TGC Spring Tour Major Next Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TGC Spring Tour Major Next Week

In case you want to play a few practice rounds: Next weeks Major will be played on Oakmont Country Club (ProTee Green - 6836)

Click image for larger version

Name:	major.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	71897

Played a few rounds already. Great course. I have a few things to work out though haha

Comment

ProTee United How do you view the course like that? i.e. a view of multiple holes without all of the normal data that's on the screen?

Comment

In SCOUT CAMERA mode you can move around on the course with mouse + WSAD keys.
        Use F12 to remove HUD, Ball and many more... F11 will go out of F12 mode.

Comment

Originally posted by ProTee United View Post
          In SCOUT CAMERA mode you can move around on the course with mouse + WSAD keys.
          Use F12 to remove HUD, Ball and many more... F11 will go out of F12 mode.
          When I click F12 to remove the HUD and then click F11 to exit the mode, it doesn't bring me back to the ball so that I continue my round. The WSAD keys still quickly move me around the course and I can't get back to where I was before I started...

Comment

• ProTee United
            ProTee United commented
            Editing a comment
            This F11/F12 mode is not intended to be used to explore the course during play. It's used to create screenshots.
            Use the SCOUT + WSAD keys during play. To get back from the screenshot mode to ball position F11 -> ESC -> RESUME ROUND -> F12.

I hate to be a complainer and perhaps I should just learn how to drive the ball farther. However, this is the 3rd week in a row where the course is over 6800 yards. I liked it better when around 6500 or below.

Just some input....thanks for the tour and all the work it takes.

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, it seems like we have been on a run of longer courses for a bit.

• jrz
            jrz commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree. It seems that there might be a long course bias when choosing courses this season.

I also don't understand why, even though there are great ProTee versions of the courses for the past few week's events, we are playing the non ProTee versions. It wold be nice to try and putt on a green that wasn't built into the side of a hill. This type of green makes sense for console gamers, but sucks for sim play.

Even though there might be some who are always looking for a more challenging course with the challenges that length and dramatically sloped greens bring, the overall tournament experience should be fun for EVERYONE.

There are two other ProTee versions.... around 6500 and 6200 done by the same designer. Still time to change it..... if there is enough interest in doing so. Penrose does have a point about the last 3 being long. The 6200 would yield some low scores as it would make 2 of the par 4's driveable for some long hitters. I believe the last time we played this course it was the 6800 yard version. So it would make sense that we pick a different version. I am ok with any of the ProTee versions.

Comment

• keither5150
            keither5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            the shorter versions are the same course as the 6800 yard version.

• tlhammond5
            tlhammond5 commented
            Editing a comment
            I vote for the longer course.

I think the "major" should be longer, go to some shorter courses in the following weeks. Just my .02.

Comment

• penrose
            penrose commented
            Editing a comment
            I could live with that. 6500 longest for non major and 6800-7200 for majors. With that said I could live with 6500 yards for next weeks major as well.

I like watching guys play these courses on TV but when I have to play the 7000 yard versions with greens that slope 8 different ways with speed it is a struggle to get through the 18 holes. If I had a pond in my sim room last week I would ave thrown my clubs right in it lol.. 6500 seems like a decent length considering we already get a few strokes taken off due to 6ft gimmes. Either way I'll be there playing but sometimes I feel like it's not fun when the course is just a beast when you can't hit it 275 off the tee

Comment

I can understand the length can be a heavy burden. But most of these courses do not allow me to take advantage of my length. I find myself hitting 3iron and 4WD off many of the tees due to where the trouble is, where the fairways narrow or where the doglegs are. So...I am only driving 250 - 270 most of the time. That being said....from 200 I am hitting 5iron and if you guys are hitting 5WD - that's not easy!! My vote would be be major 6800 - 7200 and 6500 - 6800 for non-major.

Comment

Great problem to have, but you are in the minority. There are so many studies out there on this and the vast majority of golfers cannot drive the ball 250 yds with roll. A recent study from January shows that sub 5 hdcp hitting it 250.9, 5-10 231, 10-19 215, 19-28 195, over 28 177. Reason for tee it forward program. Another chart has average golfer carry 130-212, tour pro 230-305, LD 295-365.

Comment

• jrz
                jrz commented
                Editing a comment
                wbond, Can you share a link to that study? I currently have the TrakMan stats hanging on the wall in my sim room (the garage) so I can look at them any time I want to destroy my sense of manliness. I'm thinking the study you referred to might make me feel just a little bit better...

I think, at least for me I still hit it farther outside. I have a skycaddie watch where you touch the club with the watch before you hit and it records the club and distance. With driver this year so far, 4 rounds and 3 different courses I am averaging about 225 - this is in 50 degree weather. On TGC I get about 210. I get very little roll on TGC I also find it easy to hit outside - still.

but will still play the tour - very fun. Darth - have you has a ghost again - you have me by 1 after nine. Very fun there.

Comment

Originally posted by ecarl97 View Post
                I can understand the length can be a heavy burden. But most of these courses do not allow me to take advantage of my length. I find myself hitting 3iron and 4WD off many of the tees due to where the trouble is, where the fairways narrow or where the doglegs are. So...I am only driving 250 - 270 most of the time. That being said....from 200 I am hitting 5iron and if you guys are hitting 5WD - that's not easy!! My vote would be be major 6800 - 7200 and 6500 - 6800 for non-major.
                Poor guy... Lol...wish I had your problems

Comment

The last time we played this course it was the 6836 version. When playing the same course the following year we usually try to mix it up a bit. Last year was a shorter version for Pebble Beach....this year longer. Next year ....most likely shorter. The tour committee has discussed this and have decided to play the 6551 Protee version for this event. The tour committee is responsible for testing and picking courses for the tour. We always welcome opinions and comments. Everyone always has a voice on the tour. Everyone will not always agree though. I think that the deciding factor here was that we played the 6836 version last year. If we played the 6551 version last year, we would have stuck with the 6836 version. We will be sending a message to ProTee to have the course changed to 6551 yards. Look for a longer version next year.

When picking the courses, the criteria used is accuracy first, playability second, length third. We did a poll a while back and those were the results. The designer did a great job duplicating this course. I highly recommend watching some of the action on TV over the weekend.

Comment

i'm not sure it is spring yet, or a major next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X