairly dense. A little glue I had lying around was fine. I used double sided tape for the turf to the lexan and should easily be able to replace the turf when it wears out.
                    Think I'm about to make a 12" x 24" version of one of these rather than pay $119 for one. What kind of turf are you guys taping down to the lexan?

Comment

• Godfather
                      Godfather commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I bought too much turf - 30 ft x 1 ft. I'd sell some of it off for cost if shipping weren't prohibitive. Mine I think is sold as putting turf, but the thickness is the same as most mats, just without the foam backing.

I made my own using CCE turf. I have not installed it though because the height is taller than the mat that came with the original DivotAction. Plus I think since the CCE turf is thicker than what was used it needs to be "bigger" itself to get the same "give" although that is just a guess from looking at it and not actually testing it.

Comment

Originally posted by MainStGolf View Post
                      I made my own using CCE turf. I have not installed it though because the height is taller than the mat that came with the original DivotAction. Plus I think since the CCE turf is thicker than what was used it needs to be "bigger" itself to get the same "give" although that is just a guess from looking at it and not actually testing it.
                      So you just cut away the foam from a CCE hitting strip, down to the hard backing of the CCE and then stuck that to the lexan?

I'm thinking of going this route from Allturfmats and hope it's thick enough. It appears to be pretty similar to the fairway turf that comes standard on the Divot Action.

Comment

• MainStGolf
                        MainStGolf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No I just left the CCE as it came to me when I purchased one of the small hitting strips.I'll take a pic of the finished product and post.

• MainStGolf
                        MainStGolf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        One other thing I would do is make sure to tell CCE or whatever mat company to NOT drill the holes for the plastic tees. That's really one of the reasons I stopped using my DivotAction in the first place is the tees that were put in there got torn up and with them being in the middle there just wasn't a good place to put the SkyTrak that they weren't getting in the way of some shot.

Went to take a pic of my set up and actually removed the two "small" triangular pieces and that gave it more give. Still not quite as much as the original DivotAction, which makes me think I would make it a bit longer still if I did it again. But there's enough give in it that I might go ahead and actually try to make another mat with that cutout in it to see if I like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X