Help me find projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me find projector

I've looked at projector central and read through countless threads looking for the perfect projector. My impact screen is 10' H X 12' W. Looking to mount approximately 9' away, and seeing directly under.

Someone Please tell me the best to get.

Also, is an overhead directional light pointing on your hitting may necessary?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just purchased the Optoma GT1080 and the picture is amazing. For your configuration this may be the best option for you considering you need a short throw projector and you want to fill the screen. At 8 feet distance you will fill the screen 9'H x 12'W with 4:3 ratio. Make sure you buy it from place you can return it...if for some reason it doesn't work out for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm
    https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080...Optoma+-+1080p

Here is the overhead light which is mounted on ceiling behind the projector. It swivels and I have it adjusted so the light doesn't hit the screen.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Griffinto; 02-22-2017, 04:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Griffinto
      I just purchased the Optoma GT1080 and the picture is amazing. For your configuration this may be the best option for you considering you need a short throw projector and you want to fill the screen. At 8 feet distance you will fill the screen 9'H x 12'W with 4:3 ratio. Make sure you buy it from place you can return it...if for some reason it doesn't work out for you.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Opto...ulator-pro.htm
      https://www.amazon.com/Optoma-GT1080...Optoma+-+1080p

Here is the overhead light which is mounted on ceiling behind the projector. It swivels and I have it adjusted so the light doesn't hit the screen.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-B...w&gclsrc=aw.ds
      This is great, thank you. The light you posted just plugs in to a wall socket but can be mounted? I was worried I may have to install a socket. This would be perfect.

Comment

• Griffinto
        Griffinto commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it plugs in and there is a hook for a screw to hang on the ceiling.
        Last edited by Griffinto; 02-22-2017, 02:50 PM.

Is a 4:3 ratio best for 9HX12W?

Comment

• Griffinto
        Griffinto commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, based on projectorcentral.com it would be the best configuration for you to fill the screen. The picture quality is still HD. You would need 9' H x 16' W for 16:9. I have tried several different projectors and you have a very similar setup as mine.

• aja
        aja commented
        Editing a comment
        Is that a trick question?

9 x 12 is a 4:3 ratio.

If you had 10ft I'd recommend the BenQ ST2150. Great machine. With your dimensions, the Optoma is an excellent choice at a good price. I'm currently using it and very happy with it. Pick it up from Amazon - 30 day return policy and 2 day shipping if you're a prime member.

Comment

• dborden0
        dborden0 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm researching projectors with similar requirements. What is better about the benq? When I compared them on projector central, it looked like to optoma was much brighter.

• orangeman
        orangeman commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't have them side by side but to me, the BenQ was brighter. I know the lumens say different, but I just didn't find it to be the case. I also liked the physical zoom vs the digital zoom on the Optoma.

Update:. Received the optoma gt1080 yesterday and fired it up. From 10' it didn't cover the entire height of the screen. Is there something I'm doing wrong, or should I try an ultra short throw of some kind?

Comment

• dborden0
        dborden0 commented
        Editing a comment
        What are the dimensions of the thrown image? Are you using a 4:3 aspect ratio?

• Griffinto
        Griffinto commented
        Editing a comment
        At 8 feet distance you will fill the screen 9'H x 12'W with 4:3 ratio. Your screen dimensions of 10H x12W are not conducive for filling the entire screen edge to edge regardless of what projector you choose. You would need a wider screen.

Received BenQ 2150ST and it is awesome. Projector complete and on to the computer system. Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Do either of the benQ or Optima Allow you to control output ratio.... I have a 10x10 screen, so aiming for a 3:4 to make best use of screen as 16:9 is just too narrow or has to bleed to the sides if zoom further

Comment

Originally posted by CBDBOZ
          Do either of the benQ or Optima Allow you to control output ratio.... I have a 10x10 screen, so aiming for a 3:4 to make best use of screen as 16:9 is just too narrow or has to bleed to the sides if zoom further
          To my knowledge, the BenQ doesn't allow manual control for output. I would guess the same for the optoma; however, my screen is 10' H X 12' W and 4:3 works great.

Comment

On the Ben2150, it would seem that native aspect 1s 16:9. When you project 4:3 on you 12x10 screen, are you somehow then able to scale to the 4:3, or do you use the native 16:9 and project overflow to the sides?

Picture looks great!

Comment

My benq 1085st has different aspect ratio options under settings. The 2150 probably does too. Picture looks great OP.

Comment

I just changed to 4:3 under settings. Projector is 13' from screen on ceiling mount. On HD cable the 16:9 fits the 12x10 perfectly. I'm very happy with the BenQ

Comment

Working...
                X