Vertical Groove Golf Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vertical Groove Golf Driver

Just wanna see if any forum members have any views or thoughts on the new Vertical Groove Golf driver (https://www.vertgolf.com) that John Daly will be using on tour?

Looks like a gimmick to me. Initially I thought "maybe it would help cut down on spin" but, I would need to see a side by side test of a professional teacher on a launch monitor to really believe.

Comment

It was done before same patent was licensed years ago, the fact that we didn't hear about it then is telling I would think, though possibly because it was from a lower tier brand. Kind of like now.

Comment

grooves are for channeling away dirt and debris. on a driver, they are just for aesthetics. 100% marketing gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by inorkuo View Post
          grooves are for channeling away dirt and debris. on a driver, they are just for aesthetics. 100% marketing gimmick.
          They are also to channel away water, kind of like the groves on your car tires. They are of some benefit on a driver if you are playing in wet conditions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronsc1985 View Post

They are also to channel away water, kind of like the groves on your car tires. They are of some benefit on a driver if you are playing in wet conditions.
            true, i forgot about playing in the rain but i still don't buy that the vertical grooves do anything for you. the high heat driver from knuth seems interesting though. http://www.knuthgolf.com/

Comment

• Dan McWhirter
              Dan McWhirter commented
              Editing a comment
              I have the High Heat driver and 3 wood. Love them. I'm a slow swinger (110 mph ball speed according to SkyTrak) but I get good drives, straight, draw or fade, as desired. Supposedly optimized for a 95 swing speed, versus the Tour's typical 110. My buddies who hit long drives, maybe swinging 95, also like it. The 3 wood, carefully hit, gets me another 180 yards pretty easy, so I can make a lot of greens in regulation. It too works well at shot shaping.

I thought might be gimmicky too but John Daly deciding to use it made me think a little bit otherwise (though it's John Daly so shouldn't read too much into validity of the driver).

So interesting, Vertical Groove claims vertical groves allows its driver to impart less side spin whereas Knuth claims its High Heat driver w no grooves allows it to impart less side spin too... Both sounds a bit gimmicky unless some professional side-by-side tests can prove to me otherwise.

Comment

On the fence here but it does look like an interesting myth buster project. With vertical milling wouldn't an "Out to In" swing create even more slice spin and an "In to Out" swing create even more hook spin? Or is it the club loft and trapping effect with irons that has the bigger impact factor on spin? Though provoking and Interesting!!!

Comment

I think it is a mistake to say "Grooves do nothing on a driver". On low lofted clubs (like your driver) grooves actually serve a different purpose than grooves on your irons. They actually remove spin. Here is a decent article about it ; https://www.mygolfspy.com/the-vertic...us-or-gimmick/

Comment

• SirNeedaSim
                  SirNeedaSim commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Interesting article but I'm still on the fence. Seen a key contradiction in the article that doesn't add up to me. They said 90% of golfers have an outside in swing and most hits are near the heel. Those two things just don't add up correctly. Out to in swing produces toe hits not heel hits. Hence, I question integrity of the article.

• Joko
                  Joko commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I can't sight the video specifically, but I just watched a video from mark crossfield doing a lesson with a guy where he had him try to hit the toe yet stay inside and it equaled an inside out driver swing. By trying to hit the toe and stay inside of the ball he ended up hitting more center and more inside. I'm beginning to really like crossfields trainings, especially since he understands the technology and the little things you can do to change a swing.

I wish I could find an instructor that knew his stuff with gc2+hmt or track man. I would be happy to spend money on that.
                  Last edited by Joko; 01-12-2017, 06:38 AM.

I did just watch a video the other day on YouTube. It was a Rick Shiels shootout between the Vertical Groove and the Epic Sub Zero. I don't know that the vertical grooves help in reducing sidespin but overall this Vertical Driver looks like it plays every bit as long as the epic. Looks good to me.

Comment

Originally posted by doublebogey View Post
                  I thought might be gimmicky too but John Daly deciding to use it made me think a little bit otherwise (though it's John Daly so shouldn't read too much into validity of the driver).

So interesting, Vertical Groove claims vertical groves allows its driver to impart less side spin whereas Knuth claims its High Heat driver w no grooves allows it to impart less side spin too... Both sounds a bit gimmicky unless some professional side-by-side tests can prove to me otherwise.
                  John Daly also endorses Loudmouth clothing................

Comment

• doublebogey
                    doublebogey commented
                    Editing a comment
                    haha. good one.
                Working...
                X