Chipping (always straight)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipping (always straight)

Hi all- been away for a bit -- finally tweaked my sim- one thing I changed was heavy rough-- it was set with pro tee settings (15)--- I didn't have it at 0 for TGC.. so even with a 4 iron Id hit it about 100 yards.. made for some tough rounds...
    Anyway--- one thing I tweaked because I believe it was set at default- short chips always went straight -and even though it allowed for a lot of chip ins I didn't feel it was realistic and felt like cheating. So I went into the pro tee settings-- (ALT E) while your pro tee program is open- scroll down to chipping..
    default is chips and club angle straight.(True).... make these (=False) if you want to have your chips realistic. this takes away from the gimme hole outs but also allows you to aim right or left naturally if the green slopes.. To me it was the final tweak to make the game as real as you can get playing indoors.
    apologies if this has been posted long ago--
    see you online.

I agree, set mine to false also. Also I think I have read almost all posts and this is the first one for this issue. Why would default be true, what would be the reasoning? On one of Z's post I think he has chipping go strait true and pitching go strait false. Also when competing online seems like it would be unfair if some had it false and others had it true!

Comment

Doesn't TGC ignore "chipping" or "pitching" shot types......when I play TGC, i never pay attention to shot type......I think the program ignores it.

Comment

nope is does not ignore it if you are set to TRUE you will not hit offline always straight

Comment

...this is about the time i stopped caring about the tour. lol even playing fields

Comment

• BadEddieKit
            BadEddieKit commented
            Editing a comment
            Ya i dont think people are purposely trying to cheat, I just think one day IRL they hit a driver on a hole that was downwind and downhill and went 300 yards, so now they have their system setup to hit 300 yard drives every time they step up to the tee. 300 off the tee is a huge advantage over 250 on most courses.. Again not saying anyone is purposely doing this, but do tend to wonder IF its happening, on accident. Definately not trying to make a stand here, and agree its just for fun. .
            Last edited by BadEddieKit; 02-08-2017, 08:58 PM.

• goatbarn
            goatbarn commented
            Editing a comment
            I do somewhat agree with you Eddie. And I've had both GSA and Protee systems. I much more prefer a system with no possible "adjustments" to be made, so that I know what's measured = real. Like I said, only if enough people wanted, would we try and move to something like this. There is a huge downside though of losing camaraderie of all playing together. For what it's worth, I know there are a lot of actually much better golfers than me that play on the tour, IRL or not. I don't think people that are tweaking settings are purposefully cheating either. In a perfect world, we'd all play together, there would be separate leaderboards (or just the ability to view separately) for gross/net/sim hardware, and all tournament settings are locked by admin, including settings for alt/green speed/boost...etc. Talk about a 1st world problem though, we're very spoiled.

• mthunt
            mthunt commented
            Editing a comment
            You can kind of tell if someone is cheating but it's a lot of work. If someone is getting 110 ball speed with an 8 iron and 175 with a driver they are likely using boost on the driver. Things like that tell but there is way way too many ways to cheat. Unfortunately if people want to cheat they can.

Not sure on sky trac and GC2 but on the ProTee, it most certainly does ignore TGC game shot type. The determining factor is what you set in your interface for chipping and pitching distance. The alt e settings must both be false in the settings file.

Comment

I will qualify that with putting it does matter.

Comment

Yeah GC2 same way, as I think all Sims attached to the sim version of TGC work.

Talking about the in-game chip/flop/punch shots types...those are all ignored for all of us.

Settings for those will behave as set up in settings files for systems like GSA and Protee sensor sims.

That's my understanding.

Comment

• goatbarn
                goatbarn commented
                Editing a comment
                Obviously for systems that measure spin directly, there is no need for settings for chipping or pitching...etc.

I guess I've had some opposite results in that I might aim in one spot and hit what I think to be a strait ship, and the ball come out in a quasi-shank...again I'll default to it being a user error that the computer but this should be addressed if it's scewing the results.

Comment

Different sims will have different levels of accuracy. Anyone in their right mind will adjust their ProTee or GSA to more closely match their real life game. I live at a high altitude and we did have a discussion last year on whether it was acceptable for me to match my real life distance at 3500 feet. It was decided that it was... However, I felt that I should not have a distance advantage while playing on the tour. So my woods and driver are set to match Golftown's GC2. My irons and hybrids, I would like to hit them as far as I do here.... so that's how they are set up. My longest drive IRL last year was 339 with no wind and no elevated tee. I can't do that on TGC..... or when I golf in Mexico. At sea level, I will have a few that roll past 300 and a few more that don't. At sea level, I usually take an extra club with my irons.

Launch monitors have their flaws as well. Their accuracy when it comes to direction does not match that of a GSA or a ProTee camera system. My system rounds off direction to the nearest 1/10 of a degree whereas most LM will round off to the nearest degree. So my putt will be 1/2 degree offline and be a big miss over 50 feet while a LM may be a lot closer. 0.48 and 0.51 will have little or no impact with GSA putting but with a LM, it is a whole degree difference. So you see that there are pros and cons to each system. Any forgiveness settings should be off and we all should be trying to duplicate our real life game. Each system will have it's own strengths and weaknesses. I love the GC2 at Golftown and have made many a trip there to verify that I have my system set up correctly. LM's are not perfect either. I have watched videos on YouTube where the LM has reported around 3200rpm on a wedge from just over 100 yards.... this shot had 35 degrees LA..... no f...n way that a wedge at 35 LA will only have 3200 rpm.... Long story short... the ball landed and ran through the green like a 3 wood from 250.

With a GSA system, it would be tough to lock down settings for all GSA users. Each enclosure is different. GSA's default scale is 1 pixel = 0.2860.. I have mine at 0.2680 Another user may need it at 0.3170. Users need to set it up to match their RL game. If you locked in the settings at GSA's default.... my 9 iron would be carrying about 15 yards further than it really does and maybe another player may be 10 yards short. As ProTee has stated, Golf is a game of honesty and integrity. I believe that the vast majority of players are playing honestly.

With many different sims in play on the same tour, the playing field is only equal if players set up their sims to match their real life game.

Comment

Anyone able to cash in any of their TGC tour winnings yet? No, then who the he!! cares. Be glad you can golf in your own home anytime you want. You know how you're playing and whether you're playing better or worse than last tournament.

Comment

• keither5150
                    keither5150 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My first round.... worse than last tournament. I had to declare a unplayable. We need the option to rehit from the tee...... Hey wait a minute..... we can't cash out? We have had winners from all sims, so I don't see a need to separate anyone. A sim is a tool to improve your game....and have fun. Hopefully we all can do both.

• wbond
                    wbond commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Man i wish we could cash out. Maybe then i'd be at a point where the only thing i would be concerned with is someone cheating on sim golf somewhere around the world.

• Thinman
                    Thinman commented
                    Editing a comment
                    i could be mistaken, but i hear there is actually more to competition then simply monetary satisfaction. Some...I hear...actually enjoy the aspect of comparing their game results to others playing the same game...under the same conditions.

Well put Keither. I will just restate my point, if it were hardware, you would see more winners of one type hardware on here. That's simply not the case. In fact, it's the reverse. Also, "adjustments" can be made with the "big 2" spin measuring devices as well and I know people can apply boost on those too. I know I dont and I know I dont apply the "altitude factor". That said, when I have to hit a flop over a bunker that I know my system will likely not pick up, I am forced to hit a normal pitch and hope it stays on the green. When I would love to hit a low checker in some situations, not an option with ProTee. I have just learned how to hit stock pitches as well as I can. Believe me though, my ProTee system that I have had to make a few "adjustments" to keep me from hitting 150 yard sand wedges does not give me an advantage. Maybe I am making too big of a deal but I totally do not understand why anyone would push for a hardware separated tour.

Comment

• Bnorman58
                    Bnorman58 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    BTW, the adjustments I made were from ProTee support in a response to a case I opened quite some time ago and they also can work against me as well as they can help me. As far as this chipping and pitching always straight setting, that should stick out like a sore thumb in shot recording. Boost on ANY of the devices wouldnt.

Bnorman58 Our two systems are similar. Perhaps I can PM you with some things that I did with camera placement and lighting to pick up short flops..... I can flop it 3 or 4 yards.... PX5 is hcam,vcam and sensor mat. Your mat is made by Fiberbuilt so you should be able to do it just like me.
                  Last edited by keither5150; 02-09-2017, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Well that was the point being made. Some Adjusting for elevation and others not, is comparing apples and oranges. I dont blame ya for replicating your game, I would too, but when competing against others and you get a yardage advantage on each shot, thats where the issue lies. The fix i guess needs to be in tgc, with an elevaton adjustment per course and per user. I really havent gotten into the tour anyhow so I really don't have a dog in this fight, but I do understand both sides of the coin here tho. I think its these types of conversations that will help the sim world advance and keep getting better!

Comment

• mthunt
                      mthunt commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Not to mention, when a pga tour player from Denver plays in LA, he doesn't say, "hey, I should play a more forward tee to match my carry at home".

Yep but there was also a side point that the tour should be broken into groups by hardware. My point is cheating is hardware independent. What would be the point of doing that, we are a group of simulator enthusiasts, not a bunch of groups of gc2 guys, sky trac guys etc...

Comment

Working...
                    X