This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ernest Sports ES16 - New Camera Based LM

• I loaded a new firmware today and hit a ton of balls in the app. Then I switched to TGC and played an awesome course called Mississaugua G&CC. You guys should check it out. Apparently they've had the second most Canadian Opens.

I played all 18 with the ES16 and was very very impressed. I expected I'd struggle getting used to it and score high but it was not the case. I had a couple of 7 foot putts, a few 7 yard chips, bunker shots and all. In 18 holes I had I think 2 or 3 no reads which I think was due to ball placement, I chip that went 4 feet right of where I'm sure I hit it, 1 putt that went 2 degrees right and one five iron that went too far. The five iron went 210 in the air from heavy rough. Not likely. For 18 holes, that was very impressive. I love that the club data is in the post shot screen as well. My only complaint is having to place the ball on a spot the size of a pin with logo upright and facing the device to get it to accept the location. It really could use a laser pointer. All in all I'd say it's accuracy is on par with Skytrak except it has club data.

People have spoken about the GC2 having draw bias. I'm one of them. I figured it was being in doors but I'm not sure now. The ES16 has no draw bias. My normal flight is close to straight. It was with the ES but I draw the gc2. Strange. It might be how I'm aligning on the gc2.
    Last edited by mthunt; 01-12-2017, 03:01 AM.
    My Courses:
    World Par 3's by mthunt
    Toronto GC (L) mthunt
    Burlington G&CC by mthunt
    Weston G&CC by mthunt
    London Hunt Club L mthunt
    Park CC Lidar mthunt
    Sunningdale GC Robinson L
    Sunningdale GC Thompson L
    Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
    Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
    The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
    The National GC L mthunt
    Mississaugua GC L mthunt
    Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
    Markland Woods CC mthunt
    Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
    Magna GC L mthunt
    Barrie CC L mthunt
    mthunt Range

Comment

• mthunt
      mthunt commented
      Editing a comment
      You could epoxy a $5.00 laser pointer to this in a minute.

• Baller
      Baller commented
      Editing a comment
      Have you been getting email notifications for the updates? I haven't gotten one of those since my exchange unit and thinking something went wrong because of that. I've been updating, but don't have anything to tell me what's changed.

• mthunt
      mthunt commented
      Editing a comment
      I plugged it in yesterday and it updated. I'm not on an email list.

• It sounds live this device is going to be a winner. Plus much cheaper than gc2 as well. Or the new gcq.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GC2 Eastern Time Zone, USA

Comment

• Great news on the new update mthunt. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Hi Guys! I've been reading through many of these 40 pages about the ES16 trying to decipher if the face angle and path are derived/calculated or measured. I've read through many of the pages and it's hard to keep all of the firmware versions straight. Can someone let me know if it's measured or derived/calculated? Is this any better than the Skytrak calculation/derivation/guess? Thanks! Appreciate it!

Comment

• Lefty13
          Lefty13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok... I just read on page 37 it's currently calculated/derived. I'm a little uneasy about this but wondering if the club data is that much better than the Skytrak... I'm assuming it is as I've read lots of good feedback here recently but there was lots of concern in the beginning. Will the data be useful and real enough to help improve my game? Thanks again everyone!!

• Skytrak only captures and shows ball data. GC@ and Skytrak with TGC shows club data but it's calculated but not accurate.

ES16 has the following club data points and what I believe is calculated. I can say that it seems accurate to me.

club face (calculated which is the same as trackman)
        club path (I believe still calculated but changing)
        club head speed (Measured)
        aoa (Measured I believe)
        face to path (Calculated which is the same as Trackman)
        smash factor (Measured)

plus all ball data which is all measured.

If someone knows for certain, let me know.

My Courses:
        World Par 3's by mthunt
        Toronto GC (L) mthunt
        Weston G&CC by mthunt
        Park CC Lidar mthunt
        The National GC L mthunt
        Mississaugua GC L mthunt
        Markland Woods CC mthunt
        Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
        Magna GC L mthunt
        Barrie CC L mthunt
        mthunt Range

Comment

• Lefty13
          Lefty13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks MTHunt! Really appreciate the info today and all of the info already posted here! Same goes to Bubba and the rest of you folks!

While I'm not expecting Trackman or GC2 accuracy, are people thinking it's helpful enough to improve and not just a gimmick? My initial impression was that it was all measured so was shocked to read it's calculated; however, since MTHunt mentioned trackman does the same thing, I feel much better. I'm a happy Skytrak owner who really wishes he had accurate club face data. I was thinking the ES16 might give me that information so was going to make the jump up to it. I think it sounds like it's worth the move but this is a tough decision!

• Baller
          Baller commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, all ball data is measured; aoa is measured, and uses both Doppler and camera so should be very accurate and seems so. Therefore, it also has the ability to read the club data, which hopefully comes down the line, whereas Trackman only uses Doppler.

But key word in that last part is... hopefully! Either way, I'm happy with my purchase. I like the size, the weight, that software features, the portability, the battery life... I think it's well worth the price.

• Lefty13
          Lefty13 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Baller! It sounds like most people feel it's a noticeable upgrade over the ST... A buddy of mine has one and might sell it... I'm debating buying it from him but it's going to probably cost me a couple of grand to upgrade after II sell my ST and then pay him the difference. It's a bit hard paying that amount so I'm trying to make sure it's a good upgrade and I'm going to get some extra value for the difference in the price.

• So tempting. So tempting.

Comment

• Hi Folks,
          I need to calibrate my ES16. Does anyone know if I need the actual black tee to calibrate it? Any other ways I can calibrate it without it? I have the actual paper. Thanks!

Comment

• I would just email them. They will send you a new one if you need it.

Comment

• Lefty13
              Lefty13 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! I'll give that a try!!

• I'm also wondering about the kind of tee that we need to use. I've been using the Birtee (www.birtee.com) with my skytrak and it's been great. Tried a bigger one last night with the ES16 and couldn't get the light to turn green. It's the same size of tee I've been using with the Skytrak. Thanks again!!

Comment

• Sorry for all the newbie questions... I double checked my version and I'm at 1.36. Is that the latest? Does upgrading firmware require a recalibration? Thanks again everyone!!

Comment

• I believe 1.36 is the latest. I have been told you should recalibrate after any major update. If yours came with 1.36 it would have been already calibrated for that update. As far as tees go, that is where the unit has been sensitive. It likes a dark colored tee that is standard size to not interfere with the cameras. I have noticed that it is getting better with that. My unit was reading well with white tees after the last update. You can take a regular tee and wrap it with electric tape or color it with a sharpie.

Comment

• Lefty13
                  Lefty13 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks John2660!!! Appreciate it greatly!!

• Originally posted by Lefty13 View Post
                I'm also wondering about the kind of tee that we need to use. I've been using the Birtee (www.birtee.com) with my skytrak and it's been great. Tried a bigger one last night with the ES16 and couldn't get the light to turn green. It's the same size of tee I've been using with the Skytrak. Thanks again!!
                I use a normal tee and posted a video hitting driver in this thread
                My Courses:
                World Par 3's by mthunt
                Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                Weston G&CC by mthunt
                Park CC Lidar mthunt
                The National GC L mthunt
                Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                Markland Woods CC mthunt
                Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                Magna GC L mthunt
                Barrie CC L mthunt
                mthunt Range

Comment

• Lefty13
                  Lefty13 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks mthunt ! I did watch that video before posting and and was relieved to see you using a tee. I was really hoping to it would work with the birtees as they've been great to use with the Skytrak... thanks again for all of the help!

• mthunt
                  mthunt commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm sure you can. It tracks the logo on the ball.

• Originally posted by Lefty13 View Post
                I'm also wondering about the kind of tee that we need to use. I've been using the Birtee (www.birtee.com) with my skytrak and it's been great. Tried a bigger one last night with the ES16 and couldn't get the light to turn green. It's the same size of tee I've been using with the Skytrak. Thanks again!!
                I was told by ernest sports not to use white tees. The tee being the same color as the ball messes with the es16. This was several weeks ago so it may not be true anymore with newer firmware updates.

Comment

• Ok, well, let me be the first to say that the outside of this unit is pretty indestructible. I was taking some practice swings while working on some drills and I accidentally hit the ball with the toe of my club. It went straight into the ES16. I'm pretty sure I did something to it.

Just emailed them. Hope it doesn't hurt too much.

Will report.

Comment

• What part of the unit did it hit? Keep us posted for sure.

Comment

Working...
                    X