Announcement

Collapse

TGC Tour - Congratulations!

Congrats to @Shardak (NET) and @Bradford (GROSS) winning the TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - OHL Classic !

Join this weeks TGC 2018 FALL TOUR - The RSM Classic with 2 rounds at TPC Boston : https://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum...he-rsm-classic
See more
See less

Projector - image shift / offsett / skewing, is this possible?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector - image shift / offsett / skewing, is this possible?

Hi,

have the opportunity to build somewhat of a sim-setup at our new house. I am new to projectors, but was wondering about what seems to be called "image shift" or "offsetting" according to what I have learned from this forum so far.

I would like to install a projector in the corner of my room and be able to turn it between two different positions:
    1. projecting the R-motion / TGC sim on a curtain marked with blue on the attached picture
    2. turning the projector and projecting tv, playstation and such to another wall (marked red)

The reason is the hitting at the blue wall would leave the best swing area if we place a sofa against the (on the picture) right wall. And sitting in that same sofa, it would be logical to watch tv, golf and such on the red wall.

My question is: Does any projector do this?

If not, you should be able to get a mount that possibly allows rotation or modify one fairly easily so you could mount the projector in the middle of the room and just rotate the projector.

Comment

What are the dimensions of that room? Most projectors that have lens shift will only shift the image so far. I think you will probably need a combination of lens shift and a rotating mount as mentioned by wbond.

Comment

I’m not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but the feature that does this is “horizontal keystone”. My projector has horizontal and vertical keystone capabilities. I find it useful so that I can place the projector out of the “line of fire”. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by PalmLine View Post
          I’m not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for but the feature that does this is “horizontal keystone”. My projector has horizontal and vertical keystone capabilities. I find it useful so that I can place the projector out of the “line of fire”. Hope this helps.
          Thanks, have researched about that and this is the correct term for what I meant.

Regarding the mount, yes, was planning for a turnable one, but the projector will still be offset towards each screen. Learning more about keystone it seems that it is never really recommended to offset further away than outside the screen edges, quality loss will be higher the further one goes (of course, perhaps more important more movie buffs than golf simmers). But learning that I might consider Wbonds suggestion of placing in the middle of the rooms, that would bring it inbounds of both screens. And it could sit the same distance from both screens, so its just turning it and no extra calibration. Dont know why I was so fixated on mounting in the corner in the first place :-)

Comment

Keystone is different to lens shift or offsetting. Lens shift physically moves the lens assembly, horizontal keystone will allow you to move/angle the projector slightly to the side and then digitally square up the picture. You will loose image quality using this method. In my experience if you have a projector with lens shift mounted in a corner you will also end up using both lens shift and keystone correction. Like you sy though stick in the middle and just rotate it on a mount as needed

Comment

Yes. Horizontal keystone will reduce image quality. Nonetheless, I find it useful when used for a little offset. It give me the flexibility to not be too exact in positioning the projector (I can just adjust the keystone).

Comment

I would go with 2 mounts. This peerless mount will allow you to move the projector in about 1 minute with a thumb screw.

Peerless-AV PRG Precision Gear Projector Mount for Projectors Weighing Up to 50 lb (Black)

Comment

Can you mount the projector where the centerline of both screens intersect?

Comment

Yes, that is possible, dont know why I did not think of it myself.

Comment

Working...
                    X