need help with computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need help with computer

what would be best computer running sims low end specks and high end specks would like to buy good high end with out over kill

Which sim are you planning to run?

Comment

I7 8gig ram and 1060 6GB would be good but there is better

Comment

I have a pretty low end build with a A8-5600k and GTX 950 Strix card and it runs TGC great in full screen mode. Running TGC in windowed mode makes it run like crap, however. Seen a lot of comments on here about people saying windowed mode is the way to go, but I have absolutely zero problems running full screen and of course it looks better with no window border.

Comment

Mine may be overkill for now, but I wanted it to likely remain fully functional through future TGC software upgrades. It's a Alienware i7 with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 with 8GB GDDR5X, and Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6820HK (Quad-Core, 8MB Cache, Dynamically Overclocked up to 4.1GHz), 32GB DDR4-2400MHz. 512 GB SS boot drive, so it boots and loads TGC or the ST range software quickly.

Comment

GmanJeff have you ever clocked the impact to display time on a video? Not gonna get much faster than your setup with today's technology, I would think. I'd be curious if you're able to get close to the mystical 2 seconds delay from ball impact to shot display. (I know there are claims of 1 second from a couple of people, but I think that's total bs- even Seth has said 2 seconds is about the practical minimum). Anyway- very curious if you are at the minimum with that PC setup on the ST range.
            Last edited by TorchRedRob; 01-05-2017, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Reddit has some great guides on PC builds. i7 is not needed for most gaming applications. GPU is top priority. See below:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...ki_the_crusher

edit: "The exterminator" would work well for most sims, while "The end all" should run sims on max settings. I just bought parts for the exterminator build. I'll let you know how it runs. I should be assembling on Saturday.
              Last edited by Gobluemason; 01-05-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

thanks to all that posted got very good info I have checked the dell alienware had a dell once really like it had been on line looking but hadn't seen the laptop dell

Comment

Originally posted by TorchRedRob View Post
                  GmanJeff have you ever clocked the impact to display time on a video? Not gonna get much faster than your setup with today's technology, I would think. I'd be curious if you're able to get close to the mystical 2 seconds delay from ball impact to shot display. (I know there are claims of 1 second from a couple of people, but I think that's total bs- even Seth has said 2 seconds is about the practical minimum). Anyway- very curious if you are at the minimum with that PC setup on the ST range.
                  I have not attempted to clock the impact to display time, as it was not something which bothered me much previously. I can try to measure it and report back. My main goals with the new machine were faster computer boot and ST (and TGC) program opening when I wanted to use my ST, and smooth motion and visuals with TGC at uncompromised detail settings.

Comment

Is it also safe to assume that future versions of TGC, such as TGC2, will continue to require better computer specs? My brother will probably build my system in the future, will be something like a i7 6700 HQ, 2.6 quad core, 16 gb and GTX 1060 6 gb. I would like to think something similar should run at good quality settings for a long time...hpoefully

Comment

thanks again for info "?" is there any need for DVD reader drive for the sims games

Comment

Originally posted by GmanJeff View Post

I have not attempted to clock the impact to display time, as it was not something which bothered me much previously. I can try to measure it and report back. My main goals with the new machine were faster computer boot and ST (and TGC) program opening when I wanted to use my ST, and smooth motion and visuals with TGC at uncompromised detail settings.
                        It would be cool to know, for sure. I'm especially curious to compare it to my last-generation i7 4790k and see if there is much difference.

Comment

3 - 4 seconds on the ST range. Motion is very smooth, and detail is crisp, but impact-to-shot-being-displayed time isn't 2 seconds, for me, anyway. I am connected through USB, but am not sure if the connection method would affect that time.

Comment

Originally posted by leoapd View Post
                            Is it also safe to assume that future versions of TGC, such as TGC2, will continue to require better computer specs? My brother will probably build my system in the future, will be something like a i7 6700 HQ, 2.6 quad core, 16 gb and GTX 1060 6 gb. I would like to think something similar should run at good quality settings for a long time...hpoefully
                            I think your money would be better spent buying an i5 with a GTX 1070. For gaming/sim purposes that would serve you much better. Just do a little googling on i5 vs i7 for gaming. The benefit of i7 is mainly for video editing and what not. Just my two cents.

Comment

• aeroburner
                              aeroburner commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Intel Core i7 is a high-end processor and is more appropriate than the i5 processors for certain intensive tasks, such as data crunching, graphics and video editing, and PC gaming. i7 processors feature a larger cache, hyper-threading, and a higher clock speed. if you have the choice move to the I7 if your going after the 4k on TGC2 look at the grapics card specs to support, but beware as projectors are not budget friendly and screens are no where to be found just yet
                              Last edited by aeroburner; 01-06-2017, 03:48 PM.

Originally posted by GmanJeff View Post
                            3 - 4 seconds on the ST range. Motion is very smooth, and detail is crisp, but impact-to-shot-being-displayed time isn't 2 seconds, for me, anyway. I am connected through USB, but am not sure if the connection method would affect that time.
                            Thanks for checking it out for me. I'm in the same 3 +/- second range. I don't see how it would ever get less than that without firmware changes (it seems our PC hardware is not the limiting factor, I mean). I have not seen any difference in time between wifi vs usb, by the way.

Again, thanks for running this test. I was curious if a faster processor made any difference, but it sounds like my 4790k is not the bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
                            X