Replacement flash circuit board

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement flash circuit board

I first want to thank Tretee from the other forum for his help troubleshooting and everyone who has worked on ways to refurbish GC2 flashes. When I saw that the superflash price was way more than I would want to pay when my flash eventually burns out, I went ahead and designed my own circuit board since I didn't have a spare. I followed goatbarn instructions for taking apart the housing which are here.
    As I posted awhile back the flash module is really easy to disassemble with a heat gun and a utility knife. I finally got around to replacing the xenon flash

Once you get the case apart once, it is easy to swap out circuit boards as many times as you want. I'm not sure how long my circuit board assembly will last, but I have the 3.5.1 firmware with the flash counter so I can at least track it. I played a round this evening and did not have a single missed shot. To be totally upfront, I'm not trying to claim that this is as good as the superflash. I am using the same $6 tube ($13 for shipping it) that is referenced in the thread above, plus a trigger coil off aliexpress. All I am claiming is that the performance should be comparable to refurbishing one of your old flashes according to the tutorial and that this would be easier if you don't feel comfortable soldering.

Is a circuit board assembly like this something that other people here would be interested in? Replacing it still has some DIY element of getting the case apart, but at least you wouldn't have to wait several weeks for the xenon tubes to come from overseas or do any soldering. If there is enough interest, I would go ahead and get a run of circuit boards made and order a larger batch of components to save on shipping costs. A pricing structure that I was thinking of would be something like this.

Assembled replacement circuit board: one for $40, two for $75, three for $100 (including shipping to the US)
    Opening old flash case: You pay for shipping it to me plus $10 fee for opening it

So if you didn't want to do anything, you would send me your burnt out flash and $50 and I would open the case and replace the circuit board.

It took about 3 weeks last time for me to get the flash tubes, so these could potentially be ready to ship in about a month.

I to would be in for 3. Thanks.

Comment

I'd be in for 2. Thanks!

Comment

I'd be in for 2. Thanks.

Comment

So right now I'm using a trigger coil that I bought on Aliexpress and it costs about a dollar. It works for me but I don't get to play much so I can't comment on its longevity. I found a company that said they will reverse engineer the one that is found on the OEM board and make it even more durable. The trade off is that it would have to be bigger. The OEM one is smaller than what I am using so there is some room to make it larger. They have estimated that a custom designed coil will cost around $25/piece at a quantity of 25.

I really don't know how long the $1 coil is going to last. It just needs to last longer than the flash, but getting a custom coil could make the flash last longer as well. Would those of you who are interested prefer to try the cheaper one first or would you rather each board cost an extra ~$25 with the hope that there is some improvement? I know it is a fairly large percentage increase, and it would triple the manufacturing cost. I would be willing to sacrifice the coil on my OEM board if that is the route enough people want to go. Ideally, we would have a large enough number of people where we could try both versions and see if it lasts long enough to justify the increased cost.

Comment

• inorkuo
            inorkuo commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a damaged oem coil I could send to you if that would be of any use.

• andygg1986
            andygg1986 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks inorkuo. The company said if they could have one working one for electrical testing and one to cut open that would be best, so if we decide to go the custom route I will let you know

• goatbarn
            goatbarn commented
            Editing a comment
            We'll cut foresight right out of the loop eventually boys. I like this. The depths golf nerds will go to in order to not be screwed, it's great.

I'd be in for a couple.

This is what happens when you try and screw over your customers. $500 for a $25 part. Great idea, way to keep your customers coming back.

Comment

Any updates so far ?

Comment

The circuit boards are getting delivered tomorrow and trigger coils have shipped so they should be here in the next few days. They are coming from China so tracking doesn't update very often. I still have some coils from my first order too. I have received 20 flash tubes and the connectors already, as well as packing materials so hopefully they can start going out by the end of this week or early next week.
              Last edited by andygg1986; 03-06-2017, 12:49 PM.

Comment

• goatbarn
                goatbarn commented
                Editing a comment
                Bump me up to two (2) of them, please. Thanks!

Great stuff - another reason I wish I had a GC2!

Comment

• andygg1986
                andygg1986 commented
                Editing a comment
                You should get one and then design a Full Metal Jacket for it!

• awisnia
                awisnia commented
                Editing a comment
                Secretly selling FMJ's to save up for a GC2!

The circuit boards arrived yesterday. I hit a few shots with one and they were all picked up. I had seven trigger coils left from my first order, so that was the limiting factor on assembling them. I have more on order and expected them to be here by now, but that's just how it goes with shipping stuff from China I guess. Once those arrive, I can build 23 more for a total of 30.

Is there anyone who said they were interested who does not have a working flash right now? I would like to get them set up first so they can use their GC2. Other ideal buyers for these first few would be people who hit a lot of balls and would be willing to keep a rough swing count so we can start getting longevity data. If you are interested, send me a PM and I will give you my paypal and get your shipping info. I will post in this thread when the first seven are spoken for.

As a reminder, pricing is one for $40, two for $75, and three for $100 which includes shipping.

Comment

I would be in for 3 of them after you get the first batch into peoples hands. I have a spare and don't get to hit on it everyday so it'll take me a little longer to go through them, but I definitely would be interested if you are still producing them. Thanks for putting this all together!

Comment

how do we order? I'm still in for 2.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  London Hunt Club L mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                  Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                  Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                  Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                  The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

I will pm you details
                    Last edited by andygg1986; 03-10-2017, 03:19 AM.

Comment

I don't remember reading this in the thread but where exactly does this part go. Does it just pop into the flash module and you plug the module into the GC2 ?

I am asking because my flash is still working so can I order one and then replace the circuit board when my flash goes out? Or does the install need soldering

Comment

• andygg1986
                        andygg1986 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You will need to take apart the case on your flash and then this drops into the place of the old board. You don't need to do any soldering. If you are comfortable with soldering, there are instructions on another thread of how to repair your old board. To take a apart the case you can heat up the seam that is glued and then use a razor blade to cut the glue loose. See post 37 on the poat titled flash tube repair
                        Last edited by andygg1986; 03-10-2017, 03:32 AM.

PM me payment info. I have my spare running fine...but am interested in this solution for after it fails.

Comment

Same I have a working flash but would like one for backup. Let me know the details for payment

Comment

Working...
                        X