Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Everyone, new member here looking for projector help

Hi Everyone,

Great forum, I've been lurking for a week or so and just joined. My name's brian and I'm a golfer from Minnesota... yeah, I know :-)

Anyways, I am putting together my sim at home and I could use some sage advice from the members here with regard to the projector.

I am working on a diagram that will present the situation better than a long description could. I will try to post the diagram a little bit later today.

brian

I have the Benq 2150ST, this is the replacement for the popular 1085ST. For short throw, tough to beat this projector. Easy to setup, very bright and fantastic quality image.
    Attached Files

Comment

• marino1981
      marino1981 commented
      Editing a comment
      hi vuvision. amazing set up WOW. is the material you have on your wall to help decrease noise or simply aesthetic. im looking at ways to decrease sound in house when i play. thanks

Vu,

Thanks for the reply, those are some impressive images. I definitely am looking at the Benq line based on what I have read here so far.

b

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a little more info on my setup:

I will be using 4:3 image but would like a HD option.

I have a ceiling fan in the equation, and I have not determined if I will be able use a wall mount (easier) or if I will have to use a ceiling mount (more likely to miss the fan & golfer).

Since I am a noob with projectors, I would appreciate all and any input .

Thanks,

b

Click image for larger version

Name:	diagram.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	103661

Comment

I second the 2150. Great projector. I had to send my back due to room size. In 4:3 it needed 10 feet of throw to fill the screen and I didn't have that much space. Looks like you will have plenty and the physical zoom (as opposed to digital) is a nice feature. I wound up with the Optoma 1080, which is nice - and less expensive - but not as nice as the BenQ.

Comment

Hi Orangeman,

Thanks for the post, that's a strong endorsement for the Benq 2150ST,.

Would the issue of significant ambient lighting affect the projector choice?

My room is a four season porch with good size windows (no blinds)

Comment

Depends on how much light. While I had it up and running, the picture was bright, crisp and clear even with the room lights on.

Comment

Originally posted by Vuvision
            I have the Benq 2150ST, this is the replacement for the popular 1085ST. For short throw, tough to beat this projector. Easy to setup, very bright and fantastic quality image.
            Vuvision, I just bought the Optoma gt1080 but returned. Image quality was good, but from 10 feet, it would not cover my screen (10ft H X 12W). In your opinion, would the Benq 2150ST, Cover the entire screen from 10 ft?

Comment

Originally posted by Flyby View Post

Vuvision, I just bought the Optoma gt1080 but returned. Image quality was good, but from 10 feet, it would not cover my screen (10ft H X 12W). In your opinion, would the Benq 2150ST, Cover the entire screen from 10 ft?
              You'll need a throw distance of 13' 5" for a 10' H x 13' 4" W image projects on screen. Optoma GT1080 was probably the best projector for you configuration. Good luck in your continued search.

Name:	1085ST.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	107489

Comment

Originally posted by bknoxville View Post
                Hi Orangeman,

Thanks for the post, that's a strong endorsement for the Benq 2150ST,.

Would the issue of significant ambient lighting affect the projector choice?

My room is a four season porch with good size windows (no blinds)

You are going to need to control the light in that room. Post some pics here to show how bright it is, but my thoughts are that all this light will wash out your picture. With a projector you need to control the light. Although if you get something with a lot of lumens (likely way more than the benq, then this might helps solve your problem a bit).

I also think you may light to remove the ceiling fan. Try some practice swings etc but for me I think it may get in the way of your swing or image.

Vuvision, those are some great looking pictures and a mighty nice room!

Comment

Thanks again Orangeman, and thank you Dax for your input regarding my ambient light issue.

A little update is in order: I have my enclosure built and just received a BenQ 3050. I am waiting on a wall mount for the projector, but it does appear from my initial experiments with the projector that it will suit my purposes.

My sim room faces west and I guess that I am currently OK with the less than optimal lighting environment... but that could change and I will be out shopping for curtains or blinds :-).

brian

Ps. Since my enclosure is up, I will be selling a Net Return Pro and I just noticed that members post for sale threads here :-)
                  Last edited by bknoxville; 02-27-2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

How much for the net return?
                    where are you located?
                    Punisher

Comment

Frank, Et.al

$400.00 if Picked up and paid by cash and $425.00 if shipped via UPS ground. Plus any payment fees.

I am in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The net is in mint condition with duffel bag.

Comment

Update....

I will be keeping the BenQ 3050 as it is bright enough to still be usable the day (3 walls of big windows w/no blinds) and is super brilliant at night.

Enclosure is 120"W x 108"H (still waiting on black out wrap)

Projector is mounted on back wall at ~11' high. Projector is tilted slightly and using a little lens shift and keystone.

Image was taken at night with normal room light on as well as a spot light on hitting area.

Name:	20170301_214343.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	108406

brian

Comment

Yes, I am now looking for some more carpet ;-)

Comment

where did you get your blackout material? how does it look?

Comment

Working...
                            X