GC2 USB Connection and Firmware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 USB Connection and Firmware

Has anyone had an issue getting their GC2 to connect to the computer with the USB cord so as to update the GC2’s firmware? According to Protee, I need to update the firmware on my GC2a (it came loaded with v1.8) so it can talk to my computer (ironically, I can get the GC2 to connect via Bluetooth and even show both of the ‘connected’ readings in GSX but no data transmits). I’ve tried different USB cords and Sonman’s solution here (http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...otee-2-0/page8) but nothing seems to get my computer to even recognize the GC2 is connected via USB.

Using a recently purchased Windows 10 gaming computer and a used GC2A from Golfsmith purchased from Aeroburner – so Foresight wants $500 to even troubleshoot it. Somewhat concerned the USB port is damaged - which Foresight said would be another ~$500 to fix. Really hoping one of yall knows a way to avoid a $1,000 beating??

I ran into a similar issue of GC2 not being recognized via USB. Have you downloaded the correct drivers from Foresight website? That was issue with mine

Comment

Yeah I downloaded from here (http://www.foresightsports.com/drivers-downloads) and tried to go thru the install process starting with their original driver but can't get it to connect (not seeing the GC2). Tried installing in this order, but can't even get past #1.

1. Original GC2 Driver
      2. GC2 Firmware v4.0.0.15
      3. Updated GC2 Driver

Comment

there is a windows 10 driver in a folder that you need to install

Comment

I downloaded and installed the "Original GC2 Driver" link here (http://www.foresightsports.com/drivers-downloads) which says it supports Windows 10 (selected Windows 10 on install menu too) and the driver shows to be installed correctly and updated. However the GC2 still won't show up as a USB device on the computer (in the computer's device mgr) and when trying to install firmware I keep getting an error that it can't connect to the GC2? Is there a different driver package I need to install? So confused

Comment

Just for the sake of troubleshooting, have you tried to plug it into a different computer to see if windows will recognize that it is attached at all? That would at least tell you if it is a hardware issue or not.

Comment

Have tried both multiple cords and ports (after testing them out with other devices to make sure they're working) but no luck. You did just get me thinking though - going to try another computer with an older version of Windows to see if that helps. Will let you know - and btw thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions.

Comment

I may be wrong but the last time I switched I downloaded the latest driver and it wouldn't connect either, so I had to download the older driver to get it to connect and then run the firmware update. After it installed I had to update the driver.

Comment

It's likely the version of Windows. Try a different PC.
                  My Courses:
                  World Par 3's by mthunt
                  Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                  Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                  Weston G&CC by mthunt
                  London Hunt Club L mthunt
                  Park CC Lidar mthunt
                  Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                  Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                  Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                  Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                  The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                  The National GC L mthunt
                  Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                  Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                  Markland Woods CC mthunt
                  Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                  Magna GC L mthunt
                  Barrie CC L mthunt
                  mthunt Range

Comment

Dang - no luck with a Windows 8 computer last night. I'm assuming you just click to install the "Original GC2 Driver" on the foresight website then follow the onscreen instructions? Keep feeling like I'm missing something. Any other thoughts? Anyone possibly have a driver that worked with 1.8v firmware? Really starting to think it might be damage to the GC2's USB port ugh.

Comment

Looks like it's the USB port - anyone ever fix a USB port themselves? I'm guessing that fixing one of those on a GC2 yourself involves words like "soldering" (which would be way outside of my technical purview)?

Comment

• andygg1986
                        andygg1986 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Have you opened up the plastic case on the GC2 to look at the actual USB port? If the connector is physically lifted off the board, it should be possible to solder it back down without too much difficulty. Where are you located? There might be a member who lives nearby with some soldering experience. But if there is no physical damage, you will probably have to send it in.

Originally posted by dofgpa View Post
                      Looks like it's the USB port - anyone ever fix a USB port themselves? I'm guessing that fixing one of those on a GC2 yourself involves words like "soldering" (which would be way outside of my technical purview)?
                      If soldering is a concern, don't touch it. Too much money to risk.
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      London Hunt Club L mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

Had a look at the interior of the unit and took some pics (attached) - does that all look normal? Have no clue on this stuff, but it did look to me like there could've been some previous damage and repair work done on the USB port from some soldering I noticed on the underside of the board where the USB port is mounted? I'm in Dallas if anyone is close by and knows how to fix this - I'd definitely compensate them for the trouble (hopefully they won't charge a $500 registration fee just to talk to me about it haha)? Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	117369Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.JPG
Views:	1603
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	117370Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3075.JPG
Views:	1598
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	117371

Comment

Originally posted by dofgpa View Post
                          Had a look at the interior of the unit and took some pics (attached) - does that all look normal? Have no clue on this stuff, but it did look to me like there could've been some previous damage and repair work done on the USB port from some soldering I noticed on the underside of the board where the USB port is mounted? I'm in Dallas if anyone is close by and knows how to fix this - I'd definitely compensate them for the trouble (hopefully they won't charge a $500 registration fee just to talk to me about it haha)? Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	1608
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	117369Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.JPG
Views:	1603
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	117370Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3075.JPG
Views:	1598
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	117371
                          Looks like you simply have a board which is mostly surface mount components with a few thru the board connections that were hand soldered. Why do you think this is somehow a problem? The solder joints look O.K. in your pictures. Before you get carried away purchase a can of contact cleaner from any electronics type store and spray the inside of the mini USB connector and the cable end..

Comment

It is hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the center contact on the usb connector is bent. I'm in Dallas too and could replace the connector for you if you want. I have a really nice soldering station with a microscope at work. Feel free to pm me if you want

Comment

Working...
                            X