automatic swing recording and slow motion playback with kinovea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• automatic swing recording and slow motion playback with kinovea

I figured I should start a new topic because the other thread has gotten a little long and confusing. Primarily I don't want anyone to think I am using ps3eye cameras for a dual recording setup. i've had a couple of people contact me after purchasing two ps3eyes cameras, asking how to get them working with the dual recording script. while you can get it to work, it is not easy to do. If you are looking to do a 2 camera setup, skip the ps3eye cameras. I would recommend the OV2710 usb cameras from eBay that will do 100fps at 640x480 (does not do 120fps as advertised). There are many lens options and what works for you will depend on how far away you will be placing the cameras. These run at around $40-50.

If you are looking for a very cheap 1 camera setup the ps3eye is great. Picture quality and frame rate aren't the best and getting 2 to work in kinovea is a pain but they cost less than $10.

you can run one ps3eye and one OV2710 camera together. i did this for a few months. in this video the ps3eye cam is on the right and the OV2710 is on the left. you can see that the ps3eye is grainy and at 60fps, it is not great but does the job. in addition to a sharper picture and increased fps, another reason I ended up getting two OV2710 cameras is because with one video at 60fps and one at 100fps I couldn't sync the videos up.

Here is what it looks like using 2 of the OV2710 cameras.

the way it all works is based around kinovea's live delay feature. if you set the delay to 3 seconds, whatever the cameras see in real time shows up on screen 3 seconds later. if you only want to see your swing once, in real time, you could just run kinovea on a second monitor and set the delay to suit your needs. my autoit script automates the recording and playback process. the sound of impact triggers the script which starts and stops the recordings in kinovea, then opens the recordings in vlc. this means that two 6-7mb files are created every time you hit a ball, so you do need to watch your disk space. it works great for me and a few others here on this forum. before I did this, I took a lot of videos with my phone and while the video quality on any modern phone or tablet is far superior to the OV2710 cameras, it is so much more convenient this way.

what you need to run a two camera setup is the following:
    a good computer (if it can run tgc smoothly, you should be ok)
    2 cameras (either 1 ps3eye and 1 OV2710 or 2 OV2710's)
    active usb extension cable
    audiozonetrigger https://www.zonetrigger.com/sound-detection/
    microphone
    kinovea version 0.8.15 (other versions will not work)
    vlc media player
    my autoit script

the software is free except for audiozone trigger with costs $25. for hardware costs, you have 2 cameras at $50 each, a microphone for $10, and a usb active extension for $10, so all in $145.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by inorkuo; 12-11-2017, 06:49 PM.

There are a lot of choices all similarly priced by ELP.

For face on you probably need 2.1mm non fisheye, or smaller number if you can find it. If you have the PS eye camera you can do a comparison using a calculator. I believe that's a 1/4" sensor and the OV2710 is a larger 1/2.7" sensor. I would suggest finding a camera that you already have and then use a lens calculator to decide what focal length lens you will need for the OV2710 sensor. I used the below lens calculator to decide.

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator/#{"c":[{"f":13,"av":"8","fl":50,"d":3048,"cm":"0"}],"m":0}

I went with this version of the OV2710 because it included a case and has a CS lens mount. It's easier to find a cheap CS lens with a large aperture for better light performance since most of us are playing in dark conditions.

Buy ELP 4mm Lens Prototype Camera: Surveillance Cameras - Amazon.com ✓ FREE DELIVERY possible on eligible purchases

Comment

• cooke23
      cooke23 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have 2 2.1mm ones and they work great for both DTL and FO angles. The FO is best if you can get it more than 4ft away but mines at like 2ft away from ball position and I can see what I need to see on it. I angle mine down to ball

Originally posted by Joshua Herskovic View Post
    There are a lot of choices all similarly priced by ELP.

For face on you probably need 2.1mm non fisheye, or smaller number if you can find it. If you have the PS eye camera you can do a comparison using a calculator. I believe that's a 1/4" sensor and the OV2710 is a larger 1/2.7" sensor. I would suggest finding a camera that you already have and then use a lens calculator to decide what focal length lens you will need for the OV2710 sensor. I used the below lens calculator to decide.

https://www.pointsinfocus.com/tools/depth-of-field-and-equivalent-lens-calculator/#{"c":[{"f":13,"av":"8","fl":50,"d":3048,"cm":"0"}],"m":0}

I went with this version of the OV2710 because it included a case and has a CS lens mount. It's easier to find a cheap CS lens with a large aperture for better light performance since most of us are playing in dark conditions.

Not many positive reviews for this camera. Do you have a video you can post? I'm curious to see what output you get from the camera.

Comment

I should receive it this weekend. Its the same camera as the others so I'll let you know.

Comment

• Jai
        Jai commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm looking forward to reading your review. Thanks.

Well, the camera looks and feels very nice. The aluminum case makes it feel like a true industrial camera and more importantly has a tripod mount.

However, I am seeing no improvement over the PS3 eye. Picture is very dark and if I increase the gain for improvement it just becomes grainy with little color. I've spent a fair amount of time working on the settings in Kinovea and I also tried another similar OV2710 camera which was just the board and a 2.8mm lens (m12 mount) and I get a similar result. Even reducing the frame rate to 60 fps doesn't provide improvement. The exposure is the limiting factor and anything fast enough to freeze action produces a poor picture. If you are actually OK with the quality of the cameras picture then I would recommend the version I received with the full metal case and tripod mount. However, in your case you would also need a 2.1mm lens (CS mount with that case). I have a point grey flea3 with a 1/2" sensor and that camera blows away these cameras in that dark environment. It's firewire and I cannot get it to work with Kinovea. Can anyone comment on their settings for the ov2710 camera especially what setting they use for exposure and can anyone comment if they're using any additional lighting to improve the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by sittnndukk66 View Post
        I keep getting the same error that bbjr was getting in post 26... I followed the all the steps multiple times, but can't get rid of this error. Any ideas? Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	1758
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	147640
        I got the same error, but was able to install it by:

Save the Audiozonetriggerinstaller.exe file
        Right click the .exe and Run as Administrator.
        Worked fine after this.

Comment

Finished getting this set up and it is working great! Thanks for all the hard work on this, the youtube tutorial was extremely helpful.
          One setting in VLC I had to change was the Continue playback? mine was set to ask by default, needed to change it to always.

Comment

This thread has been fantastic. I am just about there. I have my swings recording upon triggering the sound. I just cannot get the playback aspect to work. Has anyone had issues with that? VLC is not launching at all.

Comment

• inorkuo
              inorkuo commented
              Editing a comment
              In case others run into this issue, I wrote the script using the 32 bit version of vlc. If you use the 64 bit version it won’t work.

Will a 2.8-12 mm camera lens work 4 to 6 foot DTL and FO?

Amazon.com: ELP 2.8-12mm Varifocal Lens HD 1080P Webcam for Mac: Computers & Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Boverton View Post
              Will a 2.8-12 mm camera lens work 4 to 6 foot DTL and FO?

i have a 2.1mm lens and have my dtl camera 9ft away.

Comment

• Boverton
                Boverton commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok so the Amazon purchase doesn’t sound like an option. I’ll grab the 2.1off ebay.
                ​​​​​​​Thanks.

Has anyone tried the OV4689 from KAYETON. Looks like they just started selling via Amazon.

Resolution & frame :

1920X1080 MJPEG 60fps

1280X720 MJPEG 120fps

640X360 MJPEG 330fps

Edit:
              Ordered and will post results.
              Last edited by htdumps; 09-04-2018, 01:09 AM. Reason: b/c can't wait

Comment

• Stingreye
                Stingreye commented
                Editing a comment
                If it’s not too late to cancel, I have 2 I am not using.

• htdumps
                htdumps commented
                Editing a comment
                Too late to cancel, any reason why you are not using them? Did they work well with Kinovea?

• Stingreye
                Stingreye commented
                Editing a comment
                They are sold now. The cameras didn’t perform well in my dimly lit sim room. They require a lot of light to get a decent image. The Logitech BRIO’s performance in low light conditions sold me on that one. In experimental kinovea it will do 120 FPS at lower resolution.

Hi! I ordered the ELP USB with 2.1 mm Lens and it has been great for the front on view. I have about 3 to 4 feet so not much room but his does pretty well. I can't get the entire swing in the picture but most of it.

My DTL view is about 10 feet so my question is should I only order a 2.8 mm Lens for DTL instead of the same 2.1 mm? I am currently using PS3 but find it very very grainy compared to my ELP 2.1 mm camera. Thanks!

Comment

• htdumps
                htdumps commented
                Editing a comment
                Have you tried a 1.8mm lens for the front view? Im in a similar space situation.

• StodgyBarley
                StodgyBarley commented
                Editing a comment
                No... never tried a 1.8 mm. Did you get one in the end?

• htdumps
                htdumps commented
                Editing a comment
                Not yet the cameras I have are working close range.

Got the cameras they work except for one hiccup on the script. Unfortunately Kinovea 8.15 only allows for a delay of the OV4689 to be set to 2 seconds. On the experimental builds I am able to delay up to 20 seconds. Using the script with the older version of Kinovea the swing gets recorded too short. Thanks again for this amazing script!!! If you are still developing it let me know I have some ideas that could help out others. If anyone has questions about the cameras let me know.
              Last edited by htdumps; 09-07-2018, 09:54 PM.

Comment

• htdumps
                htdumps commented
                Editing a comment
                The 8.15 limits the ram to 1024

• inorkuo
                inorkuo commented
                Editing a comment
                with two of the ov2710 cameras at 640x480 at 120fps i can get 4 seconds of live delay with the stable version of kinovea so it makes sense that at 330fps, it would be cut in half. i played with the expermental version of kinovea and it would crash with two logitech brio's running at 120fps. at 90fps, it was a better but would still crash after several recordings. are you using one camera or two?

• htdumps
                htdumps commented
                Editing a comment
                Two cameras. Have you tried 8.26 it has been really stable.

Update: The cameras are very sensitive to light. After moving them into the hitting room the LED overhead lights made them completely unusable at 330fps (tremendous flickering). Anyone have recommendation for lighting for high fps shooting?

Update 2: 6500k t8 fluorescent bulbs work great.
              Last edited by htdumps; 09-09-2018, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Here is a face on view.

Comment

here is the script updated for kinovea experimental version 8.26.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• inorkuo
                    inorkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    32bit version of vlc or 64?

• htdumps
                    htdumps commented
                    Editing a comment
                    32 bit version

• inorkuo
                    inorkuo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It’s probably something to do with the file naming. Try changing the file names to “1 - 2” and “3 - 4”.
                Working...
                X