Demo Shot Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Demo Shot Analyzer

In a moment of sheer craziness, I decided to create an app that imports the ProTee shot data and allows some visualization and basic analysis. It's in its very early stages of development, and it has a long way to go, but I'd like to get your ideas on things that might be helpful, or even if the app is helpful at all. Besides an interesting (and marginally fun) science project, I'm on the fence whether it'll be helpful in the end.

Anyway, the flight model seems pretty good. I've compared it to various references and the results are generally within a few percentage points in all major comparison areas.

I have my own list of ideas, but your ideas will be added to the list of potential features.

My main thoughts are:
    1. Golf bag collection
    2. Unlimited clubs - to save different clubs, shafts, grips
    3. Unlimited ball types
    4. Club mapping (Translate ProTee clubs to your own set(s) [i.e. 3I is really a 3H] on import)
    5. Club gapping
    6. Club characteristics
    7. Shot performance trending
    8. Shot averages
    9. Import data from other simulators

Here are a few screen captures:

This screen shows the imported data, and presents the selected shot results.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GolfCaddy-Screen1.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	97443

This screen is the comparison mode, where you can select up to 10 shots to compare the shot pattern.

Name:	GolfCaddy-Screen2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	270.3 KB
ID:	97444

This screen allows you to do some "what-if" manual shot calculations. Provide the ball velocity, launch angle, horizontal angle, total spin and spin angle, and chart the results.

Name:	GolfCaddy-Screen3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	97445

Pass along any comments...

Thanks,
    Doug

Looks awesome! C#? Maybe we can create a direct database link and skip the export/import process. See all your data with just your username.

Comment

• dclindner
      dclindner commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, C#. If there is an ability to get the data directly, that might be interesting. Any advice is helpful.

• andygg1986
      andygg1986 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes please! That would be awesome!

As I understand it, your Analyzer makes sense of the incomplete shot data that is currently collected from TGC. The glaring omission currently being Carry or Total Distance.

You've done some number crunching and come up with useful numbers.

Pretty impressive.

When will you give us something that we can play around with?

Comment

• dclindner
      dclindner commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'm picking away at it now. I really don't have an ETA, to be honest. I hope not too long to get something more useful.

Looks good and very usefulness! One thought, be able to ignore are delete a shot. Didn't mean to hit that way...

Comment

hey dclindner, any updates on this? it looks pretty awesome. much better than just looking at a spreadsheet.

Comment

Hi. Between work and play, I haven't made the kind of progress I'd like, but I have finally been able to add in a bit more functionality. To be honest, I'm a victim of my own expectations. lol.

I'll post a few new screenshots and try to figure out how to create a distribution for some testing by others. Stay tuned.

Comment

Hi...the main changes from the previous screenshots are:

- Added Dashboard
          - Corrected shot spray graphic
          - Improved navigation
          - Improved importation capabilities

The Dashboard provides some obvious statistics. It's pretty obvious from the "obvious" statistics that I have an over-the-top problem that I'm working on--pulling it and ending right...lol.

The not so obvious are Shot Quality and Decision Quality, based upon the result along the target line, and the resultant carry distance based upon the YTP number, respectively. I've also added a news stream function to give quick access to golf news. There are so few actual RSS feeds these days, though. ;-)

Name:	RangeCaddyDash.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	345.5 KB
ID:	111135

Primary difference is the incorporation of manual and shot comparisons on one screen with the addition of shot mode options at the bottom of the grid.

Name:	RangeCaddyShot1.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	111136

Here the shot spray radius graphic is now tight to the carry results, and the filtering options are fully integrated.

Name:	RangeCaddyShot2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	461.3 KB
ID:	111137

As I mentioned, I'm working on the Club Analysis functionality now. It'll have details on max, min, median, avg stats per club, trend in last 20 shots, shot pattern, tendencies and simple comparative options. I'm most excited by this option, which is taking longer than expected.

Lastly, in theory, this could also now import data from other simulators, as I've defined a schema system for the import data.

I'll try to get a distribution to share in the very near future.

Comment

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for creating this. What platform are you writing this for?

Great stuff!!!

Comment

Very cool stuff you are doing there!

Comment

Hey dclindner,

are you still working on this project. I think what you have done so far is great. I really hope you continue working on it and release something for us.

Gene

Comment

Hi Gene,

I'm so close I can taste it, but work has set me back. I'm hopeful to get through some of the details left while I'm on vacation in a few weeks. I'll need some testers to see how it works off of my build machine. Stay tuned.

Comment

Working...
                  X