v2.5.4 Network Mode Connection Issues in SkyTrak app

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v2.5.4 Network Mode Connection Issues in SkyTrak app

Guys, apparently there is still an issue with some of you not being able to connect in network mode using the v2.5.4 SkyTrak app. It's way too hard to track because it's been reported over a series of different threads, mostly which pertain to sim partners. I'd like to keep this thread specific to the issue of the SkyTrak unit unable to connect to the SkyTrak app in network mode.

1) Is your symptom that the middle light turns solid yellow on unit but never connects to the app?

2) Have you tried doing a hard reset of the unit since the update?

3) Does your firmware version say version 1.55 in your Profile (if you connect in direct mode or USB)?

4) If all of the above have been done, are you positive that your iPad/PC has connected to the same network that you programmed to the SkyTrak unit?

Want to get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Seth, we have all tried these basic troubleshooting steps as you suggested the last time you responded to this issue weeks ago. After connecting in direct mode and going through the network connection wizard the SkyTrak does not list any networks and the middle light turns red. The only way to connect to the unit at this point is direct or USB. Yes, hardware reset has been tried many times. The firmware version is 1.550, which makes sense since the firmware update is what broke things. My network has not changed at all.

Comment

Please don't speak for everybody, seems there are other issues at play. I'm trying to find a solution. For your scenario, it sounds like the SkyTrak unit is not able to scan. Have you tried entering your network information manually (at the bottom of the scan window?) What happens then?

Comment

I'll speak for everybody since everybody seems to be having problems connecting in network mode since the last update and you have barely admitted there is a connectivity problem caused by said update.

Yes, I have tried to enter my network information manually and it does not connect.

Comment

Like I said before, we have a ton of users running fine since the update in network mode. The handful of problems that are still present here on the forum have been hard to track because of how many different threads they have been in. I'm trying to consolidate this issue into one thread and gather very specific info as to what the problem is. I'm trying to help. When I asked that you not speak for everyone, your problem is NOT what many others are reporting.

1) What is your device and model? (PC/iOS)

2) What Security Type is your network? Is it your home?

3) How many characters are in both the SSID and password?

4) Any special characters in either?

5) What happens when you try to manually input? Middle light blinks red, blinks yellow, then goes back to red?

6) This might be a stretch, but is it possible you have broadcasting disabled in your router?

Comment

Seth, I have been able to connect in network mode for a year and a half. It's not my device, security type, SSID name of the wifi network or broadcast mode being disabled.

Comment

Ok, anyone else willing to help troubleshoot? Impossible for me to reproduce here as it works fine. I need specific info. Will also work with the two that messaged me thus far.

Comment

• Genghis
                Genghis commented
                Editing a comment
                On vacation in Phoenix playing real golf Will try this out when we get back next week (If that Nor'easter doesn't delay our flights)

OK, just dealt with one and got it resolved. Here are the steps we did:

1) hard reset of the SkyTrak unit (this is a safe first step)

2) connected in direct mode and moved onto network mode steps. Scanned, chose, and entered password.

3) Unit connected to network with solid middle yellow but would not connect to the app.

4) We found that the iPad was rapidly switching back and forth between networks. So we picked the strongest 2.4GHz network and wrote those credentials to the SkyTrak unit (we did this manually in the scan window since this particular network did not show up in the scan). Then we "forgot" the weaker network on the iPad so that it would not try to connect to that one. Opened the app again and voila. 3 greens in network mode.

Comment

I must be a lucky one. I have not had any issues connecting to the SkyTrak app (or TGC) since the update. I'm using a HP laptop as my hardware, and my network is the Standard AT&T Uverse gateway they gave me, and the network password DOES have a special character in it. (I was worried about that)

I posted in a different thread that I thought I was having the issue of it dropping out of network mode, but it turns out that it was using my microwave that was causing the issue.

Comment

• dborden0
                  dborden0 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I feel extremely lucky too. I haven't had a single connection issue since the update. TGC has also been flawless.

I was able to get network mode to work again for my unit as well. I actually received a wifi USB adapter in the mail today so I was messing around with setting up the Skytrak in direct mode on one of the networks while I had the second network connected to my wireless network. For some reason my Skytrak suddenly connected in network mode on it's own. To be honest, I think the real issue was that I had my preferred network set to automatically connect along with a second network. I unchecked each network so I had to pick. So basically, I turned off the "connect automatically" option on the wireless network.

I think this is similar to what Seth was saying about the other customer's computer trying to connect rapidly to other networks. I think if you eliminate the multiple networks that is the key.

I will say Seth was pretty quick to try and help me out today and really appreciate his willingness to assist. I work in IT Security and have had great success because of my "going the extra mile" attitude. Just want to say that being on the other side of things I can see why this kind of attitude really goes a long way with customers...thanks Seth!

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No problem! Yeah, this never seemed to be an issue before and I'm really wondering if a recent iOS update has caused the iPad to be 'fishing' a lot more for a stronger network in the background. It seems that forgetting the other network(s) definitely works.

I am no network expert (others please jump in), but what seemed to be the root of my problem was an IP address conflict between Skytrak and my other network devices. Skytrak uses 10.0.0.100. On my network, my router was assigning a lot of other 10.0.xxx addresses. You can check your system by logging into your router admin settings (on my system: http://www.routerlogin.com/start.htm and then enter router Admin ID and password), and view Connected Devices.

When I originally set up my router, the setup genie set it to Access Point (AP) mode instead of Router mode. I believe this resulted in my network using a lot of 10.0.xxx addresses. When I switched it to Router mode, I think it started using 192.68.xxx addresses, which eliminated the conflict.

These settings vary by router. In my case, I could quickly fix this by unchecking “Enable AP Mode” from the “Wireless AP” section of “Advanced Setup” in the “Advanced” tab of my router settings. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk X6 R8000 .

I am not clear on whether that alone solved my problem or if it was that PLUS another fix that I strongly recommend for those still struggling. This involves buying a $30 USB wifi adapter and 5 minutes to install it on your PC. This provides Skytrak a very strong and accessible second wifi network on your PC to attach to using Wifi Direct Mode (you won’t have to ever use Network mode), while the PC connects to the internet through the original wifi network, which can have a different name (and even use 5G or AC speeds). Since doing this, my system has worked 100%. I will provide the detailed instructions in a follow-up post.

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great tips! Before this update, we did not allow SkyTrak to connect to 10.0.0.x in network mode, and now we do. It sounds like there may have just been an IP conflict - reading the netgear page confirms that it does set the IP to 10.0.0.1 by default. You could manually assign, but switching over to router mode did the trick on its own. Also, if you don't have another router in-line, I can see how having your router set to AP mode could create issues managing multiple devices/controlling a network. And finally, the Wi-Fi adapter is always a sure bet!

Here is the USB wifi tip – for PC users. This was described originally by user JJ62. It sounds complicated, but it only takes a few minutes to set up, and IT WORKS!!!! Good luck!

In short, this has you set up a second wifi on your PC (using a cheap USB wifi adapter) that you connect to your SkyTrak. Once you install it, going forward, when you click on your wifi icon at the bottom right of your windows screen, you will see a drop down at the top of the list that lets you select between your normal "wifi" and "wifi 2". Clicking on either one will show the list of the wifi signals available to the selected wifi. You turn on your SkyTrak, then click the wifi icon at the bottom right of your Windows screen and selected "wifi 2" at the top. When a list of wifi signals appears, select SkyTrak once it appears. Before or after this, jump over to select "wifi" from the top drop down to get your normal list wifi networks; connect your PC to your normal network to allow access the internet. It appears this normal network can have a different name than the one Skytrak uses, and it also can use a faster speed (e.g., 5G or AC).

Before doing this you might want to do a hard reset of your SkyTrak to forget your previous wifi settings (by inserting a paper clip in the hole on the bottom of your skytrak - make sure it is on and you see three yellow lights).

Here are the instructions...

Fix: PC currently has wifi. Bought another usb wifi for $25. Plugged in pc, installed drivers. Attached the skytrak wireless ssid to my 2nd wifi and it worked. Internet then didn't work - so I could play skytrak driving range, but not perfect golf or surf the web. Opened 'Network and Sharing Center'. 'Change adapter Settings'. For the adapter that was connected to skytrak, right click and select 'properties'. Uncheck 'IPv6', select 'IPv4' and click 'properties'

[on my PC, both IPv6 and IPv4 had already been marked as selected. After I unchecked IPV6, the "Properties" button was grayed out. It became usable only if I unchecked and then rechecked IPV4].

Click 'advanced'. uncheck 'automatic metric' and put in the number two (2). Save your way out. Do the same for the other adapter [the entire process], but put in ' metric' of one (1).

What this does is tell your computer that when in doubt - use your internet connection (metric 1). the skytrak connection will always talk directly to the pc. It's working GREAT now!!! Hope this helps someone else as you all have helped me.

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for documenting this!

Mark72 wow u went the extra mile to document your solution to this issue. Question: were u having issues before the update? If so this was probably not an update issue, but rather a local wifi issue and what u did solved it. If this only started after the update I would say something else is the issue and it is unreasonable for the average user to have to do all this to get this thing to work as designed
                Last edited by Fhacker; 03-11-2017, 04:25 AM. Reason: edit for correction

Comment

• Mark72
                  Mark72 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My issues were before the update. Sorry if this was placed in the wrong thread. Still hope it might help others as a last resort.

i do direct connection from ipad to skytrak, hit 3-4 shots, then middle light goes green to red...ipad says still connected but no red dot.

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  When this happens, can you quickly check the iPad Wi-Fi settings and see if the iPad happened to switch over to a wireless network? Also, do you happen to have a PC to test this same scenario with? Just trying to narrow down if the unit Wi-Fi is spotty, or if the iPad is flipping to a stronger network behind the scenes.

I'm willing to test fixes, but I can only work on it nightly after I return from work.

This is my original post:
                My skytrak worked without issue for 1.5 years, but now my skytrak connects to my wifi network (red yellow green) then conects to the skytrak app and the lights go red green green (top down). The change to green green green with laser no longer occurs. This happens with USB mode, pc software, ios app, and TGC.
                I checked my skytrack again today to document my issues a second time.
                windows 10
                ios version 10.1.1
                firmware: 1.550
                ios app v2.5.4
                pc app v.2.5.4

attempt1 - ios app direct mode
                1. Powered on skytrack, lights went red, red, green (top down)
                2. turned on ipad app (v2.5.4), lights when red, green, green.
                3. Ipad app said connected under the "tap for connections" location on startup screen.
                4. within moments, status changed to "looking for connection" while lights stayed red, green, green.
                5. stuck

attempt2 - ios app direct mode
                1. Turned off device waited 1 min, then powered on. lights red, red, green.
                2. kill ipad app from app queue. (double button click and swipe upward)
                3. changed wifi to Skytrak (ip address assigned 10.0.0.100)
                4. launch app. entered credentials
                5. "looking for connection", "please wait", "direct mode", Connected"
                6. lights red, green, green
                7. connection lost, "looking for connection".
                8. confirmed I'm still connected to skytrack in ipad settings.
                9. switched to different wifi network, then switched back to skytrak.
                10. switched back to ipad skytrack app still "looking for connection"
                11. killed ipad app. restarted it. logged in. looking for connection
                12. stuck here
                attempt3 - pc app usb
                1. connected via usb. powered on skytrack. windows chimed to confirm connection of new usb device
                2. lights red, red, green
                3. launched skytrack software
                4. checking license file, usb mode, connected, lights red, green, green
                5. moments later, looking for connection, not connected
                6. stuck here.
                7. lights stay red, green, green
                8. I can repeat this process. It stays connected long enough for me to visit about screen and confirm firmware and serial number then promptly disconnects. If I try quickly going into practice mode, the lights never go green, green, green.
                This all repeats after resetting. This is the state of things now. Anecdotally it feels like my skytrack's functionally has continually worsened, but that's just what it feels like. TGC causes lights to go red, green, green, but then disconnects box. TGC update didn't help.

Regardless at this point I have no effective connectivity.
                Last edited by Fluffy; 03-12-2017, 05:31 PM.

Comment

• SkyTrak_Seth
                  SkyTrak_Seth commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm almost positive this is something with your membership. If it is Red/Green/Green, then you are connected in the app - for some reason though, it is not allowing you access. Can you please PM me your name, skygolf 360 email, and your serial number (REE*******). I'll have someone take a look on the backend asap.
              Working...
              X