Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much do you club up or down based on elevation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you club up or down based on elevation?

Being fairly new to really taking the game seriously, I'm wondering when you decide to club up or down based on elevation on par 3's. In real life of course you can see the elevation but have no idea what the number actually is...

say I hit my 7 iron 149 on average and the hole says 149 with a -9 elevation, would you go down to an 8 or swing an easier 7? Same for holes that say +10, would you go up to a 6 or power a 7 on to the green? Is there a rule of thumb on TGC as far as specific elevation numbers when to club up or down? Say + - 10 or so?

My general approach...consider each foot of elevation change equal to a yard. So, if you have 149 yards in and the elevation change is -9ft...play it how you would a 140 yard flat shot. If it's 149 yards and +10 elevation...play like it's 159 yards. It may not be bang on but it works reasonably well.

Comment

Sorry - I screwed that up. Divide the elevation change by 3. So, 149 yards in with -9ft elevation change...play it like a 146 yard flat shot. 149 yards in with +30ft elevation change...play it like a 159 yard flay shot.

Comment

Originally posted by rdh View Post
        Sorry - I screwed that up. Divide the elevation change by 3. So, 149 yards in with -9ft elevation change...play it like a 146 yard flat shot. 149 yards in with +30ft elevation change...play it like a 159 yard flay shot.
        Ok cool I'll give that a shot...I ask because I played the world tour par 3 challenge and one hole was like 193 but it had a -63 elevation lol...nor,ally I would probably hit a 4 or 3 hybrid depending on the size of the green but I tried a 7 iron and came up short then a 6 and was just about right. I usually hit my 6 around 160 average and 165-170 if I really get into one...

Comment

Based on my rough formula you'd play that as a 171 yard shot...but sounds like the 6 iron worked and that's further than you normally hit it. My approach isn't an exact science but it works for me. Did you have wind disabled or might that have been a factor as well?

Comment

• Jwheels9876
            Jwheels9876 commented
            Editing a comment
            Wind was disabled...had everything on tour settings except I tried putting out with no gimmie...looking at my recorded shots I hit 4 7 irons and 4 6 irons and I remember I came up well short on all the 7's and with the 6's I remember pushing one and one landing on the green but don't recall the other 2... Your calculations seems just about right though...

1 to 1 works if your angle of decent is 45 degrees - its simple trig when you have your averages.. its different for everyone.. you have to find out what works for you.. there will also be variations when you hit the ball high or low

Comment

Yes club up.. i play it like I'd play a real course...

Comment

Or club down on a down hill etc...

Comment

Working...
              X