GCQuad Failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GCQuad Failure

Ive had my quad for a couple months and generally it's a great unit and has helped me a ton. However there may be a MAJOR design flaw. Now that I'm getting inside well with the driver, the new LEDs flash units are transmitting a reflection off the top corner of the driver head just outside the face (the shinny black part). This leads to either no club head data or crazy club data (inside path of 30 degrees and downward attack angle of 20 degrees) although ball data remains perfect. Forsight engineers have my data (as the quad can save data and send to them). They are calling this "spectacular aberrations" as the reflection of the LED makes another false sticker interpretation which throws everything off.

For now they recommend putting Matte black tape on this part of my driver and they say they are working on a firmware update but you can imagine this is a marketing nightmare as people have enough issue with the stickers in the first place but if they have to put tape on the driver, this thing will be dead in the water especially at 18k. Anyway wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

Eh, I think we all expected to see some growing pains with the release of the Quad. Part of the reason I held off. They should be able to address this with some exposure or flash adjustments. This could happen on the HMT too. They have a utility that will upload the images from the HMT so they can see what is happening. When my HMT was acting up they had me try tape and crap. Lights on, lights off. Nothing made a difference and they ended up sending me an RMA and it has been fine since. This was after I sent it in and they "fixed" it.

Comment

I have purchased a GCQuad and waiting for it to ship. It was supposed to ship in April but now looking at sometime this month. Should I think about cancelling the order?

Comment

As above... this is a teething issue for early adopters.
        I decided to give it until at least summer before buying mine - to make sure that they've been tried and tested!
        I'm sure there will be a FW fix for this eventually!

Comment

I'm certainly regretting giving up my perfectly working GC2/HMT now but I expected the tech to be good enough. 3 months later and still only a USB 3 connection as wifi or Bluetooth does not work and now this. I'm betting it will be a few months for them to fix it. However if it's not fixed soon I may be returning mine and buying a trackman 4

Comment

You say "returning". Have they told you that you can return the product past 30 days of ownership?

Comment

Not sure. I'll give them a couple weeks to get this fixed, and keep folks posted.

Comment

Maybe push them to send you a replacement to see if it is just unit specific. You are right, for the cost of this thing it should be damn near flawless out the gate. With new products you can expect to have a few minor issues. By the sounds of it these are more major. No wireless connectivity? Really? Now reading errors? Not good, they need to make it right like yesterday.

Comment

Update -- FS took my GCQ back about a week ago and sent me a loaner GC2/HMT to use. Got a call saying the engineers have found the issue and are working on a firmware update for all GCQ in the next 1-2 weeks. Basically they are changing the algorithm by which the quad locates the club head stickers so it can ignore reflections from the club head. They mentioned a PGA pro was hitting balls on a range last week and was getting hosel reflections from the sun angle that was also giving him errors. I think they realize the importance of fixing this if they are going to go after the trackman market. Stay tuned.

Comment

Update? I got my gcquad last week and have also experienced what you have, so I'm guessing their hasn't been an update.

Comment

i was told not to buy it for at least a year from a rep, they even shipped mine on accident even though i never sent them my GC2/HMT, good luck i hope they get the bugs worked out soon thats a lot of $$$
                      Last edited by aeroburner; 07-01-2017, 11:36 PM.

Comment

Appreciate you weighing in Aero. Would you be willing to expand on what else the rep said? I'm moving at some point in the next year and 1 of the main things I'm looking for is space to setup a simulator in either the basement or garage. For the time being I'm just using it at the range or net at home.

I got the gcquad to get the most accurate info indoors but also to be easily able to bring it with me to the range/course(and get close to TM4 data). Do you think I'd be better off returning my gcquad and getting a TM4?

Comment

I was thinking I would give them a year or two to work bugs out before I traded up, but now I'm going to give it 3 or 4 years. Thanks for posting gents! Keep us updated.

Comment

Any new updates on the fix for this?

Comment

Glad I didn't become an early adopter on this one. Sounds like there are a lot of kinks to work out in the basics of this new system, and it's unclear Foresight will ever allow this machine to work with 3rd party simulators. Thus, the sad reality is that the machine that alleges to be the best new launch monitor tech in the world is barely discussed on the world's most active golf simulator forum. I guess playing pros/golf teachers/fitters are a bigger market that Foresight doesn't want diluted by home enthusiasts? Foresight will sell them refurbed GC2s for the time being, while Skytrak actively courts them. Other systems aren't as small/portable.

Comment

Working...
                              X