• NEW: TGC for R-Motion Golf

Click image for larger version

Name:	rmotion.jpg
Views:	7070
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	88489

Full article : http://golfsimulatorforum.com/articl...ion-innovation

Product Info : http://www.rmotiongolf.com/

I am interested in this but would like to see extra clips available first. I can't find anything about them being available or the associated cost.

Comment

Yes, it's all very vague, at the PGA show they spent 10 minutes on a golf mat, but when they came to r motion stall they glimpsed over it, no in depth showing of what this thing does. I wouldn't hold your breath. You can come to conclusions on a lack of evidence. Even the title thing doesn't seem to be going nowhere .

Comment

Rep from Rapsodo said a 10 pack of clips costs $89. You can upgrade to the full TGC sim with online play for $500.

That being said, I have found no user reviews anywhere (beta testing reviews????) and there is not even an option to purchase one on the Rapsodo website. Maybe you have to contact them first but it seemed strange.

I do want one one of these though.

Comment

I have a question for ProTee:

If I get the R-Motion and upgrade to the full TGC SIM, will/can that software transfer if I upgrade to a SkyTrak? It would suck to pay $500 now and then upgrade to a launch monitor and have to pay another large amount for the same software. Thanks.

Comment

• goatbarn
            goatbarn commented
            Editing a comment
            Skytrack integration with TGC can only be bought through Skygolf, so no, can't tranfer. Also they are different prices, so I don't see how that'd be "fair" to non-R Motion users.

Just to follow up because I was confused and maybe someone else is, the website to purchase R-Motion right now is http://preorder.rmotiongolf.com/

It is still in pre order status with projected shipping to be at the end of February.

Comment

Yes that is the site to order Rmotion.

Comment

Does anyone know if this works with almost golf balls

Comment

HeMan it works without any golf balls - it's tracking the club only.

Comment

• HeMan
                  HeMan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You definitely need a ball as it doesn't register practice swings and knows when impact occurs. I'm just wondering if an almost golf ball is enough of an impact.

It doesn't say on the site but it needs to know when the hit occurs. I expect it needs a ball.

Good question if almost balls would be enough. Based on its intended market one would think so.

Comment

Yes it does need a ball. It will calculate after the hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  GC2 Eastern Time Zone, USA

Comment

Is the need for a ball confirmed by Rapsodo or Protee?? I know that the one on kickstarter comes with an end-weighted "swing-stick" that you can use. You can also mount to your clubs. The skypro does seem to need some impact, and has a mode to work with almost balls. IIRC, the zepp will record without balls. I suppose it would make sense that if you want to understand angle of attack, you would need to feel the impact to know where in the swing the contact occurred.

Comment

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FaultyClubs I was agreeing, that it is better to know the path at impact. Also, from sampling standpoint... understanding the path is relatively easy compared to the face angle.

Just doing what engineers do - making conversation about how they solved the problem, and wondering how we could do it differently or better.

You know..... the optimist says the glass is half-full, the pessimist says half-empty, and the engineer says it's a faulty design.

I wish I could find the reference that one of the swing analyzer manuals makes as to why they don't offer the metric of face angle at impact. I always assumed that it was a challenge for the reasons mentioned - if Rapsodo has cleared what seemed to be a hurdle in getting the answer, that's exciting. (to me at least) If they want to elaborate on the sampling frequency and accuracy, that would be fun too. I'd also like to know if attack angle is figured into the ball flight model.

• FaultyClubs
                      FaultyClubs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "..... I've read somewhere that the face closer rate can be as high as 5-6,000 degrees per second at impact and I believe the two devices that I have sample at a rate of 3,600 per second...."

An ITG-3701 gyro will measure up to 4000 degrees per second. That's measure, not sample. The gyro data is sampled up to 32khz (settable).

Your stated 5k-6k closure rate seems high to me. It would be interesting to confirm actual face closure rates. I'm thinking 4k should be enough but time will tell.

If you have more info on what the actual problem is that would be interesting.

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      FaultyClubs Okay - maybe 5-6k deg/sec is big (I can't find the thread where I saw that) I did finally find this - from one of the other GSA units.

Why is Face Angle @ Impact not a checkpoint ....?

The reason it's not represented by a number in the app is because we're not yet comfortable reporting it. The problem we have (which is common to all devices that use our type of sensors) is identifying the precise time of impact. We’ve recorded club face’s closing at over 2000°/s near the ball. At this speed, a tiny 1 ms error in impact time will result in a 2° error in face angle - enough to significantly alter the ball flight. This is why a high sample rate matters so much. We read our sensors at a maximum of 3200 samples per second: overkill for most of the swing, but crucial for resolving impact time accurately. If the ball was always hit cleanly off a tee we'd be in the clear, but fat shots can skew the results. We do correct for fat shots already, but want to be absolutely sure our numbers are accurate in the vast majority of situations before releasing them.

We've been working with some high speed cameras and other test equipment that will better identify actual ball impact, and it's looking promising so far. So, to summarize: we will continue to work towards a Face Angle @ Impact number you can trust.
                      Last edited by awisnia; 02-22-2017, 03:21 AM.

It is confirmed. You need to hit a ball

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    GC2 Eastern Time Zone, USA

Comment

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Got it. Should have read the whole thread more carefully - my bad.
                      Last edited by awisnia; 02-20-2017, 03:45 PM.

You definitely need to hit a ball. It works great.

Comment

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bubba22 But, is it automatic for each swing? Or, is there some procedure you have to do to each club to get the clip in a known position? Just knowing that some guys set up with way open or closed faces, but come through the ball with desired face-to-path.

• Bubba22
                      Bubba22 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Each club needs to be set square. All measurements are relative to initial starting position.

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Bubba22 got it - thanks. Really would be easier similar to the one that clips to your glove.

Rapsodo Any chance that this will ever be ported to work with the Xbox version of TGC? I have the kids XBox HDMI output split to the projector in my sim bay. It would be so cool if the R-Motion could BT pair with the xBox and control TGC on that platform. I could tell the kids to stay away from my Sim pc and my skytrak if I'm not around. Short of that, it sounds like I'd need a THIRD verion of TCG running in addition to the Xbox and Sim PC to use the r-motion for sim - right?

Comment

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rapsodo might be a good hack project for my son! Are you the baseball guy too? Getting any spring training invites?

• Rapsodo
                      Rapsodo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      awisnia yes we are the Baseball guys too. You son can train like a pro on a Rapsodo Baseball launch monitor.

• awisnia
                      awisnia commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Rapsodo - It's almost like you're three people in one

Rapsodo, Has the battery life of the sensor been tested? How long does it take before the battery life goes down from the 4 hours advertised. I imagine burning the battery down to 0 and then recharging takes some type of toll on it. Also, was it tested to determine how long/how many swings it took before the sensor degraded in reading the swing as it should?

Is there a plan or option to just replace the sensor? Thanks.
                    Last edited by HeMan; 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

• Rapsodo
                      Rapsodo commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yes the battery life has been tested extensively. 4 hours is a guidance and it bears certain assumptions such as number of hits you take. Depending on how many shots you take and how often, the duration may be longer and shorter. Our objective is to have a nice round of golf without having to recharge while keeping the unit small and lightweight.

We currently do not offer sensor as a standalone unit, however as things evolve, we do not overrule this possibility.
                  Working...
                  X