Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"On Green" only tournaments, anyone interested?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "On Green" only tournaments, anyone interested?

Just curious if anyone else would like to see "On Green" only tournaments started? Essentially on the green anywhere is an auto 2 putt, inside 6' is a 1 putt.
    I do enjoy playing in the current tournaments with "Gimme" but in my opinion the putting really takes away from it. I have both TGC and JNPG, putting on both in all honesty stinks.
    Hitting shots to a target I like, putting to a screen, not so much.
    Anyone else have the same thoughts?

I just started playing TGC today so my insight may not hold water, but I would agree that putting is not easy at all. I know what a 10' putt feels like IRL. It is hard to feel the green below your feet in any sim play and see grain, breaks etc. I have not played in a tournament, but after playing with it today I can see how the score really adds up when you are putting so bad. I will stay tuned to see if this becomes an option in tournament play.

Comment

Sorry, a non-starter for me. Six foot gimmes are plenty generous and compensate for the vagaries of sim putting.

Comment

Would hasten the round big time. Putting will come around as you get used to it, though. I'm a bit worried to get out and play when it warms up and see if putting on TGC has helped or hurt IRL.

Comment

Before I played TGC I played FR1 courses with the putting set to manual input and we putted on my outside green and used a tape measure and someone else would pick the spot to putt from and we manually entered the putts. I liked doing that but it took a little longer but was way more fun. But haven't done that since I have been using the TGC, but putting on the sim is not that great but it's the same for everyone

Comment

Putting is great once you get used to it.. Except if you use skytrak and the ball randomly goes 3 degrees right for no reason lol... I can instantly hit a putt now and know if I got the distance right in the sim room...

Comment

Nope, I don't hit enough greens

Comment

Nope. And that would get boring real fast. Everyone would just aim for the middle of the green. Personally i suck at putting, especially on the sim. Had a friend over who is a good putter in real life and it took him about 5 holes to become a good putter in TGC. So i'm hoping to improve :-)

Comment

Hard No! Putting is pretty damn good on TGC. Once you get used to reading the greens. The ball acts very much like real life putting. Everyone who plays on my sim comments on how great the putting is on TGC.

Comment

No thanks. I agree with keither5150 - once you get used to putting it's actually good in TGG (except on those video game courses you have been picking, Keith... :-) )

Comment

• keither5150
                      keither5150 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I agree that the last two had tough greens. There were no other alternatives that were accurate. Sometimes they make a Protee version. However sometimes that version only is a little shorter with no other changes. A good ProTee version will consist of a playable length (6700 or less), slightly wider fairways, less undulation on the greens, and sometimes larger greens. At times we pick a course because we played it last year and know that it is accurate. New courses come up all the time. If a better course is available, please bring it to our attention. If we have enough time, we will test it and make the change if it makes sense. The scores were high this week, that's for sure.

I play for fun. Stopped putting months ago. Don't miss it.

Serendipitously can now favorite many good courses otherwise marred by silly greens.

I doubt it'll fly for tournaments. But who knows? Can anyone make a weekly tournament? If so try it and see what happens!

Comment

I second the I don't hit enough greens comment. Speed in TGC was easier for me to get down than I expected. It's a feel thing. It's becoming apparent that putting with a SkyTrak is not perfect, but I find that it's manageable. I miss putts that I should make and make putts that I probably shouldn't. Just like IRL. 6 foot gimmies is good enough for me.

Comment

I still have yet to crack this mystery. Getting decent at lagging it to 6' most of the time though.
                        Originally posted by keither5150 View Post
                        Once you get used to reading the greens. .

Comment

It does take a lot of practice, that's for sure. My accuracy increased once I started practicing my putting. I would go to Range 2 ProTee SFR. He has a big mostly flat green to the right of the tee.
                          I would first putt 10,15,20 and so on.... all the way up to 65 feet and then I would go back down to 10. If I miss a distance by a lot, I would do it a few times more. It doesn't take too long if you have a big pile of balls beside you. Once you get your distance control more accurate. You can really appreciate how great putting is on TGC. On uphill or downhill shots, you really have to look at where the elevation change is....just like RL..... Same goes with reading the break....putt too hard and you run it past the break just like IRL. I am getting close to 400 rounds played on TGC, hopefully I have learned how to putt by now. I think that my best round is 64. I was sinking more than a few 10-18 footers to score like that. Vincent Vega, I believe, has the lowest score on any tournament round. He has a Skytrak. So he proves that it can be done.

Comment

No go for me as well. As someone said that would get REALLY boring REALLY fast. Sim putting has been a HUGE help for me IRL. I used to be a feel putter. See it . . . feel how far it was . . . and hit it. Now I walk off my putts IRL to get exact distances, because I have built into my muscle memory what putt it takes to get to those numbers. And then just make slight adjustments for stimp speed. Personally, I like putting in JNPG better, but TGC is pretty close. And I LOVE putting, so I wouldn't want to see it go away.

Now granted that and chipping is the hardest thing to get used to because that is what most people "feel" to execute, but once you get used to it it just a matter of repetition. I don't like the pull/push putts you get with SkyTrak, but I deal with it :-).

Comment

Working...
                            X