Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @docsmilez winning the TGC 2016/2017 Winter Tour - Genesis Open!

Join this weeks TGC 2016/2017 Winter Tour - The Honda Classic with 2 rounds at the PGA National Honda Classic Sat. : http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/...-honda-classic
See more
See less

GSA new 3D ball speed calculations.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GSA new 3D ball speed calculations.

I suggest updated your control panel to the latest version 8.5.2.4 . Martin has changed the way speed is calculated for shots off center. In the past a % was added or subtracted when the ball was left or right of center. The more off center, the more speed was adjusted. This didn't take into account what different LA would do to the calculation. GSA came up with a better way of calculating ball speed. It now factors in both the LA and ball direction. They call it 3D ball speed calculation. I have tested it for a few days and feel that it is incredibly accurate for left and right speed calculation. However some adjustments had to be made.... at default settings my drives were going 220 and my 9 irons 195. The easiest way to fix this is through carry factors and ball speed decrease setting. So basically high LA shots were going too far and low LA not far enough. By setting ball speed decrease at 61% 1 degree to 60 degree.... your irons should be able to stay at about 100% (this means that a 20 degree LA will have the speed decrease by about 20% and 30 degree LA decreased by 30% ) You will have to increase the carry factor on your driver to match your real life distance. If you hit really high LA's with your wedges, you will have to reduce carry factor to well below 100% to be accurate.

I know that this may seem like a pain in the ass but I think it is worth it. Yesterday I was hitting some wedges as much as 16 degrees off center and felt that the speed and distance was very well calculated. The new update uses my carry factors by default. Yours may differ slightly. Hopefully this post saves you from the WTF moment I had when my drives were only going 210-220 and 9 irons were almost 200. Once you have your clubs set, you will never have to touch them.

Maybe in a future update they can factor this in so that carry factors will not have to be used.. Let me know if my settings work for you.... if not, what are you doing differently?

When you calculate the distances with the Hcam, the "speed decrease" setting is automatically set to "67% 1 to 60 degrees". My necessary adjustment is by setting the "Adjust speed/carry distance" setting to ca. 0,80. It is a bit of a shame to have to fiddle around with adjustments to obtain correct measures....I would have expected accuracy without necessary hassle. However and indeed once you find the right adjustment, the system gives you consistent readings. However that also means that to get very exact accuracy you have to go to the driving range, get your exact distances (assuming you can), and find the right adjustment to make your distances match in GSA...

Comment

With the new calculations I found about a 1% increase is speed for every degree of LA increase. Once you adjust for this, the new left and right shot adjustments are really good. I can see this being rectified in a future update. For those GSA users that want to take advantage of the better left/ right calculations...... these slight modifications are needed for now. Blanket settings are just not possible due to the differences in enclosures and camera positions. My settings that GSA are using are a good starting point. I would suggest setting up a club that you have a good feel for distance. Use the 67% 1 to 60 degrees. Take your most trusted club and adjust the scale until you find your distance is accurate. You will find that once you get into the lob wedges you may have to decrease carry in carry factors. I also found that my driver and woods were a little light. So they have been bumped to match my carries on golftown's GC2. Are you using TGC, red chain, or E6?

Comment

Working...
      X