Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @kchogan winning the TGC 2016/2017 Winter Tour - Arnold Palmer Invitational !

Join this weeks TGC 2016/2017 Winter Tour - WGC Dell Match Play with 2 rounds at Pine Valley Protee White Tees by Graig118 : http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...ell-match-play
See more
See less

GC2 flash module FYI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GC2 flash module FYI

Just wanted to let GC2 owners know that the standard flash module available in the past is phased out. As of May 6th, Foresight released a "limited life flash" and a "super flash" costing $95 and $495, respectively. The limited life flash is being advertised as a temporary substitute while you order a new Super flash. I am told it is not the old standard flash. There is no warranty on it and no information on expected lifespan. The Super flash is being touted to last at least 6 times longer than the old standard. I never got more than 4 months from the old standard. I suspect my flash controller was prematurely frying flashes though. The Super flash has a pro rata warranty which appears on the website. I wish it was pro rata based on flash numbers and not months but they didn't ask me. As the old flash no longer exists, I am basically going to have to get the Super flash. They are claiming high volume sites in Korea, Japan and UK that could implode a standard flash in 30 days are still running on original testing Super flashes since October (7 months) . If that is true, I was getting about 3x that so I should get at least 21 months on a Super. In true Foresight fashion, nowhere is this clear or apparent on the website. The accessories tab still shows the old flash. However, the warranties under the Support tab show what I am telling you. My additional information comes from my Foresight sales rep who has always been very helpful to me even during my bitching sessions.

Is foresight trying to not sell units? First the sdk fee for those who don't buy their software, now a $500 flash module? That seems awful high.

Also, if you were only getting 4 months out of your flash, i would definitely think you had a hardware issue. Others i have been on have had flashes last significantly longer as in years.

Comment

Huh, this is interesting. I'd guess this "super flash" is a LED flash. If so, it could theoretically last "forever" and I would say forever could justify that price tag. Forever being a home user that uses it regularly. If I could get a good 7-10 years out of it I could swallow that. By then there maybe some other device that is WAY better for a 1/4 the cost. I'm still running on the original flash and have the backup so I won't have to deal with this too soon.

Comment

• Ronsc1985
        Ronsc1985 commented
        Editing a comment
        The flash modules are already high power IR LED's similar to those used in police laser auto speed measurement units.

Foresight is funny.

Comment

Just put in my spare and happened to buy a new flash before last month because I was ordering the smaller protection shield. Foresight's shipping charges are on the high side, so I figured I might as well. Always want to have a back up flash. Good thing I bought it as I was on the fence. This new flash seems cool, but is very difficult to swallow at $495.

Comment

Any further insight from anyone about the components inside the flash unit itself. Are they leds or xenon tube. Either or what is the relevant specifications for the components. There will be a rush of diyers trying to resurrect and old unit by finding compatible flash components.

Comment

Anyone know if it's true what i read on other sites that once you get the driver board updated to be able to use the super flash that this super flash only works with their new firmware, and this firmware is one that also blocks use of Bluetooth, hence shutting down the ability to use tgc and all with the gc2 as well.

If this is all true and they are only selling the super flash now, everyone will have to eventually buy them (if they aren't willing to try to hack their old ones). Then doesn't that effectively shut down the use of tgc by them?

Or have people been using the super flash with the old firmwares without issue?

​​​​​

Comment

• Stingreye
              Stingreye commented
              Editing a comment
              Doubt it. I think aeroburner has the new super flash in his unit.

• Stingreye
              Stingreye commented
              Editing a comment
              Read the thread in question. I did remember hearing about one version of firmware not working with BT. Which also means the Foresight Performance App will not work. Not sure if it was a bug or intentional. There is a new App coming out.... so that might answer the question.

first off there is no super flash its the only flash that is offered through foresight it works just fine with any unit

Comment

Not sure that's true aero.

There's a limited life spare and a super flash according to this warranty policy on foresight site:

"This Flash Module is a spare and does not include a
              manufacturer’s warranty period. This is intended to be
              used in the case that your Super Flash module expires
              and should only be used to maintain use of the GC2
              device while awaiting a new Super Flash module to
              arrive. Please be advised that no replacement will be
              offered in the case that the spare expires."

Comment

The limited life is only a backup now. There's only really one flash. It's the super flash.

Aero, it's the $500 one, right? Do you notice any difference? For some reason, I'm getting a few no reads but only with 100-110 yard shots. Aaron at Foresight Canada said the new flash would solve it. I never got around to getting him to send me one.

Comment

• Stingreye
                  Stingreye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You mean....pay the $500 registration because I never got it transferred to my name before the policy change...... and then buy the $500 Super Flash!

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Come on. You have to register it to buy a flash? That's crazy. Par2pro even?

• Stingreye
                  Stingreye commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I am not sure....maybe its only repairs and not parts.

that is correct MT hunt

Comment

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Do you notice a difference?
              Working...
              X