GSA system accuracy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSA system accuracy

Hello all I am new to this forum and I need some help. I am looking for the most accurate system on the market. I currently have a trugolf custom built room that we have used for about 3 yrs. (mostly on range mode). I am building a new home and want my new golf room to be extremely accurate for my 2 sons who compete. Any help would be great. Thanks

I would recommend something that measures spin first, then make sure it measures all other ball data (ball data needs to be accurate for realistic and meaningful representation of ball flight), then I would go for accurate club data.

With that in mind, and assuming you're going to use it only indoors, I'd say (from 1st to last): GC2 (or GC4?) with HMT, Trackman, Flightscope, Skypro (no club), and then everything else.

If you're in the market for a turn key solution I'd suggest aboutGOLF or HD Golf (although I hate their static view, non-full 3d renderings of courses). These are the only 2 that I "trust" to accurately measure ball spin, although all of the "top dogs" say they measure it.

Spin is the holy grail for accuracy, just keep that in mind.

Trackman has awesome practicing software with TPS, in 2nd for software (practice mode) I'd put FSX (GC2 or GC4).

If you really want your kids to get better, faster...I'd recommend at least some videoing equipment (slow-mo face on and down-the-line, synched cameras), or better yet, something like Swinguru or Myswing, which are 2 very different option available for 3D swing analysis, which is the latest craze with golf instructors and REALLY helpful in diagnosing swing issues.

Comment

Goatbarn has some great points. If you need lefty righty friendly, go with ProTee or GSA PX5. Both measure everything but spin. Spin is calculated from club and ball data.

Comment

It's seems that you really have an appreciation for the GC2. The only experience that I have had is at a golfsmith where I have found the systems to be erratic for on 1 bay to another? Is this a calibration issue? I am plus2 handicap and I've had those screens read me hitting my driver anywhere from 245-320? All I did was s itch bays? If those calculate ball data does it give you any sort of club data as well? Part of my training with my boys helps if I know how they are coming into the ball? Thanks for all the help

Comment

The GC2 will calculate club data based on what the ball does. To get measured ball data and club data your are looking at a GC2 with HMT or the upcoming GC4. I am not sure of the price, but I think it's around 15 G's. You are right about calibration..... At my closest Golftown the bay on the right is terrible.... it had problems with low LA drives. My 7 iron was fine but the driver sucked. I usually hit on the bay in the middle. I calibrated my GSA system to match what I see at GT and on the range. When I bought my irons, I hit more than 100, 7 irons shots there.

Do you need to be lefty friendly? If so, launch monitors are a pain with the exception of trackman and Flightscope. You do need a big room for TM and FS.

GSA and ProTee require a little more set up. These two systems measure everything but spin. spin is calculated.

Comment

• Chad3157
            Chad3157 commented
            Editing a comment
            What about the cx6 system? Not much online about this company?

I have a full version of trugolf with E6 now that we practice on. My first thought was flightscope my new golf room will be 13x16 and that's cutting it close for flightscope so I'm not sure? We really don't need to be lefty friendly and the few friends I have that come by are all righties anyway. I guess I thought the GSA versions with ball cams and the over head cams that they got all the info. What do the ball cams do if they are not getting the spin?

Comment

• Bubba22
            Bubba22 commented
            Editing a comment
            Don't believe everything you read on the GSA site.

• keither5150
            keither5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            There are two different types of overhead cams, ball spin, and club data. Ball spin needs a specially marked ball. Club data cams don't need anything on the clubs but I have not seen either of these two in action. I am not aware of anyone on this forum that has more than a CX2. Wigalo has a CX4 system but can't seem to get it all working together..... I won't be buying a ball spin camera because of the marked ball requirement. As for club data.... I will be buying the proven PX2 mat.

What does that mean? Did you have a bad experience?

Comment

Do a search on Martin and GSA. There is plenty of reading out there. The PX5 system and his camera systems are good. I am not sure he has ever perfected his spin cam or club cam at that matter but maybe keither can fill us in as he is our resident expert on GSA. I am not saying not to buy as he has good stuff. Martin just tends to experiment a lot and post items that are not ready and may never be ready.

Comment

I have been ready to buy since Christmas last year. I have the CX2 system which is great for the money but no spin or club data. That data is calculated by the control panel. How well does it do that..... I would say very well once you have your setup to match your RL game. The problem is when you get multiple players.... If I hit relative straight buy my buddy hits nothing but draws..... you really can't set it up to match both player's game. There is a slider that allows adjustment draws vs pulls. What you need with my system to make it more accurate, is the sensor mat. Add club speed, face angle, club path to Launch angle and ball speed and direction and you have an easier time calculating spin. This system can tell the difference between a draw and a pull. I have made up my mind that I am buying a sensor mat for my system once Martin has one ready to ship.. He knows that I will buy it today. I will be buying the PX2 mat once available even though my 2 buddies say that it's a waste of money since I have my system duplicating my game very well. So well that when I get fatigued, I start pull to the right just like IRL.

If you ask me if I am happy with my system, the answer is yes. Lefty righty friendly. But the best thing about GSA is the putting. It uses Vcam only.... by having a different setup for putting than all other shots. It allows for a slower exposure which means super accurate ball data for putting. I also don't have to putt on a hitting mat or over a sensor. I found some outdoor carpet that is pretty close to a medium speed green. It measure to the 1/100 of a degree and 1/100 of a mph. TGC rounds them off to the 1/10 which is fine. When testing on a flat green, if I put 5 feet in the game it goes 5 feet in the basement. I could make it more accurate if TGC went to 1/10 of a foot. Putting direction is very accurate .... within a 1/10 of a degree. Speed control for putting almost has infinite settings. Like ProTee , GSA CX2 has multiple settings to help you match your real life game. Too many things to get into when talking about settings. IMO GSA's putting is a little better than the rest. It's more accurate than the launch monitors when it comes to direction. And you don't have to putt off your hitting mat or over a sensor.

I can't speak for the ball cameras or Club cameras as I have never seen one in action. I have heard nothing but good things about the PX5 system.

What Martin should do is send me a CTS and I would help work out the kinks. Once satisfied with it, I would either pay for it or send it back..... GSA needs help from guys like me who are willing to help develop new products.

Having to buy specially marked balls for ball spin data is a deal breaker for me. Sensor mat or CTS is all I would consider added to my CX2 system.

Comment

• Chad3157
                Chad3157 commented
                Editing a comment
                What about GSA vs protee? I am thinking the sensor mat and camera combo then having a small flightscope unit completely sep to cross reference the data. Which GSA is comparable to protee? Any thoughts on which one is better?

• keither5150
                keither5150 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a sensor mat on order. The PX5 system is very comparable to ProTee's. I don't have any experience with ProTee's system though. Very few people will have extensive experience with both.

Oh .... and make sure you buy a custom built gaming PC. GTX 1060 or better is the main requirement. Lots of info on this site for that.

Comment

• ProTee United
                ProTee United commented
                Editing a comment
                Make sure you check with TruGolf first. The last time they transferred a license to ProTee they charged $500.

• Bubba22
                Bubba22 commented
                Editing a comment
                Personally I would suggest TGC over E6 but if your happy with E6 then stay with it.

• keither5150
                keither5150 commented
                Editing a comment
                TGC is way better than E6. E6 currently has the edge when it comes to practice features..... but TGC2 is around the corner which I believe is a free upgrade. Nothing matches TGC for gameplay and enjoyment.

Chad why are you torn. I told you to read more on GSA if you are going that route. The spin and club camera systems by GSA are not ready so you can get them but the feedback is not great. That's your CX5 or 6 system. Your Trugolf system is equivalent to the PX5. I see no advantage in you switching to PX5. If you want true spin measurement I suggest you look at a ST or GC2. Everybody wants "the most accurate system". If your happy with the results of Trugolf and it matches what you see in real life, then don't switch. Sure it estimates spin but it does a decent job. Certainly read more on GSA before you move to a CX5 or 6 system as you may not get what you bargained for.

Comment

• Chad3157
                Chad3157 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks that's what I've been worried about I have had my issues with trugolf but it has been ok.

I will go a different route because that is what I did. There are times for practice and times for play. I have a flightscope that measures all the spin you can need. The problem is that my kids who compete on junior levels, high school get tired of hitting 7 iron over and over. To get all 3 playing and getting reps in, I got a protee system. Now we can play real courses that require changing clubs and strategy to play holes. It is way, way more fun to play rounds and the kids will develop muscle memory from the repetitive play. Anytime I want I can hook up the flightscope and use it to measure any shots I want.To work on the swing corrections. We can use it concurrently if need be. The version I have is older, (kudu), and I cannot play E6 on it or use an iPad. They do not even support it anymore but it works great. I got it for $2500 on Ebay 5 years ago. You can still get them.

Also, for me, a high handicapper, Club data was more important than spin. I needed to get my swing path correct and this took a long time, Protee was great for this. For you and the better players, spin is more important.

Btw, When I run both systems concurrently, I run protee on the projector and flightscope on a laptop connected to a 50in flatscreen so everything can be seen from the hitting bay. I am fortunate enough to have over 22 feet front to back to run both.

I usually only run flightscope when trying to work on something specific, Not very often. Maybe that is why I am a high handicapper.

I am also left handed . So that is very important. There will be lefties that want to play on your sim. Having the option to do so is great.

MY 2 cents.

Comment

• keither5150
                keither5150 commented
                Editing a comment
                Lefties rule...... or will rule someday! Always plenty of stock on sale day.

you got a thumbs up Boerdoc, I agree with Boerdoc I also have a Skytrak as well as my PROTEE and I am left handed in a right handed world (sounds like a AA thing HAHA), I find enjoyment playing on my sim by myself but also with others that's why I am asking others to accept my friends requests and have asked PROTEE to write up procedures on how to utilize this multiplayer, I love my protee and it gives me tons of data, some is calculated and some is not but it gives me really good numbers, it plays the same game my shots go the same direction and my stupid hook is the same hook I have played on a trackman a ton also it also does the same thing. But how much data is to much data and does a mm really make a difference for an extra 10,000 to 15,000. Only thing is all this data honestly is great but unless you have the masters on the horizon or a robot, your a normal person like all of us and this data more time then not is insignificant especially after that first swing on a real course as the simulator world can not be replicated IRL with mother nature and changing conditions which will take all this data back to a calculated world for the real golf course. I can take my back spin tune it in on my sim lets say 850 take that same ball throw it into the grass outside and that 850 is gone guaranteed.

Comment

Working...
              X