Best ball for skytrak?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best ball for skytrak?

Trying to figure out what would be the best ball to use with the skytrak? I normally play Bridgestone b330s. I have read recommendations for the chromesoft ball, but not sure why.

There are a few factors that would play into this.

​​​​​Most importantly, is there a ball the skytrak picks up the most consistently?

Second, durability. b330s and proV1 balls get cut easily from my wedges, which in turn, ruins the netting.

Third, price. If it is imperative to use balls in good condition as to not destroy net or screen, it is impractical to buy the most expensive tour balls to use.
    ​​​​​
    Thanks

I just got a dozen of these, Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Golf Balls

I got the Red and White ones. Warmed up and played 9 holes after work, zero "no reads". Good spin good carry and they feel pretty good off the club. At $39.99 per dozen, price isn't too bad either.........IMHO!

Comment

Any ball works well w SkyTrak as long it's not dirty, smudged or majorly worn (like range balls) and have decently solid marks or logos on them to help SkyTrak read better (your other concerns regarding durability and ruining your screens or nettings aside).

In fact, I think SkyTrak is great in helping determining performance of each ball and helping you choose which ball might be best for you. I've tried various balls to help me determine which gives me best combination of ball speed and low back spin off my driver given my club head speed and angle of attack, which balls claiming to reduce side spins (to reduce hooks and slices) actually reduces side spins significantly enough for me given my swing path, and which balls, though have low enough back spin off driver, still provides enough back spin off my short irons and wedges to hold on to greens on approach shots.

SkyTrak has helped me choose which ball to play IRL that has helped improved my scores on the golf course, and of course this is on top of improvements in my game w improved ball striking using SkyTrak.

My 2 cents: Don't necessarily try to choose a best ball to use w SkyTrak, but use SkyTrak to help you find best ball for you.
      Last edited by doublebogey; 02-11-2017, 04:32 AM.

Comment

• jrz
        jrz commented
        Editing a comment
        So..... which ball did you choose? The suspense is kiddinf me.

• doublebogey
        doublebogey commented
        Editing a comment
        I chose Callaway Supersofts. I'm getting old and don't have the swing speed I used to have so need low compression balls. The Supersofts give me decent ball speed off driver w 2-2.5k backspin and decent back spin (maybe just <1k less than I would really like) off short irons and wedges at decent prices that I can use both on course and w sim. Very close second was the Titleist DT TruSoft (really not much difference than Supersoft except somehow just felt Supersoft felt a little bit better).

Other close choices were Bridgestone e6 (slightly higher compression so slightly lower ball speed off driver than above) and Wilson Staff DUO (scuffs and cracks too easily and don't seem as well constructed as the 2 above).

I also found out paying extra for ProV1 and ProV1x didn't really make significant enough difference in some of the important numbers for me to justify the higher prices, and I'm not one of the lucky ones to have been able to buy some of those Costco Kirkland Signatures.
        Last edited by doublebogey; 02-11-2017, 09:46 AM.

doublebogey Its pretty awesome that ST is precise enough to help you pick a ball. Im pretty much set on the ball I play. For me its all about performance on the green.

Im just looking for a good practice ball.. The tour balls are too expensive and get cut to quickly to use for ST practice.

Comment

• doublebogey
        doublebogey commented
        Editing a comment
        Have you considered the lower priced Bridgestone e-series balls?

Yeah I have. Possibly the E5, its a spin ball. I think it has a pretty soft cover too though, dont know about durability.

Comment

I've been using the Snell MTB for about a month now. I see now difference in distance or feel then my previous ProV1s, they might actually be better greenside. Dean Snell has done an awesome job with the ball and at about $30 a dozen they are much more affordable than ProV1's.

Comment

• StanMI
          StanMI commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the Snell ball !! Cheap and great feel.

• Greasegun
          Greasegun commented
          Editing a comment
          How is the durability compared to prov1?

• Bill Huston
          Bill Huston commented
          Editing a comment
          I've been using Snell's My Tour Ball for about a year and now on live golf won't use anything else. They go a little further for me and are super soft around the green. I've had zero cuts. Just abrasions from trees and cart paths of course. Great ball for a great price when you buy the six dozen package deal. My sim room will be done in a couple of weeks - just waiting on a couple pieces - and that's what I will be using in my room. I'm super stoked and ready to join you guys on tour!

Used provs for $0.60-0.70 a ball...

Been using them for years.

Comment

• inorkuo
          inorkuo commented
          Editing a comment
          where do you get provs for that price?

I read a tip on here about trying MG golf C4 tour ball. $19.99/doz. for a urethane ball that tested against prov1 and compared well, Actually beat it. I play the white version on my sim and they seem to be durable as I play a lot of sim golf. My driver SS is 105 or so. Their spin is good as well. I tested them on my flightscope with silver dots on both the MG and on Prov1 (not sure if it was Prov1x) They spun the same or better.

Check out the review on Mygolfspy by a member with a trackman.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/12...-tour-c4-ball/

I see no reason not to use them on the sim. One caveat, I do not have skytrak so I do not know how they pick up spin on it.

Comment

• Zevon
          Zevon commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the recommendation - I love seeing obscure options like this!

best ball i have found to use is a new ball....regardless of your brand preference.

Comment

• Greasegun
          Greasegun commented
          Editing a comment
          It would make sense thay shiny white new balls are picked up more consistently

Has anyone tried using a sharpie to mark the ball for better spin recognition??

Comment

• Greasegun
          Greasegun commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought of this too although havent tried it yet.

Originally posted by Ken Robie View Post
        Has anyone tried using a sharpie to mark the ball for better spin recognition??
        Don't do this or you will very quickly get pissed that you have black marker marks on the middle of your screen

Comment

• Ken Robie
          Ken Robie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, but I'm not using them on a screen, just for the back yard. ;>)

Overall I agree with DoubleBogey, but I would happily use the Truvis if it meant more accurate info. Has anyone with a better swing than me found that to be the case?

Comment

Originally posted by Zevon View Post
          Overall I agree with DoubleBogey, but I would happily use the Truvis if it meant more accurate info. Has anyone with a better swing than me found that to be the case?
          Ive tried them for the same reason and didnt notice any better readings with them and the skytrak. And I did start noticing very faint pink marks on the screen from them too when I got up close, so stopped using them immediately when I saw that.

Comment

• Zevon
            Zevon commented
            Editing a comment
            Exactly the feedback I was looking for - thanks.

Ive had the best experience with the vice pro balls when it comes to picking up spin.. i put the putting line toward the camera and theyre money.. also skytrak dislikes dirty balls big time.. cleaning any ball does help

Comment

• Greasegun
            Greasegun commented
            Editing a comment
            How well does the vice ball hold up?

• Miura Mario
            Miura Mario commented
            Editing a comment
            I find them the same as any other premiem ball.. I wouldnt play any ball outside after 1 sim rounds - ill play the sim balls for a few rounds they all get dinged up too quick

You can get away with a lot, never mind worn out markings this ball has barely any dimples left!

I noticed the readings were going wonky so I drew crosses on it. Since then it continues to function as normal (ball speed, spin etc) so it must be structurally sound. I dont have an exact figure but I would guess I have hit 500-1000 shots with this ball. Chrome softs are very durable!

I seem to fracture Prov1 quite quickly, not sure why.

Comment

• wbond
            wbond commented
            Editing a comment
            Are you hitting into a screen with that? If so you maybe getting the screen marked up from the marker.

• James James
            James James commented
            Editing a comment
            Not exactly. Hitting into a curtain instead of a screen because I haven't finalised my design yet and don't have a projector.

• Timdm3
            Timdm3 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have exact opposite problem. I fracture chrome soft balls weekly but have never fractured a prov yet.
        Working...
        X