Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tilt Calibration... Futile On GC2s with Serial Numbers Above 2000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt Calibration... Futile On GC2s with Serial Numbers Above 2000?

So my GC2 has been acting stupid for the past two weeks now. I am getting silly side spin numbers at times and the putting seems off: for instance I'll hit directly parallel to the monitor and my ball even ends up left of the parallel line when it comes to a stop, but somehow the monitor registers a push 3.7 degrees to the right. Also, I cannot for the life of me get over 145 on ball speed with a driver, where before I could get in the 150-155ish range if I licked it good. It's also going green and locking on the ball, but then when I address the ball and swing it goes back to red at some point because my shot doesn't register. Then I get the occasional reading that just doesn't seem right, for example: BS 47, LA 17.9, PULL 2.7L, SS 374L, BS 5637, C 145

So I called foresight to see if they had any ideas. During that conversation I brought up the tilt calibration too. The rep told me that this tool won't do anything for my model which is in the 11,000 serial number range. More specifically, he told me the tilt calibration tool will not work for any GC2 with a serial number over 2000. Can anybody weigh in on this? Has anybody found the tilt calibration tool useful for a GC2 unit with a serial number higher than 2000?

I ran it anyway, but it didn't seem to fix anything. That said, I don't think I had the unit dead level when I ran it. Speaking of "leveling the unit"... how exactly do you do that? Just make sure the surface you're placing it on is level and plop it down then run the calibration tool?

I'm currently running the 4.0.0.15 firmware. I'm going to remove that and install the 3.5. firmware version.

Never run tilt unless it's dead dead dead level. I have a tournament pool table in my basement. It's super flat. That's a great place to do it. Run it again, try 3.5 and try again.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

First I have unit no 2133 and the tilt calibration works just fine and has on every firmware version starting with 3.5 up to and including the latest 4.0.0.15. To run the calibrations use a inclinometer and calibrate the unit on surface which has been leveled in both x and y directions.

What you are actually doing is storing the accelerometer offsets at level in the unit processor so it knows what it reads when the unit is actually level. This is common practice with accelerometers. It then uses these offsets to adjust its measurements when it does the ball flight ballistics calculations. If it didn't know what level actually reads it would be impossible to use the unit outdoors since all ranges have some tilt on them to facilitate drainage.

Be aware that the offsets can change over time so it doesn't hurt to run the calibration every now and then.

It may very well be that at some production number higher the 2133 you can no longer run the calibration.

Comment

Don't know why I didn't think to set it on my pool table to run the calibration to begin with. I'll have to grab an extra monitor from work to do it. I'm also going to use an inclinometer based on Ronsc's suggestion to ensure it's dead dead dead level. Thanks for the feedback. Fingers crossed. I'll update the results.

Comment

Will the newer units with the super flash work on 3.5? I'm curious because I have been having similar problems ie: low driver ball speed, no reads on putts and chips (flash doesn't even fire). The only way I have found to counteract the no reads is to place the ball back and away as far as possible in the hitting zone. It works but annoying when I forget to do so and have to re-hit. The red light issue I catch out of the corner my also sometimes but mainly when the ball is in the center of the hitting zone.

Sorry not meaning to be a thread robber, just looked like a good place to ask my question and add a little input.
          Last edited by SwingLeft; 01-03-2017, 03:31 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Stingreye
            Stingreye commented
            Editing a comment
            I changed my flash to my backup flash and it worked perfectly after. I assumed it was because my flash was going out. Do you have a spare flash?

Put the 3.5 firmware on the unit and recalibrated using my pool table as a starting point then fine tuned with an inclinometer. Hit about fifty balls with the driver. Ball speed is still low. Maybe even worse than before my latest efforts to fix this. Also got abnormal results with both a six iron and eight iron. This is so frustrating. I reinstalled firmware 4.0.0.15 and let the battery run all the way down before putting it on the charger. Gonna try again tonight. May just give up and send it in to foresight. I also love how foresight suggests your swing is just different that day all the while they're putting out updated firmware to fix "miscellaneous" bugs. Starting to wish I bought the skytrak.

Comment

Originally posted by ncube View Post
            ..... Starting to wish I bought the skytrak.
            I'll trade you straight up!

Comment

I wonder if the flash is going out as I said in my comment above. I had where I would put chip etc and it wouldn't respond at all just turn from green to red. Swapped flash and bam fixed. I also remember reading somewhere where someone had to do a hard reset and removed the battery for a few seconds to ensure power was completely drained on unit. Don't remember where I read that though or what symptoms they were fixing so I wouldn't mess with that solution without knowing why people hard reset with battery removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                I wonder if the flash is going out as I said in my comment above. I had where I would put chip etc and it wouldn't respond at all just turn from green to red. Swapped flash and bam fixed. I also remember reading somewhere where someone had to do a hard reset and removed the battery for a few seconds to ensure power was completely drained on unit. Don't remember where I read that though or what symptoms they were fixing so I wouldn't mess with that solution without knowing why people hard reset with battery removed.
                A battery removal reset is for occasions where you get a software hang. When this happens you are in a situation where nothing works and you can't even shut of the machine because the switches are actually port inputs to the hardware not actual hard connect/ disconnect.

I used to have this happen every now and then. I assume it was when the machine got into a unrecoverable loop. In general these situations are caused by an inadvertent software bug. I haven't had this happen since I loaded 3.9 and then 4.0.0.15.

This type of thing is not unique to a GC2. Almost every laptop computer I have ever had at one time or another required me to remove the battery pack to get restarted from a software hang.

Comment

Completely drained the battery, then unplugged the battery, then recharged the battery. Wiped the unit down with glass cleaner where it made sense to do so. Has worked like normal since. Don't know for sure that what I did had anything to do with why it seems to be working now. Fingers crossed it stays this way. Still haven't had a ball speed over 149 with driver, but that variation (previously getting 150-155 with a smash) could be due to the way I'm swinging. Irons are in line with normal. No crazy reads on putting either.

Comment

Nice! Good to know!

Comment

Can anyone direct me to a download of the tilt calibration tool. I have an older unit I would like to try this on. Thanks

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by LoR View Post
                        Can anyone direct me to a download of the tilt calibration tool. I have an older unit I would like to try this on. Thanks

​​​​​​
                        My Courses:
                        World Par 3's by mthunt
                        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                        Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                        Weston G&CC by mthunt
                        London Hunt Club L mthunt
                        Park CC Lidar mthunt
                        Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                        Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                        Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                        Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)