Do I need FSX for GC2 - Want to move up from Optishot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need FSX for GC2 - Want to move up from Optishot

I found a shop today selling a GC2 unit with FSX as a seperate item. If all I wanted to do was to play the courses on TGC , do I need the FSX software?

Is there any other licenses involved when buying a GC2?

I've hit on my optishot once and I'd like to upgrade and don't think I can handle the delay of Skytrack.

Please excuse my incorrect use of the acronyms, I'm still getting familiar with the options.

Nope, don't need FSX to play TGC, two separate and distinct software. TGC license should be the only one you need and is what I have with my GC2.

Comment

• ulmaniac
      ulmaniac commented
      Editing a comment
      hi..i was wondering which of the TGC software versions i need to make the GC2 work with TGC...i see there is "The Golf Club Simulator Software "$1220 (CAD) and "The Golf Club Simulator Software +Protee 2.0 $1470 (CAD) ....... is GSX part of this software or a seperate thing you need to get?

• Stingreye
      Stingreye commented
      Editing a comment
      Cheaper one is fine, you lose ProTee 2.0 which was the sim software sold by Protee prior to selling TGC.

Originally posted by tkotts View Post
    Nope, don't need FSX to play TGC, two separate and distinct software. TGC license should be the only one you need and is what I have with my GC2.
    Thanks Tkotts! Do you have FS1 or FR1? I haven't been able to find a comparison of the two.

I just want to practice and play some golf with buddies but am confused with options. I saw many people upset about the skytrack costs going up to $200 a year and it seemed to me GC2 had better features so here I am on the lookout for something used.

Comment

I had FR1 that came with my GC2 when I bought it from golfsmith when they closed down. I used that for about 3 weeks, it had two courses and a practice range. Got really bored, wanted to have better graphics and more courses and join the online tour... bought TGC and never used FR1 thereafter. Sold my FR1 and dongle a month ago on here and now am solely TGC... would only buy FSX if I had the head measurement tech HMT that went along with my GC2 so I could get the club head data, but that's a ways off for me cost wise.

Comment

foresight is selling the refurb for 5250 and this will be sold without software that has always been mandatory and they will not be messing with the bluetooth for the units which was finalized to me today which i am glad they stepped back from that thought of screwing with the bluetooth, so i wanted to let anyone know this and go to foresight and order one up. as of right now there is a 4 week lead time to receive and you will need to put a 1000.00 deposit down to get put on the list. give Ryan W a call he will hook you up. make sure you mention my name i do not get nothing for it but want to make sure that everyone gets some priority on this. he knows me by aeroburner or John miller
        Last edited by aeroburner; 02-16-2017, 12:39 AM.

Comment

• orangeman
          orangeman commented
          Editing a comment
          do you know if they'll be selling refurb HMT units as well?

Thanks for the info guys.

1) Is there a comparison chart anywhere for the different software?

I'm just starting out so I'm not sure if I need any additional software camera's or additional analysis but I would like to see what FR1/FSX is.

I just want to play local and online golf at home.
        Reading this thread
        http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...-with-2016-tgc

2) What will I need to use a computer with TGC? Perfromance Fitting App? Really confused here

3) Lastly, I've found some forums posts that also say Protee 2.0 and TGC packages (first is $527, second is $1326)

But both say NOT compatible with GC2?
        Last edited by eezetee; 02-16-2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

I bought my GC2 with no software. At the time, the iPad app was $50, so I bought this as a starting point. The GC2 has a display on it that shows you the numbers (ball speed, spin, launch angle etc), however I wasn't too clear on what these meant.

The iPad app is now free, and although it's nothing like the Skytrack app - it does help you visualise where the ball went. It shows a side and top profile, which lets you see the trajectory of the shot.
          After a very short period of time, I realised that there was no fun in the app. It's very much a tool for club fitting... so I took everyones advice on here and bought TGC. At the time, TGC was a free download if you owned ProTee 2.0... so I had to pay $2000 for that.
          I used ProTee a handful of times, but mainly played TGC. Loads of courses and great graphics... but I felt it was lacking as "simulation" software.

I decided to bite the bullet and buy FSX in September... and worked out a deal with Foresight for some extra courses and discounted future purchases.
          Since then, I haven't switched TGC on again! I feel FSX is a much better playing experience. It's not nearly as pretty looking at TGC, but I feel that the realism makes up for that.

If you're struggling, why don't you just start with the GC2 and the free iPad app for a while before committing to a software decision?
          I know there is an FR1 demo out there as I used it before I had TGC... but I'm not sure if Foresight have released an FSX demo. The FR1 one was very limited, but at least it gave you an idea of what was going on.

Comment

Hi p3eps,

Very interesting. Most people say the only play on TGC. I guess maybe there are differing packs of GC2 owners. Those that use the simulator software to practice and those that want to play rounds of gold, especially with people online. I haven't been able to see videos of TGC showing loft, ball launch, spin, etc. So maybe that's only in the FSX software? Or maybe Protee package will provide that.

My goals (in order) are
            To practice hitting a myriad of shot types. To do so I personally will need some feedback, not just the "game" cheering my good shot on (although nice to hear
            Play locally with buddies
            Online Play

Thanks for all the help. Finally starting to understand some of the options.

Comment

If i had the money id get fsx and tgc both. I think p3 is right that fsx is taylor made for gc2. But 3000 for it?? Hard to justify. This sim stuff gets really expensive. Used gc2 4k, sim set up, computer, projector, stance mats, nets, impact screens... then software.. i mean the list goes on and on. Im in now close to 9k and thats cheap compared to other guys here. To me personally the tgc and gc2 set up is all i need. Plus tgc2 is coming out later this year, which will be a free upgrade to previous tgc owners with a valid license. Its got many ranges, great courses. Its real enough for me. And online play is cool. The real tool here is the gc2. The ball data it provides is awesome. And i can work the ball anyway i want, hit low, high, fades draws. I get great practice and play out of it. If you can afford it get the fsx. Ive heard its great too. I just didnt want to spend anymore money. If not youll save 2k and have a great experience with tgc as well. Good luck...

Comment

Originally posted by eezetee View Post
                Hi p3eps,

Very interesting. Most people say the only play on TGC. I guess maybe there are differing packs of GC2 owners. Those that use the simulator software to practice and those that want to play rounds of gold, especially with people online. I haven't been able to see videos of TGC showing loft, ball launch, spin, etc. So maybe that's only in the FSX software? Or maybe Protee package will provide that.
                We are on a primarily TGC forum - which is why everyone plays on it.
                If you want quality graphics and online play, and unlimited courses, then TGC is the way to go. What you have to remember is that TGC is essentially an xbox / playstation / PC "game" that's been adapted for use by launch monitors and golf simulators. As a result, I feel it still plays like a game.
                Personally I'd rather have the slightly more realistic feel of FSX - which was developed only for use with a launch monitor.
                It doesn't look as nice, but I feel it plays better. It also tracks my shots, videos my swing, and stores all my stats.

Most people are looking at TGC as a great deal... $1000 with unlimited courses. They then look at FSX, which is almost $3000 with 1 course (although I think they're giving 5 free now), and then $155 per course afterwards. They then look at the graphics and think the TGC ones are much better than FSX. TGC has features like online play and the online tour, but FSX doesn't (although there is a rumour the new version due VERY soon will).

As Tony says above... in an ideal world you'd have both. Personally I have no interest in playing online - which is why I don't really play TGC anymore.
                I have plenty of FSX courses, and sometimes "treat myself" to another one or two. Thankfully I negotiated a deal so that I don't have to play $155 each!

Comment

Thanks TonyD and p3eps!

P3eps

Could I ask you for a favor? Could you record a hole on FCX and TGC? Any hole, doesn't matter.

I understand your point about the TGC plays like a game, because it is. I may like that game feel but also need practice time, to see ball data, flight pattern, etc. Maybe the protee 2.0 software bundle that Par2pro sells would be a good option. I can see some required separation from practice versus game play.

For the money i'm about to put into a GC2, refurb from Foresight at $5,250 I need to be cautious of my next move. I will probably go the idea route and see how it goes first. May be stuck on the driving range for a bit.

Comment

Could I ask you for a favor? Could you record a hole on FCX and TGC? Any hole, doesn't matter.
                    Have a look on YouTube - there are lots of videos of both. I can do you a video, but it won't be any time soon as I'm away with work for the next few weeks.

I originally thought I'd use TGC for playing, and the iPad app for practice. Although the iPad app works well, it's more like a driving range tool. Putting that up on a projector screen loses interest very quickly! The ProTee 2.0 works well.

Comment

There is videos of either or but not a comparison. I'm guessing that if I play TGC I will not get actual practice data to go with. So I may be forced to go with Proteee 2.0 or FR1/FSX software. The former isn't so bad but the latter is a kick to the teeth for minimial functionaily.

Your advice gives me a much better idea of what I want to do with my game room.

Wish I could buy you a virtual beer. Hopefully TGC implements this feature

Comment

I have the protee 2.0 as well. But to be honest i hardly use it because the graphics are so old looking. Its something out of 1995. But it has a couple of ranges and about 100 courses. I must say that the replicas of the courses are more true to the real thing. Tgc has good replicas too but lack in true yardges and there is several renditions of the same course. If i could get my hand on fsx software for around 1k id do it but 3k is a lot for me. Another reason i like tgc is not only does it suit my needs, but since p3 is correct in saying it looks more like a pc game rather than it being more realistic for LM applications, I have a 3 year old son and he loves the graphics of the tgc. You know kids love games. As he gets older and plays more golf, what better way to keep him swinging and showing interest? So to me i get the most out of it.

Comment

There is videos of either or but not a comparison. I'm guessing that if I play TGC I will not get actual practice data to go with. So I may be forced to go with Proteee 2.0 or FR1/FSX software. The former isn't so bad but the latter is a kick to the teeth for minimial functionaily.

Your advice gives me a much better idea of what I want to do with my game room.

Wish I could buy you a virtual beer. Hopefully TGC implements this feature
                        No but TGC comes with Protee 2.0. Either at Protee or other websites ( par2pro)

Comment

Working...
                        X