Skytrak Armour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skytrak Armour

Ok, I'm starting this thread to see if protecting the Skytrak box is still a must for some people.

I have read countless posts on this subject and generally feel that this is a need for users. I have owned the Skytrak for a couple of months and agree for the most part. Honestly, it doesn't seem an issue for myself, however I couldn't possibly let my kids, favorite friends, or even a touring pro use it without completely freaking out!!!

My question is this. Is this a need for users that still exists for a reasonable enough amount of people?

I am a manufacturing engineer and have all the available information and software to develop a legit protective case that can make the Skytrak bulletproof. I can integrate leveling devices, locating devices, and alignment aids into the case. Basically whatever a user wants.

I can have these produced at a reasonable cost and shipped to a user. This is what I can do.

I have a desire to this, have started on a prototype for myself, but am really looking for more interest than personal use. Time is a huge motivator for me as I'd rather be hacking away on the TGC. LOL!

If you are interested, please PM me or just reply to this thread so I can get an idea of the need.

Disclaimer: yes I have the Davray sketch and will use some of that information in whatever design I come up with. My plan would be to optimize and improve overall function of whatever case I come up with. I see location, leveling, protection, and consistency of setup being the utmost importance.

• Gary, got mine a few days ago. I bought the "lite" version.

Everyone-There is nothing "lite" about it! It is a force to be reckoned with. Total confidence now letting my kids use the SkyTrak.

Thanks Gary. Awesome product and a great price.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
      DirtyGarry24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good deal Ahusing. Glad you like it! 👍🏼

• Skytrak Armour update. I've received 8 orders for the original Armour via PayPal. I'm supposed to receive the cases no later than 05/11. This is a small batch so order up if you're interested. paypal.me/GarySatterwhite

I've also got the "Lite" version on ebay. eBay - Skytrak Armour

Both cases include locking nuts to keep the levelers in position...

Comment

• Gary, coming from an engineer that armour case looks amazing. I really like how the cameras are protected along with the USB connection. When I get the skytrak I will definitely purchase the armour. Thank you

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Sweet Gabe! I appreciate the interest and welcome you to the sim world. It's a helluva lot of fun.

I highly recommend TGC and the online tournaments if it's in your budget and interest. Good weekly competition that fits into the family time budget (low).

• Hi Gary I bought one from you heading to the UK. Waiting for it to turn up.i was undecided between you and the fmj.the reviews I was reading sold it for me So can't wait to try your product. Let you know how I get on

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Awesome lewisellis! Did you buy one of the "Lite" models or the originals?

• Hi Gary model mes 00124

Comment

• I'm getting a batch of the Original Armour this Friday, May 12. I still have some that haven't sold. Order up if interested!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_5557.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	117945

Comment

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't wait for mine to show up! Just gotta get this pulled rib/intercostal muscle to heal up before it gets here.

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        It's on it's way teamacacia. Sorry to hear about the injury, been battling tennis elbow myself for a while now. Never seems to get much better or worse most likely because of my reluctance to rest it.

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, gone are the days of my high school and collegiate multi-sport prowess. Getting old sucks. I hit one golf ball this past weekend and decided that was one too many. I'm giving myself two weeks more of a break and that is probably all I can stand.
        BTW, case showed up yesterday. Didn't get home from work until almost midnight and called back in at 5 this morning. Hope to be off early and get it loaded up.
        I seem to remember reading "the way" to load the ST in the original case, but cannot remember what you recommended. Any help on that?
        Thanks!

• Hi Gary got my case today. Got here quick. Looks great. Thanks for a nice product let you know when I get a chance to try it out.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Good deal, glad you like it.

• I shipped out the original cases to people that pre ordered them.

Comment

• zengolf
        zengolf commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Gary, if there is a tracking number can you pm it to me, so I can inform my cargo forwarder? Thanks for all your work, appreciate it.

• teamacacia - Regarding setting up the Skytrak in the Armour case, this is what I do. I attach the base to the ST first and snug up the capscrews. Keep them loose enough to still allow some rotational freedom. Then I set the alignment in relation to the v-block alignment rod holders. Whether that means parallel for your ST or slightly skewed, that's for you to decide. You can verify your alignment by hitting some soft pitches if you feel comfortable with that. Once you set your alignment perfectly you can tighten down the capscrews. Then you simply line up and tighten down the top enclosure in relation to the ST. Ensure the "laser aperture" is centered in the little window of the case and compress the neoprene foam padding slightly to ensure your ST is as close to the window as possible. You can now visually see how close the ST is sitting inside the case with the openings in the top. This gives you that added piece of mind that everything is in order. Good luck and feel free to post if you have any more questions.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        You got it all teamacacia. I don't send 3 because it isn't necessary but won't hurt a thing if you decide to add. It's a 7mm screw.

I can get you the 3" levelers, I keep a few on hand for the odd case. PM if you want me to send some. If you want to source yourself they are 1/4"-20 UNC.

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        Ok thanks DirtyGarry24. I have to run by ACE in the next few days and will check it out to see if I can find suitable replacements there. If not, I will message you.
        Just wondered about the big screw in the middle vs small middle one as the big screw covers the reset port if it needs to be accessed (hopefully not). Also, the big screw bottom middle doesn't go more than two threads in and is at least 1/4" from screwing in completely. Is this supposed to happen? I was worried I was crossthreading the screw, but I made sure I wasn't. I can only get it to thread in a couple threads before getting really tight and don't want to force it...

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ya don't force it teamacacia. Sounds like the threads are bad in your ST. I've had someone else with a similar issue. You can check the screw itself with one of your included nuts to make sure those threads are good. If those are good then it's bad threads in your ST. Again, don't force it. My suggestion would be to source another 4mm screw or just use the 2. I don't know where I got 7mm in my post below. Doh! The small ones are 4mm and the large are 6mm.

• teamacacia - I went and pulled the information from my parts order sheet so I don't screw it up again.

Small Screw - M4 x 0.7 mm Thread, 10 mm Long
      Small Washer - M5 Screw Size, 5.3 mm ID, 10 mm OD

Comment

• teamacacia
        teamacacia commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the followup. I may just pick up a third small screw and washer and ditch the large one. The threads visibly appear to be okay on the ST, and the threads on the screws are good too. Wonder if theST threads are cut a little tighter than they should be?

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        I actually had one that was a bit tight when I was first sizing the threads (smaller ones). I just got "slightly force full" with it and it loosened right up. Most likely a little bur in the threads. Of course I'm not going to tell you to do that and risk breaking something. You'll be more than good using the 3 smaller ones.

• Hello DirtyGarry24. Is this case still available to order and if so how do I do that. I originally ordered the case made by ST and it has fallen apart. Your case looks fantastic.

Thanks in advance

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
        DirtyGarry24 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes sir, I sent you a PM with directions on different ordering options.

• Gary, do you mind sending me a PM as well with different ordering options? I am interested as well. Thanks!

Comment

• Ordering options are:

Original version - PayPal payment to paypal.me/GarySatterwhite

"Lite" version - eBay - Skytrak Armour

Comment

• Gary, I sent a payment for the Original version to the link you provided. I'm looking forward to receiving the case. Thanks.

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
          DirtyGarry24 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal, thank you for the purchase. Should get it in the mail this morning.

• DirtyGarry24 just got my unit today... This case is even better in real life than i could have imagined. its a monster! Thank you again for the case!

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
          DirtyGarry24 commented
          Editing a comment
          Great to hear! Thanks and good luck getting all set up frankiepap39.
      Working...
      X