Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Genghis winning the TGC 2017 Summer Tour - The John Deer Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2017 Summer Tour - The Open Championship with 3 rounds at Royal Birkdale 2016 (Saturday Clear) : http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...n-championship
See more
See less

How to align Skytrak.... hitting off centre, and with different sim software

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to align Skytrak.... hitting off centre, and with different sim software

I can see I am not the only person to experience alignment issues with Skytrak, but I can't find a definitive answer on how to do this.... hitting from centre, offset... and whether different with other sim software such as WGT and TGC.

1) When hitting from the centre, I have been assuming that my box should align the same distance to the right of the target line in parallel to the target line to red dot. (Red dot being in centre). However when I hit, the ball always goes to the left ( not what happens on the range)

2) have a 10x10 cage, so when I move to hybrid or woods, this becomes more of an issue, and I am not sure if the box needs to align at an angle in towards the target line, or again straight into the screen, and parallel to the target line.... and in this case is the red dot supposed to align towards the target, or a distance to the right of target...( if righty hitting offset from right hand side of cage)

3) I have also seen somewhere in a 2015 post ( but can't find now) that rather than using alignment sticks flush to my unit, there may be 2 laser dots form skytrak I can use..if so, does anyone know how to do this... and if successful?

4) When using WGT.... it seems to get worse.... flags don't always appear in centre of screen, and in some cases the tee box seems to come from an angle.., so not sure agin if aim for centre of screen.,, or to the right of screen.... by the way, when using putting or chipping... even weirder as ball seems to be in bottom left side of screen, and pin either in middle or right..,. So where to aim then.

5) finally, I have bought TGC.... just trying to work out what pc or laptop to get. But when I eventually get running, would be good to know if any other issues I need to be aware of on alignment.

6) sorry..., 1 other question for good measure, whilst I put ball on red dot when hitting off mat, does the dot go on the base of the Tee or on the ball itself when hitting off a Tee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my Skytrak so can't help much about WGT/TGC but as far as alignment function within Skytrak... it can be found in the Skytrak app (iOS and PC). Just launch a session, like range, and go to settings. There's a toggle to turn on the alignment, which basically turns on both lasers and you can use that to align. I assume you set both laser points to be parallel with the target line.

Comment

WGT has weird angles so nothing you can do about that. See above for turning on alignment lasers. However, there was a post by sktrak that is you should just align the unit parallel to your target line. The laser dot should be at the base of the ball and at the base of the tee when using woods.

Comment

I had the same issue when I first purchased Skytrak. I solved this issue by purchasing TGC!

Comment

Thanks.... I have worked out the laser..... which looks parallel to the unit.

Now...when I am hitting from the right of centre..... do I just try and hit straight into the screen ( same distance from the centre), or do I somehow angle the unit and hitting mat towards the centre so that I aim to the middle of the screen and target line?

It would seem logical that I just hit at 90 degrees to the screen and also keep the skytrak at 90 degrees (so parallel), however I find myself drawn to the centre line... and actually look for the impact point on the screen to give me an indication as to how I am starting out the shot.

Comment

If I hit to screen where the laser alignment of the ST says is centre then my shots indicate I am left or right.
            I have a DIY laser and hit to the centre of the DIY laser. I then move the ST very slightly left or right until it shows a straight hit onto the DIY laser on the screen.
            Maybe my ST is out slightly coz' I'm using the home cut lexan screen protection over the ST protective case.

Comment

So am I right in thinking that if hitting from the right of my cage, I always have to hit at 90 degrees ( so to the right of my screen), as this is then a straight shot....

... and not angle the skytrak and hitting mat into the centre of the screen?

If I was to do the latter, then because of the angle, there would be a difference between lining up to the bottom of the target line on the screen and the Pin ( usually half way up the screen)

.... bottom line, as long as I always line hitting mat parallel to skytrak... I should be starting of straight.

Comment

You do not have to hit 90 degrees to the screen. You can hit at an angle back towards the center. However, you must be parallel to the skytrak, so that would also be angled toward the center. So you would still be hitting a straight shot. Because of the ST delay, this may not be that big of an issue. If it was a GC2 or protee, it would be kind of weird as you are hitting to the left but the ball would go straight on the screen.
                Originally posted by CBDBOZ View Post
                So am I right in thinking that if hitting from the right of my cage, I always have to hit at 90 degrees ( so to the right of my screen), as this is then a straight shot....

... and not angle the skytrak and hitting mat into the centre of the screen?

If I was to do the latter, then because of the angle, there would be a difference between lining up to the bottom of the target line on the screen and the Pin ( usually half way up the screen)

.... bottom line, as long as I always line hitting mat parallel to skytrak... I should be starting of straight.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I would have replied earlier but have been away for a bit.

I will experiment with a few options and see how it goes. I now have the FMJ for my Skytrak, so I'm hoping this will also help with the alignment.

I'm guessing that the alignment stick on the skytrak FMJ housing should be aiming slightly right of the Target point, so that if I hit parallel to this, I would align to the actual target point ( makes sense to me)

.... only 1 way to find out 😎

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
                    Dan McWhirter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Make sure SkyTrak is centered in the FMJ or you'll get really weird miss-alignments...left, then right...drove me nuts for a bit because both red lasers would show for alignment...then I noticed I was less than accurately positioned with the FMJ cut-outs.
                Working...
                X