Newbie thread?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie thread?

Is there an up to date thread out there concerning setup of skytrak, ball position, and other helpful tips for new skytrak users? If so can someone link it?

Thanks.

Noob

Sadly, no. You'll have to search, and hope you use search terms which correspond to the content you're looking for. The most common related topic which is not well addressed by ST itself on their site seems to concern connecting the device between computer and router (USB vs. wi-fi), router settings, etc.

Some users claim changes to ball position affects whether or not certain shots are consistently read by the device, but others just say to place it within a inch or two of the red laser dot (which has worked fine for all shots in my personal experience). Some percentage of no-read shots is typical regardless of connection method or ball placement - the reason for this is a mystery, as is the often-reported finding that wi-fi connections tend to experience this less than USB connections.

Another common topic is alignment - most users report that the internal alignment feature seems to provide guidance which is inconsistent with the physical alignment of the ST box. In the end, the majority of us have elected to trust the alignment laser reading, and consequently have our ST boxes aligned slightly to the right in order to achieve what appears to be the correct alignment as shown by the laser indicators.

Lastly, protection for the device - most here would agree that an unprotected ST is risky, especially given the proximity of the device to ball placement position. A mis-hit can destroy the unit, as some here have discovered. ST sells a hard plastic case with leveling feet, but it has been known to break when struck. Some forumites have designed and built their own protective enclosures for their personal use, while others are making their designs available for purchase by anyone who would like one.
    Last edited by GmanJeff; 01-15-2017, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I personally have had no problem initially getting skytrak setup and working.

I have experienced 5 to 10 percent no-reads. Seems to happen most on a flushed shot. It always picks up my bad hits such as fat or thin shots. I had my unit setting directly on my mat. Apparently thats not recommended so ill do something different today.

I am using it without a protective case at the moment, but the FMJ case is en-route. I have shanked one, it came nowhere close to hitting the ST.

I am wishing they gave a free trial period on the Game Improvement package. I would like to try it out before I give them another 100 bucks.

Comment

Most users do suggest keeping the ST on a different surface than the one you're hitting from, to prevent any potential movement of the device caused by the club striking the mat.

I have shanked shots into the ST, as have others, so the metal case is probably a prudent investment! In my case, I have broken a big chunk out of the plastic factory case, and the latch has fallen off.

A trial period would be consumer-friendly, but no dice on that. The GIP is obligatory if you want to use simulation software like TGC, E6, etc., and makes even basic range practice more engaging, so I suspect most buyers cave in and cough up for it. It's a clever, albeit annoying, ploy by ST, since it provides the company with a continuing income stream long after the device itself has been purchased. They employ a similar model for updates to their GPS watch products, which is why I bought a Garmin S20 - updates in perpetuity are part of the Garmin purchase price, which is more palatable to me than the annual subscription required to update SkyCaddie products.
        Last edited by GmanJeff; 01-15-2017, 08:48 PM.

Comment

New user here. Any suggestions as to why I'm only able to get 10 FPS on the SkyTrak driving range and in TGC? Computer info: Gtx1080, i7 6700k, Asus 4k gaming monitor w/ gsync

Comment

• keither5150
            keither5150 commented
            Editing a comment
            Make sure that you are not plugged into the motherboards video. Also, a GTX1080 will not play TGC with everything maxed out, no matter what anyone tells you. Keep turning down the settings until you have 60FPS 95% of the time.

• IAhawkeyeDDS
            IAhawkeyeDDS commented
            Editing a comment
            Turned g-sync off on the monitor and problem solved. In my reasearch it appears as though nVidia is having issues with gsync and gtx1080s not playing nicely. Without gsync I cruise along at consistent 60 fps - medium settings and 4K resolution.

The new ST is working good. Still have a few questions if anyone can help. Using ST thru USB to PC. Is there any way to reset your average distance and ball traces after changing clubs? I dont have GIP just the practice range.

Another odd quirk, if I select dynamic view or 50 shot trace, I cant go back to regualr view or single shot unless reset the session.

Comment

To reset the driving range go to the menu in the top right and select "start new session". I can't remember what sub-menu that button is in, but I believe it's the top one.

Comment

i used my Skytrak for the first time last night and most of my shots were going left of target. My standard driving range miss are usually weak fades, however last night i was missing the target some 20 yards left....with a pitching wedge. As i made some tweaks to the alignment my shots started to move closer to the target, but i don't want to get in the habit of moving the skytrak to adjust for wayward shots.

Any tips for ensuring the ST is aligned properly, relative to your stance?

Comment

Im a new skytrak user myself. First time posting. So far so good. Im loving having a simulator in my garage and so far Skytrak + JNPG is great! I do have about 10% miss reads. And yes, I can concur that it always seems to happen when I flush a perfect shot. I have noticed this behavior in both the wifi and USB configurations. I did an unscientific test using a stopwatch to time the shot delay differences between USB and wifi. For 25 shots each, i found on my set up, wifi averages about 3.8 seconds between actual shot and app display. With USB I actually found it to be a hair faster at 3.6 seconds. Keep in mind im using a hand held stopwatch and the discrepancy could be slow reaction time. I notice about the same number of miss reads with both connection methods. Im sticking with wifi just from what Ive read on the forums but still have it connected to USB for power.

In Perfect Golf Im having trouble reading short 3/4 lob wedge shots. I will hit several before one registers. This happens both with USB and wifi. Im experimenting with ball placement but havent found one for short shots and chips that works consistently. Also for me the putting is incredibly fast. Even at the slowest green setting, I will hit what i feel is a 3 ft putt to have it go about 9 ft. So I basically divide by 3 to get an idea of putting speed.

Other than that I love my set up! I feel like a touring pro with such a swanky set up. Thanks for all the tips on this forum!

Comment

Im still getting occasional no-reads as well. Now that my ST is in the FMJ protective case and no longer on the mat, I was hoping that would be eliminated. At least it is no worse. From what I can tell the FMJ case is of no detriment to the ST.

Comment

Hey All,

I got my ST about a month ago and set it up in my basement, hitting of the carpet into a Net Return. I was experiencing about a 10% No read swing, where the red dot just stays there and no data recorded or shown on my iPad. We were doing closest to the pin, target challenge, having a blast. I returned from vacation yesterday, tried the closest to the hole WGT challenge, had two good reads and then nothing. 30 swings with no read. I have gone back to the ST app driving range. I am able to get connected, get the red dot and then i will only get a good read on about 1 in 15 shots. It's horrible. I really haven't changed anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

I am starting to wonder if I should pay skytrak for the extended warranty

Comment

I have been using the ST with only the driving range mode. It doesnt give you shit but I dont really want to pay another 100 per year for GIP.

What sim software options are available for PC and what do they cost? Do any of them work without an internet connection?

Comment

Just got the skytrak a week ago and am trying to remain optimistic that it will work well once setup correctly. Very disappointed with the unusual connection issues via usb I’ve read about and experienced as well.

How easy is it to register a new computer once it’s been registered on one.. ie if you upgrade PC?

Does JNPC still work with Skytrak?

I’m looking forward to practicing and playing.. and not having setup or gameplay issues .. for this kind of money it should work flawlessly.

Thanks.

Comment

• Derek Flower
                            Derek Flower commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Can you tell me about the USB connection and what issues you are having. I just bought my ST and don't have internet for the time being. I was going to use USB connection and have read mixed reviews. Some good and some bad.
                        Working...
                        X