Simulator for seamless right and left handed play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulator for seamless right and left handed play

Hi all! I have been lurking on here for quite while before actually registering. Have been doing tons of reading and research. I purchased an OptiShot months ago just to get some swings in. Like many have mentioned, it's really just a toy and doesn't offer much beyond what you would expect at that price point.

With that being said, i'm looking for suggestions on a simulator. I'm looking for the following.

- Something that offers seamless right/left handed play (pretty sure this eliminates SkyTrak, ES16, GC2)
    - Accurately reads all clubs (including putting/chipping, which correct me if i'm wrong eliminates TrackMan and Flightscope products)
    - No manual club selection when switching between clubs
    - No club tape
    - Very little delay from swing to on screen data/display (another deal breaker for the SkyTrak)

I'd prefer ball data over club data. Obviously both is nice, but am I wrong in assuming ball trackers will be more realistic to actual contact than club trackers with ball data being calculated? So I guess, accuracy is most important for me. Any club data (speed/path/face angle etc) is really just a bonus.

I think with all of these requirements, that limits me to only a few options being ProTee, GSA and a few others.

Anyone have a similar set up or used both and have thoughts? I also stumbled across this which appears to be just an updated ST-1 system...
    http://customdesigngolf.com/divotact...simulator.html

There's really no information on that system that I could find. My biggest gripe with that particular system is that it's limited to just E6 software. From everything I've read it appears there's a much larger user base for TGC and with TGC2 potentially coming soon... i'd like something that wouldn't be locked into one sim software provider.

I'm pretty handy and don't mind tinkering a bit to make the right set up work.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

-James
    Last edited by JRachner; 04-07-2017, 06:41 PM.

Originally posted by JRachner View Post
    Hi all! I have been lurking on here for quite while before actually registering. Have been doing tons of reading and research. I purchased an OptiShot months ago just to get some swings in. Like many have mentioned, it's really just a toy and doesn't offer much beyond what you would expect at that price point.

With that being said, i'm looking for suggestions on a simulator. I'm looking for the following.

- Something that offers seamless right/left handed play (pretty sure this eliminates SkyTrak, ES16, GC2)
    - Accurately reads all clubs (including putting/chipping, which correct me if i'm wrong eliminates TrackMan and Flightscope products)
    - No manual club selection when switching between clubs
    - No club tape
    - Very little delay from swing to on screen data/display (another deal breaker for the SkyTrak)

I'd prefer ball data over club data. Obviously both is nice, but am I wrong in assuming ball trackers will be more realistic to actual contact than club trackers with ball data being calculated? So I guess, accuracy is most important for me. Any club data (speed/path/face angle etc) is really just a bonus.

I think with all of these requirements, that limits me to only a few options being ProTee, GSA and a few others.

Anyone have a similar set up or used both and have thoughts? I also stumbled across this which appears to be just an updated ST-1 system...
    http://customdesigngolf.com/divotact...simulator.html

There's really no information on that system that I could find. My biggest gripe with that particular system is that it's limited to just E6 software. From everything I've read it appears there's a much larger user base for TGC and with TGC2 potentially coming soon... i'd like something that wouldn't be locked into one sim software provider.

I'm pretty handy and don't mind tinkering a bit to make the right set up work.

Thanks for any help or thoughts.

-James
    You might want to look at www.fullswinggolf.com

Comment

• Bnorman58
      Bnorman58 commented
      Editing a comment
      Full Swing golf? I think those are a boat load of money.

• Bnorman58
      Bnorman58 commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I do not believe you can the TGC on it.

If you're handy and dont mind a little setup, you cant go wrong with a ProTee. Keither seems to like his GSA also. If I can set up a ProTee, you will have no trouble, its not as difficult as some make it out to be. It has been solid and it is amazing as far as capturing ball physics accurately. I think it also comes very close on spin, though its calculated rather than measured. A lot of people make a big deal out of that but it is in line with my real game. That said, there is one thing as far as what you mention above. It is perfect at reading putts but chips and pitches.... It is very good but requires a few settings in the interface specific to pitching. This requires selecting wedges in the game. It is not as much a pain as I thought it would me. In fact, it automatically selects that 90%. All other clubs do not matter if you select them.

Comment

• aja
      aja commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi! Do you mind pointing me to the tweaks for chipping in ProTee? It's been quite a pain lately.

• Bnorman58
      Bnorman58 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, a few things. In the interface having the distances for each mode and the settings file for club speed factor and spin factor. I can send you what I have those set for when I get home. I think there are some things on here too in some protee threads.

Sounds like to me you would be a match for a ProTee. I like tinkering and tweaking my setup so, I don't think it was that hard to get it setup and running. The main thing that you didn't mention was if you were looking for a permanent setup or something that has to move around. If you are able to install a permanent setup, then ProTee is your answer.

Comment

Originally posted by rrobinson View Post

You might want to look at www.fullswinggolf.com
      I've looked into fullswing, trugolf and others. I don't necessarily need something that's all inclusive. I can build my own enclosure, screen, projector, computer and stance mat. So dropping $20k+ on something where I really only want the hardware doesn't quite make sense for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gene438 View Post
        The main thing that you didn't mention was if you were looking for a permanent setup or something that has to move around. If you are able to install a permanent setup, then ProTee is your answer.
        Thanks for the feedback. Yes, looking for something permanent. Initially will be a garage build, but will move it only one time when I have a dedicated addition built for it.

Comment

Depending on your space, TM would provide what you are looking for and so would High Def Golf and Aboutgolf.

TM4 does do putting now and I had thought they had this working pretty good now. My TM3 also does putting with an add on from Truegolf. With TM you can use e6 and JNPG.

Comment

Boy, you guys sure want to spend this guys money. You will be more than happy with a protee at a FRACTION of that price.

Comment

GSA or ProTee offer what you are looking for at a great price. GSA has a better putting system and ProTee has amazing service. Both systems offer a very accurate simulation experience.

I have a GSA and can chip as short as 2-3 yards. I can putt as short as 3 feet. Putting direction is accurate within 1/10 of a degree. Ball flight is also measured down to a fraction of a degree. GSA and ProTee are more work to set up..... but once done...... you're done. No alignment issues.

Comment

Completely agree with everyone. Can't go wrong with Protee. It's a great system. GSA would also be good.

Comment

Originally posted by keither5150 View Post
                  GSA or ProTee offer what you are looking for at a great price. GSA has a better putting system and ProTee has amazing service. Both systems offer a very accurate simulation experience.

I have a GSA and can chip as short as 2-3 yards. I can putt as short as 3 feet. Putting direction is accurate within 1/10 of a degree. Ball flight is also measured down to a fraction of a degree. GSA and ProTee are more work to set up..... but once done...... you're done. No alignment issues.
                  So with the h can and v cam with GSA, that's essentially what measures ball direction, speed and launch angle? The mat is what measures swing path, face angle and club head speed?

Is is there a way to measure all the club data without a mat with GSA?

Im not totally opposed to using a mat to gather that data, but my OCD would prefer one hitting surface or more flexibility for the initial ball placement.

Comment

You are correct, cameras measure ball direction ,LA , speed. Mat measures club face angle, club path, club speed.

GSA is working on a camera system for club data. I am not sure if it is ready for the market yet. Even with the camera system, the ball has to be hit from the same spot as I don't believe that the FOV is very big. You could probably find some images of this on GSA's site. I have found that the Fiberbuilt mats are incredibly durable. They are also easy to change out once you do wear them out. I have played over 400 rounds on my mat and probably have 2 to 3 times the practice time on it compared to playing. My mat is still looking and playing well.

I also had the same concerns about hitting from the same spot every time. Before Xmas I had a CX2 system ( no mat ) and the hitting area was quite a bit larger. I had some ideas for GSA to make the hitting area larger with the mat.... but I soon got used to the mat and told them to ..... nevermind.. I don't even think twice about now. With a camera system, you will want to hit from as close to center as possible for the best results.

Comment

Just to add for the OP, you break it down to two things. Floor sensor system or something a lot of money. Trugolf, Protee or GSX all have sensors and cost between 5-12k. Trackman, full swing or HD do not rely on floor sensors but are 35-50k.
                      My Courses:
                      World Par 3's by mthunt
                      Toronto GC (L) mthunt
                      Burlington G&CC by mthunt
                      Weston G&CC by mthunt
                      London Hunt Club L mthunt
                      Park CC Lidar mthunt
                      Sunningdale GC Robinson L
                      Sunningdale GC Thompson L
                      Muirfield Village (liDAR) First Ever Lidar course
                      Country Club of Castle Pines (liDAR)
                      The Sanctuary GC ProTee L
                      The National GC L mthunt
                      Mississaugua GC L mthunt
                      Shaughnessy G&CC L mthunt
                      Markland Woods CC mthunt
                      Hidden Lake Old L mthunt
                      Magna GC L mthunt
                      Barrie CC L mthunt
                      mthunt Range

Comment

With that narrow of a field, no aversion to doing some diy, and an initial garage install... Your best choice would be Protee.

Comment

You may want to manually switch clubs as it will keep your club data stats accurate on TGC. It is not needed but it's nice to see your data for a specific club.

Comment

Working...
                          X