$500 Flightscope low end model????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 Flightscope low end model????

Saw a post on GolfWRX in a thread about the PGA show and someone mentioned a low end Flightscope model was going to be announced. That one post is the first I've ever heard of it. Wondering if anyone here had any info.

While this sounds nice and obviously gets people excited, my "feeling" of the industry is the exact opposite. While there is a lot of room at the bottom I don't feel like anyone is focused on that space nor does it look like any of the big companies are heading in that direction. While Skytrak made a splash I would expect their next model to be even more expensive or like Flightscope and Foresight have shown just software gate options for more price differentiation/models while only making one model.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by Yrrdead81
    Saw a post on GolfWRX in a thread about the PGA show and someone mentioned a low end Flightscope model was going to be announced. That one post is the first I've ever heard of it. Wondering if anyone here had any info.

While this sounds nice and obviously gets people excited, my "feeling" of the industry is the exact opposite. While there is a lot of room at the bottom I don't feel like anyone is focused on that space nor does it look like any of the big companies are heading in that direction. While Skytrak made a splash I would expect their next model to be even more expensive or like Flightscope and Foresight have shown just software gate options for more price differentiation/models while only making one model.

Thoughts?
    I agree. I think a lot of the manufacturers are in a tight spot. They don't sell in high enough volume allow them to see lower cost in manufacturing to recoup all the R&D if they sell at a low amount.

It would require them to take a step that many are afraid to do, which is hope the market is ready for this technology and that they can blow it up with low pricing. IMO Flightscope was the first one to really bring a very high end technology to market for a low cost (Xi) that was accurate. Skytrak has definitely made some waves, and if we are going to see FS give us a $500 unit that is as accurate as their others, they will force a shift in the market.

I really would love to see them keep pushing like this. Trackman needs to be pressured because there are some very high quality options fromFS that are out now and it is only a matter of time that people realize that TM isn't the only show in town. Right now they are the only name most people know, but with the right marketing FS could really make some waves. Would love to talk about corp strategy with them. They have a huge opportunity in the coming year or so and would love to see them take it.

Comment

Here is the unit: http://flightscopemevo.com/

Comment

That is very interesting....

Comment

Price is reportedly around $500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

FS Mevo - Ball speed, Club speed, Smash factor, Launch angle, Carry distance, Spin rate

seems like a very capable product for the very low cost! will be interesting how it compares to a skytrak on side by side comparison

Comment

I like that the only reason it is at this price point is because they are marketing it to multiple sports so the "golf surcharge" is gone. Getting measured spin for this price is pretty neat.

Comment

Great price point, but it looks like it will show backspin, but not side spin - or have I missed something?

Comment

Both flightscope and trackman have always marketed to multiple sports so nothing new there.

I haven't read anything except the product webpage but for backspin verses sidespin I doubt it provides either. It looks to be just total spin (no spin axis).

I couldn't find anything clearly saying what it measures versus calculate. The most obvious competitor is the es14 which claims the same data for similar price. Except the es14 doesn't measure spin or LA so if this does it would be much better. But if this calculates those then it is just another overpriced swing radar

Regardless of whether it measures or calculates LA or spin, the lack of spin axis or azimuth info makes it useless for simulation so aimed at a different market.

​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by FaultyClubs View Post
                    Both flightscope and trackman have always marketed to multiple sports so nothing new there.

I haven't read anything except the product webpage but for backspin verses sidespin I doubt it provides either. It looks to be just total spin (no spin axis).

I couldn't find anything clearly saying what it measures versus calculate. The most obvious competitor is the es14 which claims the same data for similar price. Except the es14 doesn't measure spin or LA so if this does it would be much better. But if this calculates those then it is just another overpriced swing radar

Regardless of whether it measures or calculates LA or spin, the lack of spin axis or azimuth info makes it useless for simulation so aimed at a different market.

​​​​​
                    It measures spin. Unfortunately, you have to apply sticky foil dots to your ball for it to work well (roll of 1000 for $25).

Comment

It looks very small. When you compare the size of the USB port with the size of the device, it must mot be much bigger than a cell phone. Just thicker

Comment

Here is some more crucial information. It measures spin but not spin axis. It potentially can measure horizontal azumuth but it wont be displayed. It will not measure any chips or putts at all. You need 8 feet distance to screen or net and 6-7 feet behind the screen for it to work. So you need 14-15 feet of depth. It absolutely needs sticker on the ball. There are no plans for simulation (yet!!!!!). it really is here to compete with ES14 stype of units. I questions its spin measurement as possibly calculation involved. They told me that only total spin is measured. I am hoping to get a test unit! keep you posted.

Comment

• goatbarn
                          goatbarn commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Do you mean 6-7 behind the golfer? IE...how regular doppler units work?

6-7 behind the screen doesn't make sense to me...but not sure.

• closedclubface
                          closedclubface commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That's interesting. I called them three or four weeks ago and they said it was purely a range tool - not for a screen or net, and would not measure/calculate ball flight. Seems like I was misinformed on at least one aspect (and hopefully more!).

The Mevo is about the size of an iphone 4

3.55 x 2.76 x 1.18 in

Comment

It's bad enough when a shiny new ball spins against my screen and leaves slight scuff / burn marks.
                          Imagine the damage a ball would do with a foil dot attached to it!

Comment

While I am sure it is doing something, I have not noticed anything using the screen from Par2Pro and having to put the metal dot on my golf ball.

Comment

• goatbarn
                              goatbarn commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I didn't either when I used mine with my Xi + metallic stickers. Eventually they rubbed off anyway.
                          Working...
                          X