Projector Format/Set-up Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector Format/Set-up Questions

I have a 1085ST, and ran some tests with my system on a wall (sim area) to measure for screen size, format, etc. I am going with 4:3 due to room limitations, but had some questions I have not found the answer to:
    Running HDMI from GTX 1070. When I change the format to 4:3, the image gets squeezed on the sides, and not a normal image. Also in PJ Central calculator, a 16:9 image should be wider and not as tall as 4:3? Mine has same size height wise in either format. I am also not able to project image to screen unless it is windowed (TGC), or in other words, image on PC is not what is on screen. I messed with resolution settings to accommodate the 4:3 ratio but not seeing a difference, Hopefully I am asking the right questions Any help would be appreciated.

You have a 16:9 projector so the projector is designed natively to fill an image 16 units wide, 9 high.
    If you have a fixed area (lets say 400cm wide, 300cm high) you can:-
    a) put projector in 16:9 mode and fill an image 400cm wide and 225cm high (=400/16*9).
    b) put projector aspect ratio in 4:3 and fill an image 400cm wide and 300cm high (=400/4*3)

Where the image will be distorted or not comes down to your PC resolution.
    If you have a 16:9 resolution and run projector in 4:3 mode it will squeeze the image into a 4:3 space.
    If you run your PC in a 4:3 resolution and run the projector in 4:3 mode it will retain the normal ratio.

Someone will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

• leoapd
      leoapd commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. By reducing my PC resolution in settings, I have to match it in game, correct? If I run 1600x1020 or whatever in PC, then my JNPG settings for example have to be set to that as well, or will JNPG image be even smaller? When I change aspect ratio from 16:9 to 4:3 only width changes, not height...even moving projector the height is same on both ratios???? I'm puzzled

• V8burble
      V8burble commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are running in windowed mode then yes, you need to set both, I think. I tend to run JNPG in full screen and in that case "I think" you only need to set the in-game settings and don't need to mess about with the OS resolution. (on a Mac now so can't check

I think what you say makes sense. The height will not change between aspect ratios with a 16:9 native(full HD) projector. So you are running in 16:9 (say 160cm wide 90cm high) which is the native projector resolution. You change to 4:3 and as I said earlier the projector cannot fill any bigger space than the native resolution so therefore your new image is (120cm wide, 90 cm high). Height stays the same, as you say. If you need more height, move the projector backwards or change zoom on projector? sorry if I'm missing something

If you had a native 4:3 projector(which I don't think you do) and ran the image in 16:9 aspect ratio then the height would reduce and it would fill the same width, which I suspect is what you are thinking would happen.

[Edited to say, I am guessing you setup the projector in 16:9 to fill the width of your wall and when you changed aspect ratio on projector you hoped it might be a taller image?.. if so, that won't happen and you need to move the projector further back or increase the optical zoom. If you can't do that then "I think" you might not have the ideal projector for the job.
      Last edited by V8burble; 03-06-2017, 08:56 PM.

• leoapd
      leoapd commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess i just do not want a squished image in 4:3 on a 10x8 screen...work in progress but I do appreciate your input

BenQ Calculator43.pdf BenQ Calculator169.pdf This is what I am basing my observations from...not sure if those will open. Just not seeing same on screen. probably not a big deal, but I am limited on room, and just want to maximize image quality and size

Comment

Haven't set mine up but unless my calculus is off.
      1080/3*4 = 1440
      So the best 4:3 resolution for your projector is going to be 1440x1080 and then set the projector to be 4:3..... this is guestimation and not hands on yet. I have the same projector though.

Comment

• Stingreye
        Stingreye commented
        Editing a comment
        I am only guessing but i think the answer is yes.

• leoapd
        leoapd commented
        Editing a comment
        Turns out my Nvidia card recognizes the benq, and within the Nividia control panel I am able to set the output PC resolution for the PJ. Nice clean image in 4:3 at 1600x1200...did not see 1440x1080 as an option.

• GolfAholicAnonymous
        GolfAholicAnonymous commented
        Editing a comment
        If projector is native 1080p and you feed it UXGA in 4:3 mode the projector will down sample to 1440x1080. Just an FYI. Typically on nVidia control panel you have an option to show all resolutions, maybe it would appear there. If so, I suspect you will not be able to see the difference in the projector whether set to 1600 or 1440.
    Working...
    X