What ball are you using?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ball are you using?

I have been using the Titliest nxt tour ball with my skytrak and also when I play on the course. I like the ball and it is very durable. One nxt ball lasts about a month of practice, hitting 2-3 session per week. The Bridgestone E6 ball that came with my skytrak lasts about two weeks. I just received some Snell tour balls. They had more spin than the NXT tour ball, but to my surprise, the ball only lasted two practice sessions. I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a ball that is durable and has good spin with the wedges.

I use the Callaway Truvis (Red and White soccer ball). It's not supposed to be compatible with Skytrak but it works great for me. Good distance spin and feel. I've scuffed some of the paint off but I haven't cracked one yet. On average in an 18 hole round I only get about 5 no reads.

Comment

• GolfAholicAnonymous
      GolfAholicAnonymous commented
      Editing a comment
      I use the yellow on the course. Great ball. Does the color come off on the screen?

• StanMI
      StanMI commented
      Editing a comment
      Not at all. I have gone through about 6 balls ( I change out about every 3 rounds) and there are no marks on the screen.

I've been using 2 dozens Callaway's Diablo Tour for range sim, lasted about 3 months. I would imagine using only a sleeve (or even just one ball) won't last very long. I can get maybe two rounds in TGC with a single premium ball before it gets eaten up.

Comment

• GolfAholicAnonymous
      GolfAholicAnonymous commented
      Editing a comment
      Do they get eaten up just by lots of club contact or something else? Do you then take them out to the course or are they truely done?

• frackh
      frackh commented
      Editing a comment
      The cover on them have started to fray, that's to say that I can now feel the skin texture becoming rougher. The logo ink started to wear off about a month into but at least the wedges have not dug into it like a few shots with the premium balls. So really good for the Skytrak usage as far as durability is concerned. Distance is fairly spot on but a little lower on the spin side.
      Last edited by frackh; 04-03-2017, 04:52 PM.

I've used K-Sigs and Vice Pro. I liked the K-Sigs but I had two of them break fairly quickly on the sim so decided to keep them just for the course. The Vice Pro are fine, I've had a couple of them break also but I don't mind as much with them., They are more affordable than some other premium balls and you can still buy them (vs. the K-Sigs). I've been watching Mark Crossfield do his golf ball comparisons - he compares everything to a ProV1 but plays a Chromesoft. Anyway, it's interesting that a lot of the less than premium balls do well in his tests so when I run out of Vice Pros I might go to Supersoft or one of the others that he found compare well.

Comment

Im a Bridgestone guy. E5's and B330's are just right in my opinion. Taylormade Aeroburner softs are a close 2nd for me tho. Cheaper ball, very durable and decen distance and spin. I haven't had any of the Bridgestones crack like chromesofts do, but i have noticed the cover will get chewed up and wreak havoc on your screen!

Comment

I've been using the Callaway super soft and the callaway chrome soft truvis red/white.

I just discovered something yesterday that is really weird - the chrome soft spin was normal for my 60/56/52 wedges being about 9000-11000, but the supersofts were only reading about 5000-6000... As soon as I moved to a PW or 9 iron, both balls were back to pretty comparable spin rates of about 8000. Maybe the skytrak just didn't like the wedges with the supersofts. Anybody else have this issue?

I split balls often. I probably throw one away every time I play, but that's usually a couple hundred hits.

Comment

• Sledge0001
          Sledge0001 commented
          Editing a comment
          I use Chrome Softs and find the backspin does seem to exceed what I can pull off in real life. Frequent 9-11k readings that give a ton of backspin in TGC but I don't see that in real life.

• GungHoGolf
          GungHoGolf commented
          Editing a comment
          Chrome Softs are a high-spin, urethane cover ball. You should be seeing spins of 9-11K with them.

• Lukej88
          Lukej88 commented
          Editing a comment
          I am playing Callaway Super Soft on the course and the sim. I read in the 5-6k range with wedges as well. Once in a great while I will see 8k plus, but not very often. I know I get more spin IRL than on the sim, but I stay with the Super Soft on the sim because I like playing with the same ball IRL and on the Sim.

Srixon XV for me. Best ball I've tried yet. Callaway's seem to wear and crack quicker than anything. B330S's are my other go to

Comment

Like frackh above I use diablo tour, got 2 dozen for 30 at dicks. Been using the same 2 dozen all winter and they still clean up as white as new. No scuffs to speak of but a bit of paint worn.

Comment

SkyTrak has really helped me w my ball selection. I started using Bridgestone E6 (even before buying SkyTrak). Then went to Titleist TruSoft. Now seeing that the iron spins that allows me to stick short iron shots onto green I have moved on to ProV1x (seem to prefer ProV1x slightly over ProV1 but don't really know why yet but I'm sure SkyTrak will help me figure it out).

Comment

I use one of two. Primarily, I use the Callaway Diablo Tour, which is the same ball I play with, but I also use Srixon Q-Star as well. I've lately been using the Q-Stars with my SkyTrak, because they are "Bright White" and in my mind, I think it may help the SkyTrak pick up the logo better. I have nothing to prove that, but it makes sense to me.

Comment

Srixon soft feel and Q star for me and when my friends come over, Top flight XL distance for them lol... $20 for 36 of those so I don't care how many I go through and they make for OK balls to use on the range app for practice.

Comment

Titliest nxt Tour. Very durable and plays well.

Comment

I order up used NXT tours $12.99 a dozen from lost golf balls. Durable and reliable for SIM. On course NXT tour or ProV1. Notice wedge spin on NXT tour on firm courses isn't quite as good. Regardless of ball split one about 200-300 shots. Split a super soft in less than a round.

Comment

I've been using Bridgestone E6 balls for years now. I usually get a couple of rounds before the ball starts feeling a bit rough. When it has a nick or scuff, I put it into a bag that'll be used for on the course!
                      Sometimes a single wedge shot can do it though!

Comment

After reading this thread, I thought it would be interesting to test out a few premium balls as I have been playing with some cheap Calloways I bought at Costco in bulk. I tried the Bridgestone B330s, Titleist Pro v1x and the Srixion Q stars. It was really interesting comparing the ball characterstics of the three. I only hit 9 iron and driver, but the Srixion Q stars just played awesome for me. I'm going to stick with them for a few weeks and see how things go. The titleist came in a pretty close second but my shots seemed more erratic. Probably just my own swing flaws, but golf is a mental game, and if I have confidence with a club/ball it makes all the difference in the world.

Comment

Working...
                        X