Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Simulation software entertaining without a projector?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulation software entertaining without a projector?

I just picked up a SkyTrak and plan to use it at the indoor practice facility at my club. As the club has no projection system, I will just use the SkyTrak on my tablet. I didn't subscribe or purchase any game software as I just don't know how the experience will be without a projector and putting area. Do you find game simulation enjoyable enough with just a tablet?

Thanks.

Ken

The only one with tablet is WGT and most were really unimpressed. If that's your only option, it's better than nothing.

Comment

I use TGC on a 17" HD 4K laptop with a GTX 1080 graphics card and find it quite entertaining. The laptop is fairly close to me, so I can see the screen well, and the resolution is excellent. I also have the laptop connected to a 65" HD 4K TV behind the net, but usually don't bother turning that on, as I find the laptop display more than sufficient to let me know how I am doing. No doubt that a projection system would be more immersive, but also more pieces to deal with - I'm fine with my laptop, even if a projection system would be a different and arguably superior experience.
      Last edited by GmanJeff; 12-21-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

A projector is a must if you want to give that feeling that you are on the course. You already splurged might as well follow through...

Comment

It's like a gateway drug. I started with a 32" TV next to my laptop, and I really enjoyed it. Enjoyed it so much that I upgraded to a projector and screen two weeks later. And it really is even better, by a lot.

Comment

wgt + ipad kept me satisfied for about 3 days.

i could run tgc on a monitor instead of projector 100% if I had to. no problem.

Comment

As aeroburner and Aero found out when we tried playing live the other night, I am currently dragging all my gear out on the patio to play TGC until I move at which point I am setting up an impact screen etc.

They got to hear me rushing to put away my computer, TV, and GC2 while it started pouring rain.

Its a pain for me to drag it all out but I am hitting into a Rukket Net off amazon right now and I have to watch it on a 32" TV thats only 720p....... and I am having an absolute blast.

If you have the budget for a gaming laptop (surprisingly not much more than the desktops with this latest video cards) and TGC, go for it, you won't regret it. It is still really fun.

I haven't played it with a projector yet but I bet it will be fun. That would not be a deal breaker for me either. I also don't have any putting surface setup yet either, I just putt off my CCE mat.

Comment

While I would love to run a projector, I am hitting into a net outdoors so not feasible.

I have a gaming rig (desktop) that sits in the house. I use a screenshare (splashtop) app to share my desktop with my ipad. I use my other ipad as a remote. Works perfect.

Would be great to have it set up in the house... but alas, it won't fit =(

Comment

Thanks for the replies. My tablet is Surface 3, so likely not fast enough for good animation with a golf sim. We have a theater room at the house but with only 8.5' ceilings. So my practice will be at the club, and I don't want to haul projection equipment with me to the club each time I want to practice. I will spend some time with just the basics. Maybe swing for the Game Improvement Package, but will hold off for now on the game simulation software.

Ken

Comment

I couldn't do anything but the big screen. I tried just playing on the tv in my sim room and while it looked way crisper and the courses popped off the screen compared to the projector, it wasn't that fun hitting into a screen without the course on it. I have used the sky track app out on the range though and that's fun looking at the accuracy of the machine compared to real life results

Comment

I have a 40" TV I use as a monitor in my golf room, I sometimes use it when it is just me doing test on clubs and such but most of the time I use the projector it is really the only way to go if you can, so much more fun using it.

Comment

I went all in and have no regrets. Yeah it cost a lot but I looked at it as a long term investment for me and my young son for quality father son time. Plus I have a gc2 so like skytrak it can be used in the sim and outdoors on the range. But hitting into the screen with a projector set up with a desktop really give's you a real experience. And now we play on line together which is great. I had a match play round tonight and felt nerves just like on the course. If you know someone that can build you a computer specific sim use only it's pretty cheap. I got one made for my sim for less than 500 with a monitor. There are a few companies out there that sell netting and screens and mats to hit off of. Par2pro, custom designed golf... just to name a few. You can buy emt poles, fasteners, and make a frame pretty cheap actually and DIY.. You could raise your ceiling you would need a min of 9 ft though. A theater room would be ideal because it's indoors and you could play all year long in AC and Heat. Just a thought.

Comment

Okay, I'm not going to spend the big bucks to excavate my basement deeper or raise my ceiling, or pull a car out of the garage during the Michigan winters. But... I measured my ceiling in the basement last night, and it is 8' 9". I pulled a 6 iron from my bag and took a dozen or more swings with no dents in the ceiling. At 6' 2", I'm pretty certain the driver won't work in the basement. But I could possibly set up something where I could hit my irons. Do the game simulations have shorter courses for play or would I be limited to shorter par 3 challenges? I don't want to play 6500 yard courses with a 5 iron being my longest club. If I could get a good simulation experience with my irons, I might set up something in my theater room and get some software. I could then work on my irons at home whenever I wanted, and I could take the SkyTrak to my club's indoor practice facility when I want to work with my driver. Hmmm...

Comment

• wbond
                            wbond commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Where are you at in MI? I'm in the metro detroit area and you can check out my ST and TGC if you want. There are some shorter courses in TGC. Were you standing on a mat in the basement? You'll take off about 1-2" of height with a mat.

• Brettskermetzger
                            Brettskermetzger commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I play the augusta par 3 just about every night...great practice for the wedge game and you still get to play. Win Win in my book.

Sounds like there are some short courses available. Maybe I can make something with. I took some more swings last night in the basement and aske my son to check the clearance with my 7 iron. He thought I had about 5 to 6".

Wbond, I'm in Pinckney. Thx.
                          Last edited by KenMan; 12-25-2016, 02:01 AM.

Comment

Ken based on experience of changing my system 3 times and spending more on rearanging things. Make your sim to fit every club in your bag. My ceiling is 9 4 ft tall I'm 6 ft 1 inche's tall . My stance mat which is the country club elite which is probably one of the best you can buy is 1.75 inches. I never hit my driver with the ceiling. I understand the cost factor. But I'd hate to see you after a while not fully enjoying the sim experience only using half your bag. I have a son and he's gonna probably be 6 ft 3 when he's fully grown. He doesn't hit the ceiling either. And it's a blast playing full golf together not to mention my buddies whom some are even taller than me. Just food for thought. Merry Christmas.... Tony

Comment

Working...
                            X