Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How heavy (or light) are Fiberbuilt mats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How heavy (or light) are Fiberbuilt mats?

I'm looking at buying one of the 4x5 Fiberbuilt mat systems. Not the studio mat with the EPS pods, but one of the traditional ones with the single piece rubber base.

If someone has one of these, can you tell me how heavy it is? Since my sim room doubles as a home gym, I need to be able to store the mat when not in use. Am I going to be able to pick this thing up and lean it against a wall (or potentially hang it on the wall using heavy duty hooks)? Or is it just too heavy to move around?

It is heavy duty and not something you would want to be moving around. You would be better off finding a roll up stance mat like a Country Club Elite with a 4x1 Fiberbuilt strip to the side.

Comment

Originally posted by grant2145 View Post
      It is heavy duty and not something you would want to be moving around. You would be better off finding a roll up stance mat like a Country Club Elite with a 4x1 Fiberbuilt strip to the side.
      How heavy though? I don't need to move it far, just need to pick it up and move it about 5 feet to the wall. I was thinking I could pick up the pieces separately (hitting strip, stance mat, rubber mat) to make it lighter to move?

Comment

I think my 6x4 double sided performance mat is around 80lbs. The rubber base sections are connected with zip ties making it awkward to move.

Comment

I think my 6x4 double sided performance mat is around 80lbs. The rubber base sections are connected with zip ties making it awkward to move.
          Yours has the EPS pods though right?

Comment

• grant2145
            grant2145 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes mine it, I would think a single rubber piece would be easier to move around

I have one of the new styles where they have separate rubber base pieces (I believe mine is made up of 12-14 squares) - they use a locking rubber pieces to keep the various base pieces together (no zip ties). Mine is the 10 x 4 and is very heavy - I cannot even shift it on the carpet. While you can definitely dis-assemble to move it, I would not want to do that daily! I also have a CCE mat - super easy to move around but I personally hate the mat (very tough on joints, etc.). Here is the FB mat I recently purchased.

Comment

• garalf
            garalf commented
            Editing a comment
            Carl,
            Why did you choose 10 x 4 rather than 5 x 4?

Originally posted by Carl Johnson View Post
          I have one of the new styles where they have separate rubber base pieces (I believe mine is made up of 12-14 squares) - they use a locking rubber pieces to keep the various base pieces together (no zip ties). Mine is the 10 x 4 and is very heavy - I cannot even shift it on the carpet. While you can definitely dis-assemble to move it, I would not want to do that daily! I also have a CCE mat - super easy to move around but I personally hate the mat (very tough on joints, etc.). Here is the FB mat I recently purchased.
          https://athome.fiberbuiltgolf.com/co...ing-studio-mat
          Yeah, that would be pretty heavy I imagine. Here is the one I'm looking at, it's about half the size...

Comment

• Carl Johnson
            Carl Johnson commented
            Editing a comment
            That is basically part of the mat I purchased - they just add more squares and more carpet to get to the size I ordered. Both mats are very similar to each other. You will not be disappointed.

I have the 6 X 4 Double Hitting Mat Traditional Stance & Nylon Grass. It's about 120 pounds. I can slide it around ok but it might be awkward to pickup the rubber base and lean it against a wall. It's pretty pliable and came rolled up. Hanging it would be pretty tough.

Comment

Seems like the CCE mat just for a stance mat would be a costly option since you aren't hitting off of it. I have the Fiberbuilt 1 x 4 strip and just took a piece of plywood, put some Lowes foam shop flooring squares on top and stapled some astroturf over the whole thing. Probably less than a $ 60-70 for the whole stance mat and the shop flooring interlocking squares two deep raise the stance mat to the same height as the Fiberbuilt. My $.02.

Comment

• garalf
              garalf commented
              Editing a comment
              Can you post a pic please?

Originally posted by scottmizo View Post
            I have the 6 X 4 Double Hitting Mat Traditional Stance & Nylon Grass. It's about 120 pounds. I can slide it around ok but it might be awkward to pickup the rubber base and lean it against a wall. It's pretty pliable and came rolled up. Hanging it would be pretty tough.
            Do you think it would be possible to hang if I drilled a couple of holes in the rubber base? Or is it just too pliable and heavy?

Comment

• scottmizo
              scottmizo commented
              Editing a comment
              Too pliable and heavy. I don't think it would work.

Originally posted by trhuke View Post

Seems like the CCE mat just for a stance mat would be a costly option since you aren't hitting off of it. I have the Fiberbuilt 1 x 4 strip and just took a piece of plywood, put some Lowes foam shop flooring squares on top and stapled some astroturf over the whole thing. Probably less than a $ 60-70 for the whole stance mat and the shop flooring interlocking squares two deep raise the stance mat to the same height as the Fiberbuilt. My $.02.
            I was thinking of doing something like this as an alternative if it's not possible to move the Fiberbuilt. Can you post some pictures and a link to the foam squares you used?

Comment

You could not drill holes into the FB to hang it - it would fall apart back into it's original pieces. If you did what trhuke mentions above (wooden hitting area) adjacent to a 1x4 FB hitting strip - you might be able to hang those in 2 pieces. If purchased separately, the 1x4 FB hitting strip comes in a metal frame so it can be lifted up & removed in one piece. It is those rubber base pieces that will cause you the biggest issue when trying to move around - they are heavy and rather floppy!

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Johnson View Post
                You could not drill holes into the FB to hang it - it would fall apart back into it's original pieces. If you did what trhuke mentions above (wooden hitting area) adjacent to a 1x4 FB hitting strip - you might be able to hang those in 2 pieces. If purchased separately, the 1x4 FB hitting strip comes in a metal frame so it can be lifted up & removed in one piece. It is those rubber base pieces that will cause you the biggest issue when trying to move around - they are heavy and rather floppy!
                What do you mean it would fall apart back into its original pieces? It's all one piece...

Attached Files

Comment

• Carl Johnson
                  Carl Johnson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That is entirely different than my FB mat - base material. My 4 x 10 center stance mat is made from at least 10 separate rubber base pieces, then the carpet and hitting strips sit on top. Similar rubber material to your photo but my base material is made up of a bunch of square jigsaw pieces (roughly 12" x 12" each).

• abenjami
                  abenjami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yeah, that's their new performance base setup to replace the styrofoam EPS pods. But it's not available in the smaller mats like 4x5.

Originally posted by abenjami View Post

I was thinking of doing something like this as an alternative if it's not possible to move the Fiberbuilt. Can you post some pictures and a link to the foam squares you used?
                https://www.walmart.com/ip/Everyday-...d0&athena=true

I have a 4 x 5 piece of 3/8 plywood for a base, then a layer of this 3/4 inch foam tile, wrapped it in green felt-like outdoor carpeting from Lowes which makes a 4 x 5 foot stance mat.. When it is all put together it matches the height of the Fiberbuilt 1 x 3 hitting strip (which I LOVE) within an 1/8 inch. Easy enough to drill a hole in it and hang it on the wall if you want. It's not light but it won't be that hard to lift. I took a masonry bit and drilled two holes through one end and then down into the garage floor to keep the mat from shifting then just dropped a couple of (removable) round head bolts through to lock it in place. Works like a charm, cost you less than $50 I'd guess.
                I set it up that way so my wife could actually use the garage for her CAR (go figure?) in crummy weather, I just pick it up and lean it against a wall. Have the net on a U shaped curtain track and run that out of the way, presto, takes about two minutes. Domestic bliss is ensured.
                Last edited by trhuke; 03-13-2019, 08:15 PM.

Comment

• abenjami
                  abenjami commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This is pretty much the alternative I had in mind except my hitting area is indoors on a wood floor. So I've been trying to think of a way to protect the wood floor while also keeping the base and hitting strip from moving around. I would definitely have to put something on the bottom of the Fiberbuilt hitting strip to protect the floor from the metal on the bottom, and obviously plywood on a wood floor is going to scratch...

A no-slip carpet pad ought to work for the stance thing. Probably a floor mat of some kind would do for the Fiberbuilt or perhaps just a bigger no-slip pad under both. I slide my Fiberbuilt back and forth so I'm not constantly hitting off one spot. Or take a piece of the outdoor felt-like carpet and attach it under the whole thing.

Comment

Working...
                X