Launch angle issues Skytrak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launch angle issues Skytrak

Hello I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I would make a question.
    So I apologise if this has already been asked.
    I am a owner of a Skytrak unit and believe it's a great and affordable product.
    My issue is however when I use woods and long irons: the launch angle is too low (3 degrees for the driver, 7 degrees for the 3 wood, 12 for the 4 iron, etc.).
    This fact clearly affects the ball flight dynamics and the result is displaying very short and inconsistent shots. I am sure this is not my game as I tried the unit at the range and my shots were quite high.
    Can you give me any suggestions/advise to fix it?
    Does anyone has the same problem?
    As this happens on the Skytrak range (I am not using any simulator software yet) do you think using a simulator software may solve the problem?
    Thanks in advance and happy golfing.
    Bye

I am in the same boat with my driver. I do have a low trajectory, but even when I hit farther up my net, I still rarely see a launch angle above 7 degrees. I have just been dealing with it, as I'm in Michigan and haven't went to an indoor range with my skytrak yet to confirm my suspicions. Yes it's level. I even did the trigonometry with where it hit the net and got a few degrees higher than what the skytrak was registering. The only thing I haven't done is try a different ball. The only ball I've tried is a pro v1

Comment

• Ken Robie
      Ken Robie commented
      Editing a comment
      Allen2be, so where are you located in Michigan? I'm way up in Da UP in Gwinn, to bloody cold.

• allen2be
      allen2be commented
      Editing a comment
      Down by Saginaw area. Go Modeltowners! Heard quite a few Michigan guys with Skytraks on here.

• Lawyer
      Lawyer commented
      Editing a comment
      I am using both Prov1 and Nike balls but same results and issues

Skytrak needs to be at the exact height of your mat. If it's higher you may get lower launch angles. Also try teeing the ball up directly behind the laser and see if that solves it. It did for me!

Comment

• allen2be
      allen2be commented
      Editing a comment
      I will experiment a little with the height of my skytrak, because I do have a CCE mat inserted into my stance platform, but if it isn't exactly the same height, it has to be within about an eight of an inch. Thanks for the ideas, I appreciate it.

Indeed the unit is at the same level of the mat and I already teed 1 inch behind the laser dot (to the right looking at my position at address). Before asking to the forum I used these precautions. But now I don't know what to do else

Comment

Do you guys that have experienced problems like this or other find differences by using software like TGC or other? Will the issues fix using these?

Comment

• allen2be
        allen2be commented
        Editing a comment
        It's the same for me on the Skytrak range and TGC. I also have tried the tee being behind the laser, which doesn't seem to change anything. I also have shiny outside toe to my driver, so I put some hockey tape on it, which seems to help the low dead pull hooks that show up even when the ball hits the center of my net.

So it's possible that no one else has an issue like this? Only my unit gives problems with the launch angle? I know for certaon that spin and direction are precise. What do you guys suggest me to do at this point? Return it or not?

Comment

When hitting driver, try raising the SkyTrak above the hitting surface the same amount you tee the ball up such that the laser dot is between the ball and tee top. I recall reading this when doing some research on ST problems before committing to buy a unit. The post or article mentioned about having to use a riser block when using driver. Seems like this would make sense but I won't have my ST until next week to verify.

Comment

Red dot an inch or two in front of tee down the line, clean new ball with logo facing skytrak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Lawyer
            Lawyer commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. When you say "Red dot an inch or two in front of tee down the line" you mean the ball must be placed on the right of the red dot given my address position (I am a right player)? Is that correct? Thanks again. Bye

I have never experienced low launch angles with my SkyTrak unless I hit a really poor shot. And even then I'm not sure I'm as low as a seven, but possible. I know I've hit 9-10 several times. But I've also been as high as 18-20. So sounds like possibly you may need to contact SkyTrak and see if they can't help you on that one???

Comment

There is a manual method one can use to get a reasonable launch angle number. It involves using a high speed camera behind the golfer such that the point the ball contacts the screen can be observed.

The height of that impact point is measured. I find using the center of the ball and the impact point works best. Measure the height the center of the ball hits the screen. Subtracted from that height, the height the center of the ball starts on the tee. That will give you the impact height. The distance from the tee to the screen is measured. One must then divide the height of impact by the distance to the screen and then find the angle who's tangent is that number in degrees. That will represent the launch angle.

Ball spin, speed and distance to the screen can effect the results, but for low launch angle clubs and higher ball speeds I have found this method to yield reliable results.

Comment

the most obvious is making sure the ST is level, that can play havoc on the launch angle. I am sure you did that also
              My Courses: all are LiDAR
              Wilkshire LiDAR
              Glenmoor
              Brookside LiDAR
              Shady Hollow CC​

Comment

OP... Trying spraying your face on the driver. If you are catching it low on the face with driver that will produce a low launch. Not sure on the difference between 3W & D.

Comment

• Lawyer
                  Lawyer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Which kind of spray should I use?

A spray for athletes foot. It shows a great impress of the ball. You can see where it struck and how solidly. Wipes right off... Cheap and fast

Comment

I just got my skytrak set up today. The highest launch i had with any club was 30 deg with my 58deg wedge. My 5 iron was only launching 13 to 14 deg. Im not sure but these numbers seem pretty low. On the course i launch the ball at a medium trajectory def not low. Does this seem out of wack? My ST was sitting directly on my mat.

Comment

Having your Skytrak on your mat will throw the readings off. Place the base of the Skytrak at the same height just off the mat and see if it gets better.

Comment

Working...
                    X