This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrack - Full Metal Jacket protection shield

Finally had a chance to finish a prototype of my SkyTrak protection. (I had my last unit take a ball to the IR lens while IN the protective case from SkyTrak - it didn't work again.)

Being lucky enough to own a business with a good bit of sheet metal equipment, and finally the time. (having a party this weekend and need to protect my unit!) The leveling feet need a bit wider spacing, and I need to test that the unit still reads shots. I went with a minimum of openings to try to keep balls from sneaking through the front. I popped off the IR lens so that it's easy to see the parts that need to "see" - I'll obviously be putting it on before testing. Still unsure if I'll screw the unit to the base and leave an air gap, or use foam on 5 sides to isolate the SkyTrak from the steel.

I added a lip in the front so I can drop an alignment rod in for a visual reference.

Holes on bottom need adjustment, and maybe slotting to allow the SkyTrak to be adjusted to the base for alignment.

Interested in comments! Click image for larger version

Name:	case1s.jpg
Views:	4497
Size:	312.8 KB
ID:	90781
    Click image for larger version

Name:	case2s.jpg
Views:	3850
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	90782

Name:	case3s.jpg
Views:	3922
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	90783

Name:	case5s.jpg
Views:	4130
Size:	287.9 KB
ID:	90784

Name:	case4s.jpg
Views:	3810
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	90785

Name:	case6s.jpg
Views:	4416
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	90786
    Last edited by awisnia; 12-16-2016, 04:19 AM.

Looks good. What is your max height with the current bolts? Can they be changed to make the unit higher? Some mats are pretty thick. How is the nut fastened to the base? Press fit?

Comment

• awisnia
      awisnia commented
      Editing a comment
      Those are riv-nuts, they insert like a rivet - may go with Pem nuts on the next version. Yes, any length bolt or leveler will work - I plan on moving one to the back, as in the SkyTrack case.

2 words.... Bad Ass!

Comment

Very impressive. Great work. With a direct shot, to keep the skytrak from falling backwards and breaking, are you just putting something cushy to catch it or are you going screw it into the bottom?
      My courses:
      Aldeen
      Butler National
      Cantigny
      Canyata
      Cog Hill #4
      Harbor Shores
      Harborside
      Naperville Country Club
      Prairie Landing
      Rich Harvest Farms
      Ruffled Feathers
      Shoreacres

Comment

• awisnia
        awisnia commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a partial backside - as described above: "Still unsure if I'll screw the unit to the base and leave an air gap, or use foam on 5 sides to isolate the SkyTrak from the steel." (Also - check out the bottom photo above - there are holes for the same)
        Last edited by awisnia; 12-16-2016, 04:46 AM.

Comment

Nice work there! Let us know how it works out for you.

Comment

Update - did some hitting - hit 40 shots, 20 with the Skytrak flush with the back of the steel face, 20 with 0.125 of a gap. Did not miss a single shot.

Need to play with some foam pads and screws to come to a conclusion on the hard mount versus soft. Some have suggested that the ability to fix the ST position relative to case after aligning it is important. Hard to balance that benefit against the theoretical shock "disconnecting" that the foam would give. Anybody know the thread on the small holes?

Took a short video - really enjoy the way that cell phone cameras can "see" the IR happening. First the trigger line, then the IR flash. (very fast, but you can see it)

Caught a great frame from the video - can see all nine leds very well and even a blur from the ball - I think I will stick with the vertical bars for added protection.

Need to move one leg to the back for more stability...other than that - ready to go.

Name:	flash ball.jpg
Views:	1046
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	90827

Comment

• DirtyGarry24
            DirtyGarry24 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well done awisnia. Large center hole is M6 x 1.00. Small outer holes are M4 x .70.

Looks great.

I think given an option, i'll opt for hard mount since I pickup and move my device 10-20 times per round. I have a straight edge that I butt it up against for alignment, so as long as the device is aligned to the front edge of the case when hard mounted, it's golden for my usage.

I'm not a big believer in those alignment lasers and am in the camp that believes the box itself is the correct alignment device.

Comment

Love it. Are you considering selling any? If so, I'd be interested at the right price.
            - Ron at GunghoGolf.com - we specialize in TrackMan, FlightScope, Foresight, Uneekor, SkyTrak, Garmin, Bushnell, TGC, and E6 Connect. 512-861-4151 or email hello AT gunghogolf.com.

Comment

• awisnia
              awisnia commented
              Editing a comment
              Making a batch - check classified section

This is amazing. I too am interested in purchasing if you are planning to make a couple. I would think its best not to have any foam or insert between the unit and the metal cage as any strikes would cause the shock to transfer into the unit? I'm not an expert in that area but I would assume any shock would have to travel somewhere and with a foam lining it would mean more transfer into the skytrak unit itself.

Comment

• awisnia
              awisnia commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm leaning the same way on no foam. To me, it looks like everything that is shock sensitive is right up top and front - just behind the IR lens. My last unit took a hit to the lens (while in the ST case) and it looks like the line laser for the trigger is shattered inside. I have not sent it for repair yet.

If I put some screws and slots in the bottom, that match with the inserts on the SkyTrak - folks with alignment concerns can adjust the ST/Case relation and fix it in place. The leave an air gap all the way up and down the sides of the unit so the shock transfer will be at the base.

I don't know - I mean foam really does absorb shock - as in helmets. But, screws seem simple and solve the alignment people's issues.

• awisnia
              awisnia commented
              Editing a comment
              making a batch - check classified section

Looks awesome. Just needs a slight cosmetic change:

Comment

• awisnia
              awisnia commented
              Editing a comment
              Perfect )))))))))))))))))

Well done!

Comment

After tests - I think my only mod is to change the base to be flat, and put the inserts for adjusting legs in a triangle (side-back-side) I'll also be making the base a bit thicker so it's heavier. Maybe tweak the openings on the front and make adjusting slots for the screws on the bottom. I like the black crinkle because it doesn't reflect. Any other thoughts??

QUESTION: I put my ST on the grass mat as shown (GORILLA Perfect Reaction - love it) and really don't need the levelers at all. Am I the only one??

I understand that many use the unit next to a stance mat and need to raise it - but how many out there just put it on the mat and hit??
              Last edited by awisnia; 12-16-2016, 07:52 PM.

Comment

Well done and great pics and video of your prototype in action. I'm a big fan of hard mounting and not putting the foam in. Looking forward to seeing the final product and price if you are going to sell them. Cheers!

Comment

• awisnia
                  awisnia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  making a batch - check classified section for details

Version II should be ready to go next week. Not sure where it will go from there, but will figure out a way to get something out for people that could use it. My 12 year old was working on his Full Metal Golf logos last night, but not sure that we'll be jumping in that deep. Although his young entrepreneurial spirit is heartening.

Comment

• Kevin_C
                  Kevin_C commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would definitely be interested in purchasing one of these. Ball park cost to make??? Cost for one to buy?

• awisnia
                  awisnia commented
                  Editing a comment
                  check classified section
              Working...
              X