X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Sports ES16 - New Camera Based LM

• Hi Folks,
    I'm having trouble with my ES16... I finally got the proper tee to calibrate yesterday. I was blown away as to how fast ES shipped it to me so I understand what people are saying about their customer service. Anyway, I finished playing 9 holes on my Skytrak with TGC last night and was excited to get the ES16 going to test it out after that. I'm at firmware 1.36 and recalibrated before using the ES16 but I had a bunch of mis-reads. A few of the ball flights were close to my Skytrak but most were not. Some went crazy left and crazy right or totally straight and no club/face data was displayed.

Here's my question... about a month ago I switched to putting my skytrak on the same mat that I hit off of. I stand on the exact same sized mat beside the one I'm hitting off of. My skytrak has never worked better. I put the ES16 where in the same location as my Skytrak but haven't had nearly as good results. Any ideas? Why would the skytrak read really well off the mat and the ES doesn't? I'll have to find another way to level the ES up to the same height to see if the matt is the culprit or not. Any ideas? Kind of bummed at this point with my ES16. Thanks!

Comment

• Baller
      Baller commented
      Editing a comment
      That is strange. If you're on 136 firmware, do not update (my opinion--I don't like the 137). You're sure you went through the calibration correctly? You erased the calibration settings and then calibrated?

Are you hitting the mat first when your hit? You may get misreads sometimes if you happen to hit behind the ball.

Also, your name is lefty... are you a lefty? Did you set it upon for left correctly? (Just being sure)
      Last edited by Baller; 02-02-2017, 05:02 PM.

• Originally posted by Bubba22 View Post
    What part of the unit did it hit? Keep us posted for sure.
    Well, I hit the unit right in the face where the cameras are. You could hear something moving and even though it would still recognize a hot here and there, something was clearly wrong. Perhaps I dislodged a camera.

Anyway, I'm told the only other person to have an issue had the Ernest Care protection on it (when I asked what's the repair cost might be). They said they would make an exception for me since I've been working with them on the unit for a while now... made it sound like they wouldn't do this again.... they gave me the option of getting the Ernest Care before sending it in. Again, he made it clear that its only available in the first 39 days of buying the unit and they are making a special exception for me.

I opted to to get it. It was a dumb move on my part to hit the unit how I did. I should not have had a ball anywhere near me while going through those swing drills. Regardless, I'd say if anyone gets one of these think about getting the Ernest Care protection while you can. He said it covers all damage including a dig gettting ahold of it. Full replacement if needed.

Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Lefty13 View Post
      Hi Folks,
      I'm having trouble with my ES16... I finally got the proper tee to calibrate yesterday. I was blown away as to how fast ES shipped it to me so I understand what people are saying about their customer service. Anyway, I finished playing 9 holes on my Skytrak with TGC last night and was excited to get the ES16 going to test it out after that. I'm at firmware 1.36 and recalibrated before using the ES16 but I had a bunch of mis-reads. A few of the ball flights were close to my Skytrak but most were not. Some went crazy left and crazy right or totally straight and no club/face data was displayed.

Here's my question... about a month ago I switched to putting my skytrak on the same mat that I hit off of. I stand on the exact same sized mat beside the one I'm hitting off of. My skytrak has never worked better. I put the ES16 where in the same location as my Skytrak but haven't had nearly as good results. Any ideas? Why would the skytrak read really well off the mat and the ES doesn't? I'll have to find another way to level the ES up to the same height to see if the matt is the culprit or not. Any ideas? Kind of bummed at this point with my ES16. Thanks!
      Thanks Baller! I did the reset 3 but you've got me wondering if there's a different calibration for lefties? I am indeed a lefty. Is the calibration different for lefties? Or do I have to change the settings in the software for a lefty somewhere? I looked but didn't see that one... thanks again!!

Comment

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, you do need to change it!!!

You may have to figure it out or email the ES guys. I have it somewhere because my daughter is a lefty, but I can't find it and I haven't tried it yet. You calibrate the same as righty and might have to be in righty mode to calibrate, but here is some info I have for setting to outdoor mode and it says what to do for lefty. This should help you figure it out. I would try but I just sent off my unit.

To enter outdoor mode, go into the programming menu, scroll to MDE option. 01 MDE = indoors, 11 MDE is outdoors for right handed players, 21 MDE is outdoors for left handed players. In outdoor mode, the red light does not have to turn green before taking a shot.

• Lefty13
        Lefty13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Baller!! I'll try to get in touch with them today!! Appreciate it!!

• Baller, what didn't you like about the 137 update? I thought 136 was working quite well.

Comment

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        Could have been just me, but it took longer for the unit to recognize the ball and give me a green light as soon as I updated to 137. I recalibrated and that made no difference. Again, could've been just me, but I've always gotten a green light right very quickly, but once I updated it took much longer than I was used to. I've hit thousands of balls on this thing and I notice the slightest changes.

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        And I did like the 136, by the way. I thought it was great. Not sure why I tried to update. Wish I hadn't for sooooo many reasons.

• John2660
        John2660 commented
        Editing a comment
        Baller, 138 is already out. Apparently something went wrong with 137. My unit is picking up green immediately again. Numbers look good. I would update your firmware again today.

• How did it go with the calibration Lefty?

Comment

• Lefty13
        Lefty13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I didn't have a lot of luck yet.. they sent me a tee immediately which was awesome! I'm going to give them a call today actually and see if we can get it figured out. The distances seem pretty good but I get a lot of readings saying the face and the path are identical... like both are -5.7 or something along those lines. Seems like every 3rd or 4th shot has the exact same path and club face reading. I'm debating buying the extended warranty at this point... even though it's $450... Thanks for asking though!!!

• Hi Folks,

I did my second calibration today with the ES16 and I had more luck. I'm feeling better about the spin this morning; however, I started to get more misreads the colder it got in my garage. It's about -15 Fahrenheit outside but my garage is about 40 degrees in my garage. Is that possible? I'm calling them today to ask the following questions: a) Do multiple logos hurt the accuracy of the spin

b) What do the other resets do?

c) What do the negatives in club face club path and clubface the past mean? I’m a lefty hitting inside out and get negative swing paths…

d) The distances seem quite good but it is the spin I'm worried about. The biggest misread is club face and club path and up being very negative match in the ball goes straight. For example, both club path and club face are -74.5 and the ball goes dead straight down the middle...

e)Does temperature affect the device much

f) Is this info available online at all?

I'll report back later... does anyone have any example repair costs for this thing?

Comment

• Baller
        Baller commented
        Editing a comment
        Please let us know what they say on those other resets. I meant to ask and haven't. There is no repair cost info yet as far as I know. There's was one before me but was covered with the extended protection. I heard ES is working on a case, and I'd likely be interested at some point.

A negative number means out to in swing, or a closed face. I'd assume that to stay true for lefty since it's probably in relation to the unit. Make sure you have the unit lined up perfectly along your intended target line.

• Lefty13
        Lefty13 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was talking with Clay today and asked him a million questions. I briefly mentioned the other resets but we got off topic and I forgot to go back to it. He did say they're not really for the user to worry about... just reset #3. He did say that....
        a) Multiple Logos can throw the camera pictures off.
        c) Temperature does not affect the device at all. I figured as much but felt I was getting more misreads as my garage cooled off.
        d) Repair costs go anywhere from $250 to $2000 if the main board needs to be replaced. I ended up buying the extended protection for a year... I hate buying these things but am worried about a hosel rocket breaking it.

• Lefty13
        Lefty13 commented
        Editing a comment
        Clay also said the ball's logo should be flat and not pointed up towards the cameras. He also recommended putting a dark line through the Titleist Logo to help improve the accuracy.

• I'm also wondering if the creator of the Full Metal Jacket might be able to create something for the ES16? Scares the Bejesus out of me letting someone else use it... I trust myself but I'm a lot more queasy if I ever let my 8 year old swing around it compared to my skytrak. I haven't let my kids go near this one yet... Thoughts on a Full Metal Jacket version for the ES16?

Comment

• Does anyone have any tips for getting accurate spin readings? IE Closer to the machine, further from the machine, etc etc? Kind of like the Skytrak benefitted from the ball being placed behind the red dot for the driver? Clay also said BOLD logos work well like Srixons. Thanks!

Comment

• What are the advantages of the ES16 vs a GC2? Right now they are basically the exact same price (5450 es16 vs 5700 gc2), and I'm interesting in both models. Everything I've read before the es16 says the gc2 is the best for indoors, but the es16 is newer and seems like it does most of the same things? Is the gc2 much more accurate or something?

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by mn44 View Post
            What are the advantages of the ES16 vs a GC2? Right now they are basically the exact same price (5450 es16 vs 5700 gc2), and I'm interesting in both models. Everything I've read before the es16 says the gc2 is the best for indoors, but the es16 is newer and seems like it does most of the same things? Is the gc2 much more accurate or something?

Thanks
            Basically the ES16 is in beta right now so it's finicky where you place the ball and how you place the logo of the ball. If it's not just right it won't read the data correctly or at all, but on the plus side they have club data which is something the GC2 doesn't have. GC2 is spot on with accuracy and reads every shot consistently without being finicky on where or how you place the ball

Comment

• Originally posted by jerry3 View Post

Basically the ES16 is in beta right now so it's finicky where you place the ball and how you place the logo of the ball. If it's not just right it won't read the data correctly or at all, but on the plus side they have club data which is something the GC2 doesn't have. GC2 is spot on with accuracy and reads every shot consistently without being finicky on where or how you place the ball
              Is the club data calculated or measured? How well does it work indoors? My setup would be under 10ft from ball to screen, indoors. I'm deciding between the gc2 and es16.

Also, what are software costs/options on the es16?

Thanks!

Comment

Is the club data calculated or measured? How well does it work indoors? My setup would be under 10ft from ball to screen, indoors. I'm deciding between the gc2 and es16.

Also, what are software costs/options on the es16?

Thanks!
                Some measure some not. The difference between the two is accuracy and club data.
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                London Hunt Club L mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

• Originally posted by mthunt View Post

Some measure some not. The difference between the two is accuracy and club data.
                  Got it. So the gc2 is more accurate, but the es16 has club data. Yes?

Has there been a direct comparison in terms of accuracy?

Comment

Got it. So the gc2 is more accurate, but the es16 has club data. Yes?

Has there been a direct comparison in terms of accuracy?
                    I posted some videos a while back of the ES16 and GC2. As far as accuracy goes, I'd compare it to a skytrak.
                    My Courses:
                    World Par 3's by mthunt
                    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                    Weston G&CC by mthunt
                    London Hunt Club L mthunt
                    Park CC Lidar mthunt
                    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                    The National GC L mthunt
                    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                    Markland Woods CC mthunt
                    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                    Magna GC L mthunt
                    Barrie CC L mthunt
                    mthunt Range

Comment

• I believe ES16 still has the 3.0-3.5 second delay (based on the last videos I saw) and GC2 is around 0.8-1.5 seconds, if shot delay matters to you.

Comment

Working...
                      X