Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Andyman33 winning the TGC 2017 Summer Tour - The Open Championship !

Join this weeks TGC 2017 Summer Tour - The Canadian Open with 2 rounds at Glen Abbey GC (White Tees) by BoomBoom : http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...-canadian-open
See more
See less

Settings, let's talk about TGC Quality Settings!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope someone makes this a sticky. Very informative and very helpful - thank you.
    I'll try following some of this at the weekend and see if I can optimise my settings.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

I have a monster PC (Skylake, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti). Going to try and see how far I can go with it.

Comment

Cleaning up my files and thought I'd post some pictures showing typical differences between Object Detail 1 and 3.

Below is Sawgrass hole #17. The first image is using OD1 and the second OD3 (everything else is on max).

OD1
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotated_Sawgrass17_TreeMax_OD1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	81327

OD3

Name:	Annotated_Sawgrass17_TreeMax_OD3.jpg
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	81328

The images are while standing on the tee. I've highlighted areas of typical differences.

With OD1 the building has less stuff on it (objects such as windows trim etc), the planted bushes to the left of the green are missing shadows, and various markers are missing.

Another example would be the planted grass in TPC Boston hole #3. The first image is OD1 and the second is OD3.

OD1

Name:	Boston3Flyby_TreeMax_OD1.JPG
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	81329

OD3

Name:	Boston3Flyby_TreeMax_OD3.JPG
Size:	153.1 KB
ID:	81330

Note that as one moves closer the extra detail seen in OD3 becomes visible even in OD1. This means everyone gets a great picture as they get closer but it also creates the "popping in" side-effect I discussed in the original posts.
        Last edited by FaultyClubs; 10-17-2016, 12:11 AM. Reason: EDIT: I uploaded these at "fullsize" of 1920 but they seem to have been reduced. Oh well, hopefully you can still see the differences.

Comment

A quick note on stuttering.

There are many possible causes for stuttering. It may be inherent in the game design itself, inherent in the graphics hardware, buggy drivers, overly ambitious user settings, too many or poorly behaved background processes/services, vsync (on or off) side-effects, and even Windows itself since it isn't a realtime operating system. Some you can affect, others you cannot. But if you experience stuttering with otherwise good frame rates it is worth checking these factors.

At the very least, make sure you have the latest graphics drivers and avoid changing default settings without a thorough understanding of their impact.

And check that programs being loaded at startup aren't the culprit. Nowadays it seems every program wants to insert itself into your Windows experience. Occasionally Windows becomes confused and tries to load the same program twice. Virus scanners, Windows updates, MS office, Shadowplay etc...all part of your "rich Windows experience" but not necessarily conducive to smooth play! If you are investigating the source for stuttering it is worth vetting all additional programs.

Also understand the FPS you see with FRAPS, Shadowplay, Steam etc is a heavily averaged number. So if you've been adjusting your quality settings based on a minimum frame rate it may actually be temporarily dropping to a much lower number. If you suspect this is the case then reduce quality settings for a higher overall frame rate and see if that helps. Checking the actual frame times for each frame is always good practice if you know how.

Comment

Well done FC! It is also worth mentioning that certain courses are harder on the GPU than others. When you find one of these courses, dial back the trees a bit to keep your FPS up close to 60.

Comment

Wow.. great thread.. thanks for the info...

Comment

Bump & thanks

Comment

Great post. Maybe I'm missing the very obvious, but where in TGC are these settings. Looked last night, and couldn't find them anywhere. I'm sure it's obvious once you find them, but I didn't see them in any of the option menus....

Comment

Settings, display for settings or low, med, high at startup.

Comment

Originally posted by mthunt
                      Settings, display for settings or low, med, high at startup.
                      Yeah. Found the low, med, high at startup. Couldn't find the tree count, water, object detail, vsync, etc. Will look again next time I'm over there.

Comment

• ProTee United
                        ProTee United commented
                        Editing a comment
                        SETTINGS->DISPLAY ... then SCROLL DOWN the options.

its in the options after you start up TGC and get into the game

Comment

Rrally cool faulty. I was able to make some adjustments and the game looks better. appreciate it..

Comment

Working...
                        X