Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opinions of HMT and having club data, worth it?/GCQ owners chime in as well.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions of HMT and having club data, worth it?/GCQ owners chime in as well.

I understand that this is subjective and $5-$6k is more money to some than others. I'm just trying to make a decision on whether to pull the trigger on a refurbed or new HMT or wait, let the GCQ mature a bit, and maybe get one down the road if I can convince myself to part with another $15k. My main use for the GC2 is game improvement though I think I will be playing my share of sim golf as well after playing with TGC for the last couple months.

Just interested in others input/opinions on what they think of their GC2/HMT combos and those that now have GCQ and their input on the upgrade and how it has improved their enjoyment and golf game.

Thanks to all.

if u are getting the gc2 w/o the hmt, u may as well just get a skytrak. i'm also looking for the used gc2 hmt combo, but I couldn't find any refurbed HMT in Canada, i'll probably just get the GCQ.

Comment

Originally posted by kits013 View Post
      if u are getting the gc2 w/o the hmt, u may as well just get a skytrak. i'm also looking for the used gc2 hmt combo, but I couldn't find any refurbed HMT in Canada, i'll probably just get the GCQ.
      I'm interested to how you gathered the option that you might as well have a Skytrack than a solo GC2?
      There are loads of users on here that have upgraded from a Skytrack to a solo GC2.
      The GC2 is a significantly better unit than the Skytrack.

I've been a GC2 owner for 2 1/2 years now, and was considering an HMT. When the GCQ was announced, it changed my goals. If I'm going to pay for an HMT, I'd rather put the money towards a GCQ, and sell my GC2.
      It'll probably cost a good bit extra, however there are a few of the new features on the GCQ that I'd love... like the larger detection area.
      I'm holding off at least another few months to ensure that the GCQ has all its teething issues fixed before taking the plunge though!

In all honesty, I'm primarily using the GC2 for simulation and practice... so I don't really NEED club face monitoring. I just think it'd be useful and cool to have!

Comment

Lots of Skytrak users upgraded to GC2. There's no comparison.
        My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        London Hunt Club L mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
        The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

Sky track is not as accurate, 12 yards difference for me.

Gc2 is pointless without HMT if you are looking to improve your swing

Comment

Originally posted by Mozza View Post
          Sky track is not as accurate, 12 yards difference for me.

Gc2 is pointless without HMT if you are looking to improve your swing
          So I've had a GC2 for 3 years for nothing? Maybe I should sell it and stop using my sim seeing how it's so pointless. Your comment is as accurate as saying going to a driving range to practice is pointless unless you bring a trackman.
          Last edited by mthunt; 03-27-2017, 09:13 PM.
          My Courses:
          World Par 3's by mthunt
          Toronto GC (L) mthunt
          Burlington G&CC by mthunt
          Weston G&CC by mthunt
          London Hunt Club L mthunt
          Park CC Lidar mthunt
          Sunningdale GC Robinson L
          Sunningdale GC Thompson L
          Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
          Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
          The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
          The National GC L mthunt
          Mississaugua GC L mthunt
          Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
          Markland Woods CC mthunt
          Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
          Magna GC L mthunt
          Barrie CC L mthunt
          mthunt Range

Comment

Gc2 has many benefits over skytrak, however skytrak accuracy has been verified time and time again.

Also you can undoubtedly learn a lot about your swing without HMT by simply knowing ball flight laws, however the hmt is a great device for really fine tuning your numbers.

Comment

Back to the topic, I think u should really consider the GCquad. It is the newer unit and with software update, it will only get better. The gc2 has reach the maximum potential.

If u are financially capable of getting the newer unit, why not.

Comment

• Point280
                Point280 commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I can think of two reasons to hold off on the GCQ... The price differential between it and a GC2/HMT combo is significant; especially when you consider there are a few deals out there that pop up, which can save you a ton of money over a new GCQ (all cameras activated) with mandatory FSX purchase. The second, and I've seen this overlooked a bunch lately, is the lack of enabled Bluetooth on the GCQ. Unless I've missed something lately and they've enabled it? That renders all sim options (i.e., TGC and JNPG) obsolete. Yes, I realize the primary purpose for some is practice. FSX alone is a good option for that. I'm just not so sure the all-in-one convenience of the Q (along with some of the other slick new features) justifies the cost. If the accuracy was immensely better, it might be worth the leap and sacrifice of sim play for some; still not for others. I have yet to see a head-to-head comparison of the two (three) devices - GC2/HMT/GCQ. The GC2, with and without the HMT add-on have been more than sufficient for a host of folks on this forum, and teaching pros alike. I suspect they will be a very accurate and viable solution for many years to come. I would probably take the plunge myself, and cash out my combo unit were it not for a lack of 3rd party sim play options. I also own FSX and TGC. All excellent products! It comes down to what you want. I prefer as many options as possible; and for the cost of this stuff, I feel I should have the opportunity to use all available software to enhance my experience and enjoyment.
                Last edited by Point280; 03-28-2017, 12:45 AM.

• p3eps
                p3eps commented
                Editing a comment
                I own both FSX and TGC too... and actually prefer FSX. I think I'm in a very small minority, however I feel FSX plays more realistic.
                At the moment, I feel like I'm BETA testing FSX though as I keep finding bugs in it. I'm reporting them to Foresight, however they never fix them. V2.4 / V3.0 and V3.0.1 all have the same issue that I've reported several times so far.
                Pretty disappointing when you consider the cost... and that you can't buy a GCQ without this. I'm sure I'm not the only person seeing / reporting these issues.

Originally posted by jerry3 View Post
              Gc2 has many benefits over skytrak, however skytrak accuracy has been verified time and time again.

Also you can undoubtedly learn a lot about your swing without HMT by simply knowing ball flight laws, however the hmt is a great device for really fine tuning your numbers.
              Definitely a newbie, but I have been lurking for well over 10 hours now. I have searched and googled and it seems like the GC2 vs ST comments are all going on 1.5-2 years old now and I have seen where ST has improved over time and that GC2 has benefits, but I have not seen a "list".

I won't need a pro-level setup but I am a total geek on data. It will be at least 3 mo until my basement is finished so not in a complete rush. I doubt that I take anything to the range.

I can do some swing analysis with video. Ball and club head data would be nice. But I am thinking between ST and something on either the face (i.e. tape/powder) or skypro I should be OK for an entry level sim enthusiast.
              Last edited by GolfAholicAnonymous; 03-28-2017, 12:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GolfAholicAnonymous View Post

Definitely a newbie, but I have been lurking for well over 10 hours now. I have searched and googled and it seems like the GC2 vs ST comments are all going on 1.5-2 years old now and I have seen where ST has improved over time and that GC2 has benefits, but I have not seen a "list".

I won't need a pro-level setup but I am a total geek on data. It will be at least 3 mo until my basement is finished so not in a complete rush. I doubt that I take anything to the range.

I can do some swing analysis with video. Ball and club head data would be nice. But I am thinking between ST and something on either the face (i.e. tape/powder) or skypro I should be OK for an entry level sim enthusiast.
                Good assessment. My only gripes with SkyTrak were the delay and the struggles I had with chips and putts. The GC2 fixed both of those. But, for general practice and any shot bigger than a chip, ST is a great entry point. Several of us went this route. I loved my SkyTrak, and now I love my GC2. You won't go wrong with the SkyTrak in my opinion- it's like GC2 lite in my book.

Comment

Easy guys. Lets not hi-jack my thread.

Point280.
                  That's exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I know at the end of the day it will come down to cost. I also have both FSX and TGC so, in order to continue to use TGC and have other sim options, I would be keeping at least the GC2 and maybe selling the HMT to put that towards a GCQ if I go that route. So for me, the cost to upgrade is more (refurbed or new HMT ($5 TO $6k vs. Quad w/ club data $15K). In my case the questions I need to answer are:
                  1) Do I think the GCQ is or will be worth the extra $9K for me? Will I take it to the course enough to take advantage of the new features because, lets face it, most of my practice now and going forward will be done at home now that I have a LM.
                  2) Do we think that we will eventually be able to use GCQ with other sim software (in which case I could sell my GC2 and absorb more of the upgrade cost down the road)?
                  3) Is GC2/HMT accurate enough and future proof enough to warrant getting an HMT now and wait a while on the GCQ. As others have said, it took Foresight 6 years to come out with new product so GCQ is going to be their flagship LM for a while.

I'm interested to know how others are using their GCQ. I see the advantages of having a larger hitting area for indoor play but it seems the new features on the GCQ are more geared towards the player that takes their LM to the range/course. Somehow I think I would be a little subconscious about taking a $15K LM to my club or on the course. Just me.

Interested in others thoughts though.

Comment

• andygg1986
                    andygg1986 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My take on your questions:
                    1) How often do you take your GC2 to the course/driving range? It is at least as portable as the GCQ. Personally, I have only taken mine out a couple of times. Having club data on the range would be better than just the ball data, but if you aren't taking your GC2 out, I doubt you would suddenly start bringing your GCQ with you.
                    2) Nobody knows the answer to this, but as long as people have to buy the GCQ with FSX, it seems strange that they have it locked down. They already have your money, but I guess they still want you to buy more courses.
                    3) The GC2/HMT was considered accurate enough for lots of pros and teaching pros before the GCQ came out. I know I am not consistent enough where the tighter error margins would make a difference to me.

You have to remember that the distribution of readings is probably shaped like a bell curve (Gaussian distribution). If they say 2% error, that likely means that 95% of the readings fall within 2% of the actual value. However, if it is a Gaussian distribution, 68% will be within 1%. So it isn't that every reading on a GC2 is 2% off and the GCQ is 1% off. It is that 68% of GC2 readings are within 1% and 95% of GCQ readings are within 1%.

If you have money to burn, the GCQ looks awesome but personally I wouldn't use accuracy as a justification for spending an extra $9k.

• Point280
                    Point280 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I agree with andygg. The portability factor will be huge for some folks. I think you answered your own question about using it primarily indoors. Don't get me wrong... The Q offers some features that would benefit indoors, as well. The alignment feature isounds pretty cool. Barometric and altitude auto-calibrations? Pretty sweet. But weather and altitude can be adjusted within FSX... So again, features designed more for the real range/course. andygg has put a pretty good perspective on the accuracy between the monitors. IF someone were to conduct a side-by-side comparison, AND the accuracy were that much greater on the Q, I would CONSIDER the upgrade from my GC2/HMT. I don't see anyone chomping at the bit to compare the two. There might be some individuals questioning their Q purchases if the results were negligible.... Just sayin'. I am also one, admittedly, who could hardly benefit from a better unit than the GC2. But it's not like I don't have the ability to upgrade.

Refurb (or "pre-owned" as Foresight prefers) arrived today. Jonesing to get it hooked up but likely not until late next week. Once I've played around, will try to report in.

Comment

Its amazing how this thread just died, almost 2 years since the last post,The orginal poster (Gstmike) hasn't been on the forum in almost a year, he had alot of the same questions i have now and i would love to ask him alot of questions about how his sim is going, etc.., but he isn't around here anymore, but i find myself facing these same questions here 2 years later. Just amazing that the GCQ doesn't allow bluetooth connection with the other 3rd party software. I would have bought one now instantly if it did, but i guess the GC2 is still the way to go here (just my opinion), 2 years after all of these discussions.

Comment

I used skytrak for years and was mostly satisfied. When Foresight offered it's refub deal last year I took the jump and never looked back. For me the HMT has been a significant addition. I am in the process of changing my swing to a single plane swing and look at the club data after every shot. I am not convinced that the quad offers much over the GC2 plus HMT. You are limited to FSX which is good but expensive for each course. Perhaps a used quad would be ideal but I haven't seen any of those.

Comment

• rjd1975
                        rjd1975 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        What was the refurb deal that they offered (price please) and do they still offer it?

• Stingreye
                        Stingreye commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Black Friday Deal for NEW GC2/HMT/FSX2018/PeakCourse was the best I have seen, a hair under $10k for everything.

• robpf
                        robpf commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think they had a backlog of used GC2s and HMTs from people upgrading to the quad. It was $10 K for a used GC2 + HMT, FSX 2018 with 5 courses and a nice laptop with a GTX 1060 to run it all. Worked great right out of the box. I haven't seen anything close since and don't expect it will reappear in the future unless they get another backlog of GC2s. I would recommend looking for the best deal you can find and go for it, the longer you don't have one the longer you are missing out.

schrambow LOL I was reading all the posts in this thread and didn't realize it was 2 yrs old until your post! Anyway, this product decision is still relevant today. I personally went with GC2 solo. I would love club data and the sleeker new GCquad, but with the software limitations and extra costs I balked. Then I didn't even go with HMT (yet!) because (and feel free to call me a wuss lol) I don't love the idea of having to put stickers on my clubs (and ball too? not sure). It just seems like a messy solution. I may change my mind, but for now I'm content.

WRT to software, I love FSX2018, and find that it feels slightly more realistic to play than TGC. You likely wouldn't be disappointed in getting a gcquad. That being said, the overall gameplay in TGC is awesome and likely to be better in TGC2019. Plus the open source system for courses in TGC vs expensive course purchases in FSX make me very glad that I have the GC2 and the freedom to choose. I flip flop between FSX and TGC play regularly. If you have the luxury to get both, you will enjoy it.

Comment

• goatbarn
                        goatbarn commented
                        Editing a comment
                        No stickers on the ball for HMT. HMT measures club data only. Also, you're a wuss.

• gnomike
                        gnomike commented
                        Editing a comment
                        goatbarn hahaha ....yeah
                    Working...
                    X