Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newbie Newbuild : First Post Long Time Reader Need Some Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Newbuild : First Post Long Time Reader Need Some Help!

Hi Guys!

You are all freaking awesome - I have been viewing this forum for over a year and I'm finally about to pull the trigger and a garage sim room. I have a handful of questions but I don't know where to start, so I'll give you the low down and hopefully you can fill me in.

I have a 3 car garage that I'm using the single car side for a sim, that said my functional space is about 9'x9' and about 20' deep. Here's my breakdown and with a few questions:

1) SkyTrak w/ protective case & TGC

2) par2pro HQ2 or west coast netting pr20 (not sure if I want to spend the extra $$ on HQ2 for image quality - thoughts?)

3) Black Canvas Tarps for side 'curtains' and ceiling cover for wedge shots - http://www.canopiesandtarps.com/6x8-...vas-tarps.html (3)

4) CCE Golf Mat or Truestrike (I read about possible issues with skytrak and Truestrike, while CCE users report CCE can be tough on wrists - any other suggestions/comments?

5) My biggest dilemma is the projector. I'm thinking I want the projector right above my head so I don't damage it by hitting balls into a short throw that's just 4 feet from the screen. I have room behind so I can run the projector 10'+ from the impact screen. As stated at the beginning, my screen size max is 9'x9' and more likely it will be 8'x8' or 9'x8, so if im 10' back I should be using a 4:3 for that size? I'm having a really tough time figuring out the best combo here. Thoughts on ST vs regular? Thoughts on protecting the short throw? Trying to keep costs on the projector ~$700 or less

Total budget is around 5k

Thanks for everything guys I'm so stoked on this can't wait to get it up and running but I want to get this right on the first go around.

Best,

Eric

1-Go with either Armour or FMJ
    2-I would go with Supertex. Way better image than PR20 and way less money than HQ2. I've used both Supertex and PR20.
    3-Pretty much anything can work here. Depends on the look you are trying to go for and how much protection you need. I use a black mesh tarp from Harbor Freight for ceiling protection. With your size, your probably only needing protection on one side since you can't hit both L and R.
    4-Varying answers on CCE. If you go with this i would do just the hitting strip, save money and build your own. I find it very soft to stand on. You can also check out the diy gel mat. I have the CCE and went to the DIY gel mat.
    5-Yes, 4:3 with that size. You can buy a wire basket from a dollar or home store to go over the projector. Just make sure the wire gap is smaller than the ball.

This is my garage setup.
    Last edited by wbond; 02-16-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• MainStGolf
      MainStGolf commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the black material on the outside of your screen? Where did you get it? And how do you have it attached?

• wbond
      wbond commented
      Editing a comment
      It's a piece of 24" vinyl runner from home depot. I cut it into three strips and attached it to the emt with tiestraps.

• ehallin
      ehallin commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome, thanks! This information is a big help. What sized supertex is that? 120x108 or 108x96? I think I'm going to go with this assuming you haven't had any rips or tears and you have a solid swing speed? Also, do you have anything behind the Supertex? I think I'll go with the DIY since its been awhile and a lot of people have done it (everyone seems to love it). Sweet, this will save a good chunk of money. Thanks again!

I have the CCE and I really like it. I would also just suggest the hitting strip. It is not hard on my wrists but I'm a picker, so people that really swing down into the mat may think differently.

Comment

MainStGolf Here is the thread on the black border.
      Well I've had setups for a couple years now and haven't gotten around to putting up trim or ceiling protection. Being that it's in the garage, I didn't think

Comment

• MainStGolf
        MainStGolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you!!!

It's 120x108. It's backed with pr20 and then a net.

Comment

I just built mine this year as well. I went with an optoma 1080 st which i got on amazon for $580 works great. I have it ceiling mounted and my impact screen is supertex 120x108. I bought netting to put behind it and made a frame from emt conduit. I bought the fittings independently. I went with mesh tarps for side curtains as well. I used wire rope to hang it with. I didnt do any ceiling protection other than above the screen. I have a 4x5 cce mat i got on ebay. I got the "2nd" run one so it was much cheaper. I have a problem with moisture in my garage so i used dricor flooring and carpet padding on my floor. I have skytrak w/tgc and bought an armour case. Does your 5k budget exclude a pc? i would say for my sim materials im in for about a 1000 and overall im just under 7000 with a new msi laptop.

Comment

Looks solid! Nice work. I also just got the gt1080 (optoma) which I'm mounting on ceiling. I got the supertex 108x96 with straps on top and sides. Hanging PVC with protective foam and running angle iron down the sides for side straps. Using canvas tarps for side protection and likely mesh netting for ceiling protection. I'm doing the DIY golf mat and something similar to your turf for aesthetics. I'm a PC gamer so I'll be using that for Skytrak with TGC. should be up and running in about 3 weeks when netting and supertex arrive.

Comment

Working...
          X