Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cold weather projector thread update #2 (Optoma GT1080)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather projector thread update #2 (Optoma GT1080)

OK,

Second update. It's been another three weeks of a hard Maine winter, and my GT1080 is still chugging. We get warm periods where it hits 40's during the day, and cold periods where it hits 10 below at night. I haven't had another error message for a frozen fan, but I have noticed that the projector has been running dim for the first half hour to 45 minutes after it's started. Eventually brightness gets there, but it is annoying.

More to follow,

-Bob

that poor projector is being put through the test

Comment

where in Maine are you? i'm also in Maine..Live in Readfield...I'm putting a heater in my Garage..Played the other day with 2 space heaters..only got the garage up to 40 degrees..SUCKS

Comment

Originally posted by MOTOX77 View Post
        where in Maine are you? i'm also in Maine..Live in Readfield...I'm putting a heater in my Garage..Played the other day with 2 space heaters..only got the garage up to 40 degrees..SUCKS
        If you don't have a 240v hook up in the garage, the propane big buddy heater (the bigger of the two) works pretty nicely to add at least another 10 degrees to that. Just get yourself a co2 detector to be safe (I think it has something built into it too to protect against that as well, but good to have an actual detector) and it's a relatively cheap quick way to get some decent heat.

Comment

• MOTOX77
          MOTOX77 commented
          Editing a comment
          ya I thought about running a 240v hook up but the propane heater seems like a quick an easy way to heat..prob going to go that route

Originally posted by aeroburner View Post
        that poor projector is being put through the test
        Yea I've had my gt1080 st projector in my garage in the Philly area for the last year and a half and have had no issues yet so far, feel bad for torturing the guy but he's held up haha. Don't know if I'm just getting lucky though. I have a thermometer out there and it gets well below the 30s/20s on most nights throughout the winter, so fingers crossed

Comment

I've got the same projector in my garage. I'm in Kansas City but it still gets pretty cold. I've had zero issues the past two winters.

Comment

Wrap it in a blanket when not using it.

The thicker the better.

You may even make a little blanket/ insulation "house" for it that you can throw on it when not in use.

Comment

I missed the initial update but why don't you just bring the projector into your house when not in use?

Comment

Originally posted by MOTOX77 View Post
                I'm in Waterville, not far from you at all!

Comment

• MOTOX77
                  MOTOX77 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  haha nice...I lived in Sidney for a few years..played Waterville Country Club a few times...I'm a member at Augusta Country Club now.

Originally posted by branover View Post
                I missed the initial update but why don't you just bring the projector into your house when not in use?
                Because a short throw projector has to be precisely aligned, there is no way I'm taking it off and putting it on in between uses.

Comment

Update- This morning I think I figured out the dimness: it's condensation on the lense. It was really fogged up and dim this morning. I'm worried that it is foggy on both sides, as it still took 20 minutes or so to hit full brightness.

Comment

That condensation is what you want to avoid.

it's the changes in temperature that cause it.

not just the cold, but the cold turning to warmth from the projector running.

try the blankets/insulation housing.

If you can't heat up the room prior to turning on the projector, you need to have the projectors starting temperature closer to that while it's running to avoid condensation.

Comment

Originally posted by goatbarn View Post
                      That condensation is what you want to avoid.

it's the changes in temperature that cause it.

not just the cold, but the cold turning to warmth from the projector running.

try the blankets/insulation housing.

If you can't heat up the room prior to turning on the projector, you need to have the projectors starting temperature closer to that while it's running to avoid condensation.
                      OK I'll try more preheating next time. The projector is mounted at 9 feet up and it gets noticeably warmer up there first.

Comment

Sorry if my comment came off dicky, it wasn't my intention. I have the same projector and while I do not need to take it down often I made my own apparatus so I can take it down easily and put it back precisely. I can take a couple pictures if you'd like. Really wasn't to tough although I built cabinets and furniture for a living so I have access to lots of tools.

Comment

Working...
                        X