SkyTrack doesn't have distance issues - it could be your mat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SkyTrack doesn't have distance issues - it could be your mat

The goal of this study was to show how inconsistent distances can actually be when practicing on the Driving Range. One of the reasons for this is the large discrepancies between different types of…

on some mats - ball distances can travel up to 10-15% less due to balls generating more spin off of mats vs. grass

Food for thought on some people complaining about distance issues with irons

There is not doubt mats play a big part in this!

Comment

Thanks for posting this blog/article. I use the Real Feel CCE mat and it is quite bouncy. It really helps with the reduction of injuries caused by continuous hitting from a mat, but i often wondered how much additional spin i put on my shots as a result of the forgiveness of the mat. It would really be nice to see them test different types of hitting mats so we have a better barometer of which mats are the best to use when trying to replicate hitting shots from the fairway or driving range.

Comment

• aeroburner
        aeroburner commented
        Editing a comment
        cce help with elbows and wrists I do not thinks so, cce is the most punishing mat out there

• Jason Barto
        Jason Barto commented
        Editing a comment
        I completely disagree with the assertion the CCE is the most punishing mat out there. There is a reason it's arguably the best mat on the market.

Hate to play devil's advocate, but here's an article done with the CCE vs grass that shows the opposite: http://blog.trackmangolf.com/mats-vs...ts-difference/

Launch higher with less spin when hit off mats vs grass, if you are to follow this article.

Comment

• SomaPLR
        SomaPLR commented
        Editing a comment
        Both studies show less club speed, consistently. I have ZERO idea how that guy is getting his balls to spin that much less unintentionally.

So the underlying issue is probably the human element. Robot is the only way to eliminate this so not sure this will ever happen. Would be nice though.

Comment

• SomaPLR
        SomaPLR commented
        Editing a comment
        Mostly likely - it's just another variable that isn't talked about much on here. It's always ST blame on short distances - which I have found it usually isn't.

Correct - neither is a tell all story or template. There are a lot of variables in the equation - especially on the swing pattern of the golfers tested. I for, one, spin the ball a lot more off a mat than this guy, as you can see here...my spin numbers for a 7i are in the 7800 range....same as this guys outside numbers. Granted I am using a 712 CB iron, which has weaker lofts than the AP2...but I have ZERO idea how he's getting his spin numbers that low. I have a 5x5 CCE real feel mat. I spin the ball in the 7000-7200 range off grass on average. Great points, my point is being that there are a lot more factors playing than just SkyTrack. User element error off a mat could be he's developing more of a picking sensation vs grass. Not intentional, but subconsciously different swings probably in some user cases.
      Last edited by SomaPLR; 01-17-2017, 07:21 PM.

Comment

100% true
        inhad a squishy thick mat when I first got my skytrak and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why my 7 iron was going like 20 yards short everytime.. got myself a new driving range type mat and everything is spot on now tonwhat I see on course. 150 on average with some going around 160 when I swing a little bit extra

Comment

So what mats give the most real results? I'm still in the process of getting a new one.

Comment

I think there are too many individual swing variables to say which one is most real.

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty View Post
              So what mats give the most real results? I'm still in the process of getting a new one.
              First and foremost...there is nothing like hitting off real grass. That being said...depending on what you're looking for there are mats that are better than others. If you don't take big divots and or are looking for a mat that will significantly punish your distance(to practice making ball first contact)....look into the CCE. I don't take big divots but my wrist still started to hurt after a while, hitting on a mat like the CCE. If you tend to take bigger divots or want something more forgiving on your wrists/elbow/joints.....something like the fiberbuilt is a better option.

Comment

Something else to consider is how much "squish" a mat has where you stand. That is a huge selling point for me. You can sink into a CCE or CCE-type mat pretty deep unless you weigh like 130lbs. Even then, after hitting 100 of the same iron in the same stance, you'll still probably be sunk down a half inch.

Comment

• goatbarn
                  goatbarn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Isn't that what happens on grass?

I don't know, I have the CCE and love it. Super plush and gives me feedback on mishits...which I think is what you want. If I want to hit fats shots but still have good results, I'll go to the driving range on their 1/8" thick mats over concrete.

• SomaPLR
                  SomaPLR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm 235 lbs and I don't feel like I sink into the mat. I move off of it after ever shot, however. Grass has more give than the CCE mat in my opinion. I don't think the CCE mat is all that soft actually or has that much give. Like said above, if I hurt my wrist or my elbow on CCE (a mat that is padded but not all that forgiving) you are super steep and which is not good.

• TorchRedRob
                  TorchRedRob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My experience on a 5x5 monster mat and a CCE is that I create shoe divots (more so on the monster mat). I don't have as much experience on the CCE- it probably does compress less due to the different construction compared to the monster, but both mats seem to allow more foot twist than grass or hard mats. I think the best combo is a more firm stance mat with the strike area of your choosing.

I have the DivotAction mat and love it! I play a minimum of 150 shots a day with little or no pain in my wrists and elbows. It also gives accurate feedback on shots, especially when hit fat. You can tell if you caught mat first and the distance reflects it. my 2 cents...

Comment

I think if you are getting injured on a CCE matt you have a poor swing or mechanics for the long haul. With that being said they do allow you to settle into the matt if you like to "take Root" when you practice on the larger matts. They do make a "stance" matt that does not settle at all but still affords great grip for your foot wear of choice. Has anyone tested ball carry numbers when having the ball Teed up flush with the matt like you would play a normal iron off the tee box?? This should totally eliminate the matt equation no??

Comment

Working...
                  X